2.4 ghz question

Hi I had a bad crash today and some of my radio gear has been damaged quite badly.

My 7 ch 2.4 ghz rx had come apart and some of the brass pins were bent quite badly. The rx may be bin material but I have succefully straightened all the pins and got it looking pretty good again. I've powered it up again and connected a servo to it but the red led is no longer green as it was while bided to my tx, it ir now red. I've tried binding it but it wont.

One of the ariels is damaged, its missing about an inch of ariel.

Would the shortened ariel cause it to not bind /?

Or in short is the RX knackered. The ariels can be easily changed from what I can see so is trying a new set a good chance it is all that may be needed ?

Thanks Jamie

I think the question is would you be willing to risk a model, engine, servo's etc to the chance that you have successfully repaired the receiver and it wont fail under vibration or heat.

Personally I don't think its worth the risk.

Regards Paul

PS in answer to your question about missing an aerial, depending on the receiver type, the aerial is the smaller diameter part which sticks out the end of the larger diameter aerial cable. As such if you are missing the end part, that is the aerial and all your left with is the cable which could be shorting to the outer. It may be worth carefully cutting back the outer to give you the same length of inner as the other aerial and retry binding. It may work.

Sorry Jamie, but if it's damaged to the extent that you describe then I wouldn't risk flying it again. The next crash will probably cost much more that a replacement 617.

If you want a cheaper replacement for the 617, have a look at the FrSky FASST-compatible rx's. I used those for the past couple of years without any problems before getting a Taranis.

Posted by Jez Harris 1 on 24/07/2014 20:47:47:

Do you really think its worth risking the following for the sake of a new Rx -

Losing a model / engine ./ electronics.?

Causing someone an injury due to a loss of signal ?

Bin It !

Jez

Agreed - any serious crash - especially the rx like this I would have no hesitation of binning it.

We're talking safety here. Potential injury to people and damage to property, legal issues arising, adverse publicity for the hobby, etc etc etc

Even if the OP manages to frig the aerial and get a green binding light, by the sound of things it would be sheer stupidity to risk flying it. The clue is in "rx... come apart", "pins ... bent quite badly". Who knows what other unseen damage may have been caused by that sort of impact

Return to manufacturer for assessment, or binning, are the ONLY responsible options

I saw the state of it on your other thread. Bin it mate, for 45 quid its not worth loosing another model or potentially injuring someone if it comes down on their head.

Also, should the rx fail and it hit someone, and its discovered that the rx was damaged previously and not replaced then im afraid you go to prison as you will have breached the air navigation order by 'recklessly or negligently endangering persons or property, or an aircraft and those persons within it' (see BMFA handbook). As the people who aim laser pens at passenger jets will tell you, the CAA have no sense of humour and you will be kept at her majesty's pleasure for quite some time.

I know that all sounds overly dramatic, but worst case that is what will happen.

If you fly and you know there is a faulty Rx which has had problems, what happens if there is a crash and someone is injured?

The CAA, insurance company and the police might take you to the cleaners

Edited By cymaz on 25/07/2014 06:29:24

Hi guys , its getting binned. I didn't know about the FrSky Rx units. There that cheap getting a rx serviced or checked over is totally not worth it. For everyone thinking I'd chance it trust me its not happening....binned. I'm sick enough loosing the model yesterday. I dont want a repeated loss like that.

At the end of the day it could have actually been the Rx unit that failed during flight and caused the origional crash!!!

ITS BINNED laugh

Thanks for the info on other Rx options..

Ps. can you bind multiple Rx units to one Tx at a time or can you only bind one at a time. I've only ever run on one rx unit before and there that cheap I'll probably get 3 of them