B24 Liberator - 1/12th scale PSS

Andy Meade

Apparently the bigger one isn't too bad - good accuracy and decent print area. I did see the miniature one in an email shot from HK yesterday. It looks ok but that is quite a small print area. I might still be tempted though when they arrive in the UK warehouse!

• 3 years later...

Well, just to make sure this is kept tickling along and not abandoned like Phil's A10 devil

I retrieved the fuselage from the loft last weekend, and quickly went to work finishing off the fuselage planking.

20181026_123931.jpg

Lots of sanding later, she was given the once over by Polyfilla's lightweight stuff. It's a bit more money than my usual Wilke's or other fillers, but it really is great stuff for applying and sanding back

20181027_124651.jpg

Tailplane mounting to sort next, along with finalising the bomb-bay mechanism, then I can get this glassed for ding-proof-ness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still tickling it along - bottom of fus is glassed for protection now, as I finish off the back end (turret mount, tailplane mount, bellcranks etc) :

20181205_213058.jpg

Tailplane and elevators all glassed and knocked back, ready for finalising of mechanism. Here sat on top of my little Seahawk that is just having it's cockpit made :

20181205_174135.jpg

Edited By Andy Meade on 07/12/2018 15:57:50

Thanks Dirk yes I've not really got that much of a deadline, I'll just try and get a few airframes finished during next season. These include the 1/4 scale Typhoon, the big C17, this B24, the Seahawk, and hopefully my Ilyushin 102 (another one not modelled at all, as far as I can see).

After that, I'll be getting on with a large-ish Gannet, 5m span M55 Mystic, and the quarter scale FW190., but they are next winter's build really. Phew!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

The builds keep coming, and the poor Libby just keeps getting pushed back.  Since I started the B24 I've built 14 other PSS aircraft, so with the big Me262 complete and maidened it's time to finish off this poor old girl.

I have at last fixed the joiner tube into the fuselage, made up the webs from balsa and liteply for the wing tubes, fixed them in and roughly finished the surface around them.  Next up was the serious part of the wing manufacture - cutting flaps and ailerons out, facing them all with 1/4" balsa, adding birch ply hinge mounts to the flaps and wing, making up the tips with some laser cut profiles and scrap balsa sheets.  I'll draw up the servo boxes today and laser them out tonight with a bit of luck.

At last she's moving along!  I will print the canopy and nose plugs this week too, as I've seen some great results on RCGroups with vac forming over them after using a different finishing technique.  The plastic work is really the last of the big hurdles to getting this one in the air I think.

PXL_20230805_165426007.jpg

PXL_20230806_152325184.jpg

PXL_20230806_155359612.jpg

PXL_20230806_194227733.MP.jpg

PXL_20230806_194234320.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress on the Libby, she's getting there bit by bit but has been slowed down somewhat by the bomb-bay mechanism.

Flaps are all attached, and the wings getting close to being ready to glass.  In the pictures the 3D printed nacelles have been pushed on too, but I may re-print these as they are a bit heavy.  At least they're in front of the CG I guess.

PXL_20230902_165732865.jpg

PXL_20230902_165743271.jpg

• Like 2

I've been tweaking the bomb bay door mechanism as mentioned.  The doors act like roller shutters as per full size, with printed corrugated doors running in a curved channel that comes from the underside to the side of the aircraft.  Printed gears transfer drive to the holes in the doors, and the gears will be driven by a servo with a GT2 timing belt, one per side.  If (more like when) the doors become creased or damaged form slope landings, I'll be able to pull them out the top of the runners and replace with a fresh one for the next flight.  I'll print half a dozen spares and see how we go from there.

At some point I'll design and print the bomb carriers to fill up the 440mm long cavernous bay with ordnance to be dropped.

PXL_20230923_091959820.jpg

PXL_20230923_092117929.jpg

PXL_20230924_133917874.jpg

• Like 5