SC 52 2-Stroke keeps cutting out.

Ben Kelly

Personally I much prefer a three line set up rather than two....if you use two lines you need to keep taking the fuel line off the carb & this is a) fiddly b) bound to weaken the tube leading to holes. Use a dedicated fill line & be happy. One to the exhaust for a bit of pressure & one to the carb to feed fuel..... Then you can seal the feed line with a clip, M3 screw or one of those nice bungs from Micro Mold.

To get the carb somewhere near, open the main needle about 2 turns. put a length of fuel tube over the fuel feed nipple, close the carb so its about 2mm open & screw the idle needle in until it GENTLY bottoms. Put the other end of the fuel tube in yer mouth & blow down it.......slowly open the idle needle until you can hear the air hiss into the carb & your face turns a slightly lighter shade of puce!!! If you open the needle lots of turns then the jet is blocked & heres your problem.!!!

The engine should start at these settings. Tune the main needle for max revs.with the nose held up & then richen the mixture about 1/4 turn.....always trade a few revs for a bit of smoke...means yer engine will last longer. Throttle back to idle.....if it cuts dead its too weak..open the idle needle slightly & try again...if it splutters before dying its too rich...screw the needle in slightly & try again. If it idles OK let it stabilise (30 secs at idle) & then open the throttle.....if it cuts dead its too weak, if it splutters & smokes a lot before picking up its too rich....see above. Keep tweaking the idle needle until you have a nice stable idle & smooth pick up...it can take a while. Oh & don't try & alter the needle with the engine running.....you only have 5 fingers & it will probably take 5 attempts to get it set right so you will probably run out of fingers to hold the screwdriver....if you get my meaning!!!! 

Once its set & set correctly LEAVE IT ALONE....you simply don't need to go winding the mixture controls in & out everytime you go near the model...unless it changes from blazing hot to freezing or you change the fuel or something. If its been running fine & suddenly it starts playing up then chances are its a leak or a blockage or the plug.....after all when was the last time you changed the mixture settings on your car/bike/lawnmower...it just ain't necessary in my opinion.....

Enjoy your trip to the US.......try & visit a modelshop out there....its a lot cheaper than here!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Well I am very pleased to say that it is running well, I replace the clunk line and that seemed to stop the problems (touch wood) this engine has bags of power when its working, gives me unlimited vertical on an irvine wildcard . What would be the best run in procedure for one of these engines from new, as I am considering getting another one ( that power really is addictive) Thanks MIchael

Yep, as Timbo sez......an ABC engines doesn't need much running in...indeed using the old method of very rich "four stroking" running can cause damage as the piston/liner fit is extremely tight at the top of the stroke....it needs the heat of combustion to expand the liner a bit to get the fit exactly right. Rich running doesn't get the engine up to temp & the piston/liner fit stays too tight.

Personally I would run a tank or two through it on the ground first at a slightly rich setting...(perhaps with a slightly smaller prop to get the revs/heat up on the richer mixture but probably not knowing me..) Once you can get a reasonably reliable idle out of it......go fly but keep the mixture slightly rich. After a couple more tanks try & tune the motor so it peaks out & holds peak revs. If it starts to slow after a few seconds, its not quite run in so another tank on the slightly rich setting & try again. It should only take a maximum of 6 tanks to be fully run in. Then peak the motor.....richen the mixture a few clicks & enjoy!!! (always trade a few revs for a bit of exhaust smoke...means the mixture is slightly rich & your engine will love you for it!!!)