Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

Managed to get Alan's Spitfire down to the Golf club for some pictures today . 

There is always room to improve , but I think we are getting to the point where the photos are quite convincing . 

I think we should give ourselves a pat on the back when we get to the final result especially when we compare our modelling with that of the plastic construction world . After all , ours have to actually fly !

Rabbit Leader getting impatient for start up :

kiwi1.jpg

kiwi3.jpg

kiwi 7.jpg

• Like 7

A superb rendition of a marvellous aeroplane,

P7350 KL-B did four flypasts here in Wednesday, unfortunately I wasn't here, due to work 😞 She really is the most iconic Spitfire, neck and neck with MH434 - coutesy of being picked for the ground-breaking Airfix 1/24th scale kit back in the day. 😎

14 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Last one I promise !  Having grown up playing on Hornchurch aerodrome , I can assure you that this exactly how Alan Deere would have viewed it in 1940 .😉

And how we would have seen it in books!

Hope you like the photo vintage edition.....

Spit_Old_01.jpg

Edited by Jesus Cardin
  • Like 5

Thanks for all of your kind words chaps . 

The main point though . to be taken from these pictures , is that a well proven kit (obviously doesnt have to be mine ) can be taken to a much higher level with very little artistic skill . When you know that the end result will fly nicely , and you have seen other people succeed with it , there is a wealth of information available on this site to help you make a real winner . 

Paul Johnson is very kindly making lots of little details to help everyone along and I personally get a big kick out of seeing people progress to lighter and better finished models . I also don't think that building the same model twice is such a bad thing . I defy anyone to say that they built the very best version the first time , even if it is their pride and joy . 

Plus , with WW2 , there are so many different variants of each design ,that they can appear totally differently .

Good example being the Spitfire . A Spitfire IX has a very different look to am early Spitfire and it isnt really about the nose length . The reality is that the blunt spinner and stumpy exhaust stacks give the nose a much shorter look rather than the actual few inches . The late variant paint job , particularly with invasion stripes , makes the IX look more sleek and shark like as do the smaller fuselage roundels that make the body look longer . 

In the same vein , the P51B like Princess Elizabeth , looks very racy compared to the regular D variant . BTW ,I do believe that the P51 kit could be built a pound lighter quite easily as it is over engineered to make it a "click together kit " .

Having said that , everyone is delighted with its benign behaviour . 

• Like 3

As Richard has mentioned I have been tinkering with other 'bits' other than the scale wheels. Richard some time ago mentioned that a company used to produce wrap around plastic legs for their models. So I suggested that we could try the idea. Well it expanded some what, and these are the result of that chat.

20220723_131456.thumb.jpg.c1766c28de00359af6c6fc0abca42af0.jpg

Fishtail exhausts, fuel filler cap (saves on pens being cut up 😉) wheel caps for the original light foam wheels supplied in the kit,  trim covers for the rudder and elevator, wrap around legs, U/C doors and cockpit panel.

The holes in the door is for cable ties which I originally used for my model with oleos, you can glue the doors directly onto the legs should you choose. All printed from PET-G so being in the sun is no issue and can be easily super glued together.

The doors would need to be lengthened to go over the coil if using the piano wire legs.

'Triggers Broom' was used as a demo platform to give you the idea.

If you want to know more about 'Triggers Broom' It's an old model of Richards which only Richard knows the count of how many wings and fuselages it's had!!

Also there was no room in the boot when he moved....  

20220723_131038.thumb.jpg.8f89d86a97888b78974e9c3292fce170.jpg

20220723_131109.thumb.jpg.315721e70e12cf294a9e1688975f0cc5.jpg

As currently fitted to mine for the new wheel trials..

20220713_171501.thumb.jpg.d858ad7acf0e694fa50802b140eba11b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

All, after finishing my foamboard Mosquito ( which I hated building but is a dream to fly) I am back to good old wood. 

I have started on the spit and loving it.  I am making good progress..... but  I have a quick question.  Do the blocks in the photo go in the wings for the retaining bolts to go through and stop the skins getting crushed? 

20230511_204959.jpg

Ah Jonathan,those little strips go under the front of the retract plates in order to increase the glueing area and therefor reduce the chance of the plate ripping out on a rough landing . If you have already glued the plate in , dont panic . The same or better result could be had by adding a vertical web or soft block , under the front of the plate and glued to the forward dihedral brace . Its all about spreading the impact load when the wheels strike the ground and try to lever the plate out and back . 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well To all the sleepy heads on this forum I thought I'd add something to generate a little interest.

I have moved away from Fusion 360 and am now using Freecad as I cannot afford a subscription to obtain the 'extra' functions especially when dealing with any dxf files.

I cannot give enough credit to a you tuber MangoJelly Solutions for FreeCAD as he has helped me enormously.

Anyway the latest project is Mk9 late exhaust, this has been scaled from the original drawings I have in dxf format of the Mk9 to the same scale as our model.

20230607_084911.thumb.jpg.5ef92d9f5507f96325d49014ad8774c0.jpg

20230607_084925.thumb.jpg.eb6107307f6da0c2e818d214d63a5ebc.jpg

These have been painted and fitted to my model

20230607_113449.thumb.jpg.d02073e168225493431599e479f45af5.jpg

20230607_113722.thumb.jpg.7480219232ded5547bb16dc20be1ae34.jpg