Every so often I think of contributors

Erfolg

Every so often, I think about people who i have not seen any posting from.

Often there seems to be some unfortunate reason, which seems to take them away from our hobby.

On that basis I was thinking, I have not seen a posting from Myron Beaumont, Nor Flyingtilbroke and Eric Bray. All are characters in their own ways. I think that Eric and Flyingtilbroke had wives that were not in the best of health and I think Myron also had some health issues.

So are you/ they still modelling?

Eric is elsewhere now, Myron looks in from time to time (around Xmas last time I noticed, IIRC) and I believe FTB decided to have a bit of a break from posting. CSB pops up when he isn't studying....teeth 2

Of course, any or all of them may be watching as we type.....face 3

Pete

Bob Johnstone, aka Flytilbroke has posted on here occasionally in the past year. most recently on 24th December. He also posts occasionally on RCMF where he was last "active", though not posting, on January 8th.

In this post a bit over a year ago he announced that his wife had sadly passed away in October 2013.

Bob, if you're looking in, post to say hello. Same for the other 'missing' members too.

I know now that a few of them do look in on the site, I am also aware that in some cases events have occurred which had an impact that probably has changed priorities at the very least.

One or two I understand continue to be active, although elsewhere.

If I am honest, many of the reasons that potentially have altered contributors contact via the site, I do find tough not to be other than saddened.

Not to wax too philisophical, but everything on the internet is fleeting. People forget that, that the internet forgets. They get really involved, and 25000 posts later, they lose interest, or get banned, and very few people remember them. Plenty of legendary posters that nobody really remembers. Who were the top posters of 2004? Nobody remembers. Or, very few do.

Not being bitter or negative, just realistic.

Forums, posters, and the internet in general, it's all very temporary, it is the nature of the beast to move on to the next thing sooner than later...

I do see the point you are making, although i regard this forum a kin to going to the field. A lot more than just writing about a model. It has the potential to discuss modelling problems, yes, model related, generally friendly advice. It can be similar to going to the field on a club day, a chance to pass the time of day with others who have similar interests, to learn about some things that you may be unaware of, a bit of a chit chat, as it were, over the garden fence.

Imaging contributors locations, from rough land outside of Aberdeen, the remoteness of the Great Glen with the mountains ever present, at the other extreme, the large fields, waving wheat, or sun flowers and blazing sun of mid France. You associate the locations with the contributors, and imagine their experiences.

I do feel for those where the non modelling experiences swamps their feelings to the extent that they withdraw from one of their great passions, be it building, flying, or both. It is very sad.

Just don't confuse the online experience with the real world...it's just not the same, and one of the most important things to remember is nobody really remembers.

People get caught up in posting, in forums...some make it a real centerpiece of their lives...which is fine...but there is no PERMANENCE to it. Whatever satisfaction you get out of it is great, what I am saying is your status, your posts, your relationship to that community, it does not last.

As far as people leaving the hobby, that has always been a constant....only a small percentage are "lifers", that's just how it is...there can be bad reasons, like economics, a divorce, whatever...or good reasons...they can just get burned out.

I think I get what you have written.

Although I am not sure i totally agree in all respects.

The people are real, they are not close friends, best described as aquintances. Often you do not remotely understand them. That many things written, are misintrepreted etc.

In my case most of my relations do not live in the UK and never have. Much of what i know about them, is from telephone conversations, letters, the odd internet conversation, yet when we do meet, they are not strangers,

In a similar vein I do see contributers as real people, not necessarily ones I really know or even half understand, yet many of the things which happen or have happened to them, you do relate to them.

I agree with you Erf. As you say we often haven't meet each other but there is a definitely feeling of "community" about this forum. You do feel that in a sense you "know" those others that post regularly. And of course it is helped by the fact that we do meet, or at least some do, at Greenacres in the summer. Also the model aeroplane scene in the UK is sufficiently small that there are many "real" friendships that exist between particular members and that is so multi-threaded that it also acts to knit the community together.

BEB

I too see the point you are making easy tiger.

But, this forum is much more than just a place to post, it's different in many ways.

Stick around a while longer and you will see that this speck of a forum on the infinitely expanding Internet is a place that makes you feel at home, where members (wether they post a lot or a little) do genuinely feel a connection to eachother.

It's a really close community and as all "real world" communities people get on, and sometimes they disagree and stop talking to others for a while or in the case of some, forever maybe.

But what shines through here is each others genuine interest in not only what is posted but also the human behind the post.

Remember there are many here who do meet up at shows etc and that makes this hobby so much more than just flying! 😄

And connections like these will never be lost or forgotten, it's just that sometimes life may get in way and I think it's great that concern about others in this community is so prevalent here 😃

Well...again, not meaning to be negative, but everybody says that about their forum community, and, usually, five years later or so, it's a mostly different group of people saying the exact same thing.

We all want to believe in that, about the power and permanence of an online community, but my experience over the course of some near-20 years dorking around on the internet is it's always changing, a new crew is always taking over, and the past gets archived, or lost in a server change, or just plain old deleted.

It's just the nature of the internet. Does not mean you cannot have fun right now.

I have reflected on us modellers as a community, I believe that there are about 30, 000 BMFA members, from this I have guesses that there could be about 60, 000 modellers.

I have then gone through how many modellers I have actually met, the number is over the years incredibly large, particularly during the years when i was a competitor and competition manager (or director as they seem to call themselves today). Confining myself to recent years, I have met approaching 300. Perhaps 1%.

We are an incredibly small group,

Taking my mind back to Greenacres, I do remember meeting and having short chats with The Good Professor, Steve Hardgreeves, Gerhard, Chris Bott, Andy Green, Phil Winks, Woolston,Tim Hooper, Richard Harris, Racing Snake. I did think I had met Wiltshire and certainly remember the individuals and there models ranging from a splendid Fw 190D, the builder of an unorthodox diamond I have also met a number of people through this forum such as Olly who have helped each other to our mutual benefit. Without this furom Many i would not have met, never the mind those who I have turned to for help and advice, and received it.

All a consequence of the forum

Although meeting indirectly, but because of the forum, I knew who Alex Whittacker was, and what he was up to, and like wise with Andy Ellison, when I met them. Which did amuse me as I thought he was my boss (AS), and he had kept it very quite, and we talked dailey, then I realised just the same name, same business, totally different guy.

I have become an avid supporter of fly ins via the BMFA area, i have no hesitation in voting in favour of providing BMFA support. Again, influenced by this forum and going twice to the Greenacres fly in.

Before I retired, my job was as a Engineer, which involved management of projects ,design and latterly financial aspects. This left me as a pessimist, believing not all will go as wanted, that contingencies and alternative strategies are a necessity. Yet I am pretty positive about the members of this small community.

Just as with my working community, I do think there is a spirit of camaraderie, we have a lot more in common than that that separates us. All of this does jog my mind from time to time, when suddenly there is an awareness of not hearing about them or what they think of an issue.

Yeh! I am pretty positive about this forum and its membership.

Edited By Erfolg on 02/02/2015 15:13:15

I had a message given that I, Myron, and Eric had been asked about. So a short visit to say HI FOLKS. Myron is not in the best of health sadly. I did enjoy a visit with him and Chrissie last August. Eric is busy elsewhere and seems to be doing fine.

Thanks guys for the concern. I will try to pop in a bit more often. Won't be a lot tho'.... Yet.

I was posting regularly on the vauxhallownersnetwork for around 8 years. I went to big meetings and events and some shows, made a few friends. No longer having a Vauxhall didn't stop me posting, but a 'life' event somehow made a change. So I can understand a little bit how people might drift away somewhat, but I still go back occasionally.

I do hope that Myron gets well soon, he has always been one of my favourite posters and such a nice guy. Send him my best wishes.

There are lots of contributors of past who do not post much these days, which is a shame since I have enjoyed reading their contributions. One that came to mind is Graham C, but upon looking at his most recent posts I was glad to see he still posts reasonably regularly. I very much enjoy them!

There are others who I do miss. Tom T and Chris Edwards 3 are two who are of a similar age to me but are not posting here a lot for various reasons. I have seen less of Rusty C and Major, and Tony H (but I do see his posts fairly often). I could go on.

I have never met anyone from the forum which is a shame, since the entertainment and education from this forum has and continues to be excellent fun. It has changed whilst I have been here, not for the better or worse. There are several current posters who I really enjoy to follow such as Danny Fenton, Erfolg, the almighty BEB and many more.

As for me I have some rather important exams in June.This takes priority, but I continue to enjoy model building and flying to keep myself sane. I will carry on enjoying the forum as long as I am welcome!

CS

Good to hear from you FTB! Like Erf says always found the seaplane stuff interesting.

Its sad to hear that Myron is not well - although I had heard this before through other channels. I think his eyesight is a problem for him? Is that right?

Yes of course people come and go. As a mod maybe you notice it even more. Some come, stay a short while then go. Others come as new faces and after while its feels like they been hare for ages and they settle in. A few even come, go and then come again!

But beneath the inevitable movement there is a core that continues and has been here a long time. Take a look at few old threads - yes there will be a few names you don't hear from now - but its actually very surprising how many names there are that are still just as familiar today - and the OP is one of them!

We're always happy to welcome new members - and we don't want to become cliquey where new members feel they can't "break in". And if they decide we're not for them - well that's OK to. But it is good when people really become part of the community. Long may it continue.

BEB