chris foss centiphase

Hi all,does anyone know where l can get a plan for a chris foss centiphase?,tried all the usual sources of plans without any luck,l am more than happy to cover any reasonable costs for someone to copy thier plan for me,failing that,outright purchase would be fine.....l have this urge to own one of these again but l believe they are no longer availiable,so, can anyone help??

Hope so, I just finished building one last year!! The first Centis were just a plan pack and rib sets cut by Chris.

I've had four Centi's, one written off, one converted to a Hi-Phase (144" span T-tail) and two that I fly now.

The hollow balsa wing version is much lighter and a much better flyer.

GB

Posted by Gary Binnie on 04/03/2015 23:11:45:

Chris has many more glider plans available that are not on the list.

Photo of the half built model is my latest Centi-Phase with built up wings, flown late last year.

Gary, that's good to know. I have a damaged Centiphase fuselage, that wouldn't take much to repair, in the loft. Built up wing would be a better proposition than foam wings, I'd want to add spoilers as you have but also ailerons.

It must be the camera angle but the part built wing appears to have parallel chord, which is why I thought it a High Phase.

This is my old Centiphase taken way back when...

pat with centiphase.jpg

Am currently thinking about a Centiphase or an Aquila. Would probably put an electric motor in the front though as I live in Lincolnshire.

One thing I have not yet decided for both is whether to go with the original aerofoils or go for somthing more modern that is easy to build. Some form of RG14/15 or SD 7055 for instance.

Have original fill size plans for both and a Centiphase canopy.

Have a slightly damaged HiPhase in the garage with a home brewed balsa fuselage as I broke the GF one a long time ago.

Max

All good stuff. The built-up Centi-Phase wing has spoilers on the plan, line operated from a fuselage servo.

I left the second wing joiner rod out, downsized to micro servos (positioned well forward to save nose weight) and generally took all care to keep it light. The wing loading is 8 oz sq ft instead of 10+ for the foam wing and it's a different machine.

Hope we're not hijacking your thread Jack!

My Hi-Phase, fin cut off a Centi-Phase fuselage and replaced with a balsa fin, later Hi-Phases have a two-piece dedicated fuselage. Early versions had built-up wings, later kitted versions had foam wings with 1" more chord (to counter the extra weight!).

Hi guys,dont worry about hijacking the thread{is that a pun??),in my younger days(!!),l loved all of chris gliders and still do,l dont get up the hill as much as l would like,so flat field it is,from memory there wasnt much to beat a centiphase or its bigger brothers,if anyone has a fus etc they are willing to part with,damaged or not,give me a shout,and lets do a deal....07873337796,will get me almost anytime,if not,leave a msg and l will call you,cheers for now guys...jack

Thanks Gary,its a pity you cant advertise on ebay,l bet there is loads of stuff lying around!!,l will be getting to as many swapmeets as l can...maybe l will get lucky,if l can get hold of a plan l think l may have a go at moulding my own fuz,did that years ago,worked out ok,not to prffesional standards but ok,thanks to you all,the hunt continues!!

There are 'wanted' sections in the classifieds on here and the new BMFA classifieds.

Also (and possibly aimed at the right audience) is the BARCS website though you need 10 posts to enter wanted or for sale adverts.

I will build a wooden fuselage someday, my first Centi was wooden but was given to me ready to go. Wouldn't be surprised if the original moulds were not made from one of these.

Edited By Gary Binnie on 07/03/2015 20:12:05

Hi guys,just a quick follow up ref the centiphase,chris informs me that although the kit is no longer availiable-hasnt been for 20+ years-he can still supply plans for the built up version,so l will be sending him some beer vouchers and clearing my bench...traditional building needs a lot more room than the modern day assembly type kits!!!!....now,as the sun is shining and the sky is no longer leaking,l am of up the hill,cheers for now guys,!!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Centi-phase fans too;

I have an airworthy Centiphase which must now be about forty years old. It's built up to the plans which I still have. Much modified and fully aerobatic with ailerons and reduced dihedral. It has given me very many hours of flying enjoyment over the years and is now dusted off occasionally - from up under the garage rafters. I also built my own stretched version, also with ailerons and 120" span but preferred flying the original version 100". Now 76 I have too many other interests to slope soar much nowadays. I enjoy making wood stuff mostly; see Blog here: Woodcrafter ;

Happy soaring,

Graham

• 2 years later...

Hi. I have a beautifully built (by John Goldsmith, a quality builder in the 1980s, 2lbs 8oz all up weight with old gear) all wood Centiphase that I would like to get flying again. I've long ago forgotten what the Centre of Gravity position is. If anyone knows and can help me I'd be very grateful. Also think that for practical reasons (age, and lack of field for bungying) I may have to modify the nose and install an electric motor for launching. Has anyone ever tried this with a Centiphase and if so what motor/lipo setup did they use. Thanks in hope ?

Hi Mike.

The CG range is between 3 1/4 and  3 1/2 inches (82 and 88 mm) aft of the leading edge at the root. That is between the main wing joiner rod(s) and the hole in the fuselage for the retaining hooks.

Rudder throw is 1 1/4 (1.25) inches at the trailing edge (maximum)

Elevator throw is 5/16 inches each way at the trailing edge.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by Gary Binnie
Clarify

Great story.

I've not seen an electrified Centi-Phase, I guess it's a possible conversion but I couldn't bring myself to chop the nose off such a lovely shape!. The Hi-Phase is nose heavy  and needs the battery to be in the centre section.

They are great on the slope on a light wind day if that is an option. If room at the field is a problem you could use a shorter bungee and try the challenge of getting away from a low launch.

15 minutes ago, Gary Binnie said:

Great story.

I've not seen an electrified Centi-Phase, I guess it's a possible conversion but I couldn't bring myself to chop the nose off such a lovely shape!. The Hi-Phase is nose heavy  and needs the battery to be in the centre section.

They are great on the slope on a light wind day if that is an option. If room at the field is a problem you could use a shorter bungee and try the challenge of getting away from a low launch.

I know, its a conundrum. But I don't live near a slope (let alone one the landowner would allow slope soaring on these changed days - discuss!) and since my model glider club folded I've joined a power plane club that flies in a National Trust park. They fly electric power (which I've bought an Arrows Husky to discover the joys of) and electric gliders as well, but not pure gliders. But the public can wander through the area and I think any kind of line stretched out will not be welcomed. I hardly ever used to fly the Centiphase on the slope as I kept it for the gentler less hard-landing risk of flat field thermal work, though I agree it is a great plane on the slope in light winds. What I did also have back then is a tatty old Graupner Amigo. I have restored and just converted its Graupner engine pod to take an electric motor (fiddly job, but got it done). I never used the pod with the Cox 049 engine (ruins the point of quiet clean flight!) so it will be interesting to see how it flies (2S Lipo). One good thing even on the slope about electric would be that it can save you that walk down the hill (or worse) if the lift lets you down.

I looks like the Centiphase could take a 3S Lipo installation without having to make any looks changing modifications except chopping the nose off. The big question I need to research is can a 3S Lipo powered motor take a 100" glider (even a light one like the wooden Centiphase)  up to the skies at any useful rate. I'm hopeful it can but if anyone reading this has thoughts I'd love to hear. I really didn't want to do anything t change the glider. I even wanted to get the Futaba 6M 35Mz gear fixed up so it could be flown as per its original setup. But in reality it would never get flown as a glider, and planes are for flying. On the plus side, the modern airborne servos and receiver are so much lighter than vintage gear that, with a compact Lipo battery also, I'll probably end up with a similar all up weight to the original glider. Also it looks like that natural place to put it (Lipo in the nose behind motor) might mean minimal non-useful weights are needed to get the C of G right. And if I chop the nose off carefully I could even make an arrangement where if I want to fly it as a glider (or for static display) I could remove the prop and spinner and put the wooden nose back on ha ha. Anyhooos, it could all make an interesting retirement project.

The forum software doesn't seem to want me to attach a link to a photo, so attached is a photo of the Amigo in the final stages of its electric pod conversion - another superb plane for light wind conditions (I wouldn't have chosen blue solarfilm as the ideal choice for visibility, but its what I had in my modelling box at the time! It looks pretty though in flight)

PXL_20220323_192255229_small.thumb.jpg.cc2df6826d834919a8d5031b562e36ff.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mike 

I've looked at an electric conversion for someone else's Osprey 100, which is a similar traditional build 100 inch span glider.  We were intending to use a 900kv motor (Quantum II); 10x5 folding prop; 30amp brushless ESC, and a 3S lipo (battery sized to balance the glider and fit into the nose).  This setup should have provided an adequate 700 ft/minute rate of climb.

In the end he kept it as a pure glider.

I have a smaller Radian Pro (78 inch span) with a similar power setup, and it climbs like a rocket.

Simon

9 minutes ago, Simon Burch 1 said:

Hi Mike 

I've looked at an electric conversion for someone else's Osprey 100, which is a similar traditional build 100 inch span glider.  We were intending to use a 900kv motor (Quantum II); 10x5 folding prop; 30amp brushless ESC, and a 3S lipo (battery sized to balance the glider and fit into the nose).  This setup should have provided an adequate 700 ft/minute rate of climb.

In the end he kept it as a pure glider.

I have a smaller Radian Pro (78 inch span) with a similar power setup, and it climbs like a rocket.

Simon

Really useful info Simon and thanks. I'll check out those items/specs. I'm new to electric stuff so have been relying on the guys at Steve Webb Models to guide me. I did spec out some ideas for the Centiphase so might come back and post on here about them to see what you and others might have to say. I have a Diamond 2.5m foamie ARTF of similar size but that comes with a 4S pack (and climbs like a rocket). Don't think I can fit 4s in the Centiphase though.