Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

For once the Northern Powerhouse has been blessed with a good day for flying. So good I took 4 models with me.

During the incredibly bad weather had took the opportunity to look at my HK Firenza and its undercarriage, which was wobbling (a technical term) back and forth. Although in principle i could be encouraged to turn a blind eye to a problem with a aircraft that has been a disappointment, now that it this was causing juddering when being rolled, enough that a good landing was impossible I fixed it. Along with me it went.

Perhaps a little monotonously I started with my now venerable Delta. This model gets me into a grove, perhaps bad habits, as I tear around the sky flat out. In most respects everything is easier if you rely on power and speed. It boosts the ego.

Next up was Firenza, remaining a disappointment. On full power I failed on my first attempt of the ground. The second attempt took at least 100 yards. I now find that with more batteries on board 2 * 2200 4s the model lacks elevator authority. To the extent that on turning, full up elevator was needed to prevent to much nose drop. Rolls OK, not enough power and elevator to loop. Never mind all the other things I had planned. So another dose of looking at is required.

Rolling out the PZ Albatross DVa restored a bit of fun. Never fails me just a trust worthy work horse. Flies well inverted, stall turns , loops are dead easy. What it does not do is knife edge, not quite enough motor power.

Finally my trainer, another model turning to be a real stalwart. Although the battery power is limited to 6 minutes on 2 *2200 4s batteries, it is a star. Inverted flying great, loops as big as you would like, again that rudder is useful for stall turns. Plus it will go vertical for some time. Its Achilles heel is duration, but oh so much fun.

I think I have become addicted to power, give me power, I want more.

A bit of shower dodging in my bit of the Northern Powerhouse, but a very enjoyable day just the same, managed to use up 4 of my 6 LiPos before my nosewheel overtook me during landing..... somewhat foreshortened post touchdown roll out but didnt nose over and no damage... as sod law kicked into action as between us we had every concievable spare except a wheel collet or fuel tube.... hey ho

Up here in the damp Northern Powerhouse, it was, well, it was damp!

As my flying will be constrained in the near future, I just went for it, flying in very light drizzle, for 7 minutes, then scuttled of home. Priding myself for at least having a go.

I have had some trauma over the last few days, I could not find my Tx charger. The Futaba 8fg having some silly plug, you need the correct charger. I actually almost emptied my modelling room. Stomped about the house, came close to crying, then could feel myself becoming angry as my frustration mounted. So I sat down had a drink and thought, but you always put everything back in the same disorganised place, why is it not where its place is?

I did not think anything about my wives texting on her phone, as she is always texting, or receiving texts.

About 2 hours later, she said I have found your charger. Where is it I ask, at daughters No.2 I am told. After a few minutes of discourse, I find that my camera has also been taken, and the charger is no use, as it does not fit the camera. I was left thinking, how is this my fault? I did not know either had been taken. Then the penny drops, Ah, yes, it must be dads fault, it always is!

But I did manage to charge the Tx for some time before going flying, that is after going and collecting my charger.

There were 6 of us idiots at Hough End today, got a couple of flights in before the drizzle came in, we hung around a bit hoping it would pass, then decided it wasnt going anywhere soon so... well we just got a bit damp and carried on, used up 7 Lipos in almost flat calm (about 3mph) - iron grey sky actually makes orientation easier I found!

And some A380's and 747's coming over the field outbound from Manchester Airport in quite a steep bank at quite low altitude - hard to tell but maybe 1000 to 1200ft

Dave you are probably 5 to 7 miles from us. As we just about 1-2 miles from Dunham Park. Strangely, the 1-2 hours I was at our field, I do not think I heard a single plane, where as it is normally one every few minutes, although quite high by the time they pass us.

Although I did take advantage of the very low to non existent wind, to do inverted, semi low passes and a few other manoeuvres. There was one aspect of flying my delta I wanted to check out.

That feature is the stall, there have been suggestions that you can bring a delta up to 45 degrees and it will just about stagger along, or slowly enter a sinking phase. Well virtually or actually still air was the day to find out. I am now confident that my delta cannot reach this angle and still be flying. I found that at an angle of about 10-15 degrees was the maximum angle of attack. The model when held in this position did not simply sink to the ground. In my case the model always broke to the left, in a stall.

I now realise my normal landing is actually a stall, as I bring the model in at a fastish pace, level out to skim the ground, then start pulling up, and the model flops onto the ground stalled.

So although it at first sight appeared that I was just stooging about, I was actually pushing the boundaries of science further down the road, in a burst of white hot technological investigation, so typical of the vigour, the enterprise of the Great Northern Powerhouse, the very heart beat of this our nation. Oh Errr, what happened thenfrown

Flown again today, do not know when i will get the opportunity again,

A bit windy up here in the Great Northern Powerhouse, where the skys are constantly bright form the blast furnaces of industry. Where the streets reverberate to the constant beat of clogs. Eck, that dam ferrite will not stay still in my wives trousers. Any way must go now, I have got to take the whippets downt pub !

Posted by Erfolg on 24/07/2015 22:49:28:

Dave you are probably 5 to 7 miles from us. As we just about 1-2 miles from Dunham Park. Strangely, the 1-2 hours I was at our field, I do not think I heard a single plane, where as it is normally one every few minutes, although quite high by the time they pass us.

Sorry Erf didnt see that bit till now, they wer taking off pretty well due North (looked to be pretty parallel with Princess Parkway) and then banking sharply to the west setting a course that probably would have taken them over Chorlton & Stretford - passing over us pretty low

Had a couple of hours at the field yesterday. Wind was steady but diagonal to the strip, still enough for the Jocasta and Yorkshireman (biplane) to take off easily.

A couple of good flights with the Jocasta,8 min then 11 min (landing practice). Then a couple of flights with the biplane. On the third 'flight' with the biplane the wind changed ans became very turbulent with spots of rain causing a hurried and heavy landing.Broken prop and u/c pulled off ( only held on with cable ties, easily fixed) so called it a day. Went home happy.

Posted by Mowerman on 26/07/2015 11:05:06:

Had a couple of hours at the field yesterday. Wind was steady but diagonal to the strip, still enough for the Jocasta and Yorkshireman (biplane) to take off easily.

Giss a picky of yer yorkie biplane. Thas got to show us.

reports coming in from my boy Ronnie(weasel) who is attending a flying do at a club site in Manchester area of a few model's that have met their maker so to speak...there are a few forumite's in attendance...we'll wait to see what get's posted from them.... kulou .

ken Anderson...ne...1 ....... news dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/07/2015 15:07:26

Posted by ken anderson. on 26/07/2015 15:06:41:

reports coming in from my boy Ronnie(weasel) who is attending a flying do at a club site in Manchester area of a few model's that have met their maker so to speak...there are a few forumite's in attendance...we'll wait to see what get's posted from them.... kulou .

ken Anderson...ne...1 ....... news dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/07/2015 15:07:26

As I am sitting the in Manchester area we cancelled our normal Sunday afternoon aviating due to the utterly abysmal weather - as usual its either dry and blowing a gale or dead calm but tipping it down, Today its the Manchesters special rain, a constant heavy drizzle that comes at you from all directions to ensure that everything gets totally soaked through - so I am not surprised if anyone flying today has suffered a plane going to the great hanger in the sky!

Hi ,

Here in Manchester it is raining sad. No surprise .

So i am glad i maiden my foam Sipa S-200 yesterday. it was cloudy and very windy and despite it being very light just a tad over 1 pound it coped with the wind very well .

Normally i would ask a helper to hand launch my models for me especially if it is a maiden flight. As i like too have both my hands on the controls in readiness .

But there was no one else there , but with its light weight and heavy winds i felt confident to hand launch it by myself .

And needless to say there was no problem with it at all , it just went straight up .

depron sipa.jpg

Steve smiley