Broken RCV 58 CD

Paul Marsh

If Weston cant help with piston ring try "Gaviscool" on ebay . He supplies piston rings for most if not ALL model engines . Prices are good and rings are excellent quality. RCV 58 size is about £12 inc post to UK but post France may be different . Cant see RCV listed on his site but worth a call.

I use his rings as its easier  ,quicker and cheaper than making my own .

I have no connection with the seller just a very happy customer.

Thanks, I have had a few rings from him including 4 for my 4 Saito .45 Specials, they are better than the original ones as are his OS ones, he replied that he needed the piston and cylinder to make one up, the problem is the post and it's rates,,

Surprise, The original head has a cardboard gasket not very good to dissipate the heat, so I refaced and drilled Irvine 53 head and fitted it without a gasket and flicked it over without the plug hole open, big mistake it was like a flooded 2 stroke a geyser of fuel spouted out, so I put a plug in it and ran it, a pleasant surprise, 9.350rpm and an idle at 4.000rpm,

but on the safe side 4.250rpm.

I will ring Weston hoping that they might send me a new ring.

20221008_092336.jpg

20221008_133525.jpg

Sitting around 'thinking' and a bit of measuring has made me come to the conclusion that the gain in power and idle stability has come from

less compression loss, not the ring but blow back between the turning cylinder and the aluminium cylinder block, I took the head off and placed

my palm over the head and sure enough a lot of blow back, there is 3.5mm spacing from the original head and gasket and only 1mm with my Irvine

one so I will fill in the concave crown on the Irvine head and fill in the plug thread at the same time then turn it down to reduce the 1mm spacing and see what that does.

A bit crowded but you can see it all in the one picture,,,

RCV head all in.jpg

French postal rip off mail they are asking for a 2€ custom clearance fee for my 10€ RCV piston ring, if I

pay by internet on my credit card if not it's 8€ at the door !

Ceci est un e-mail automatique, merci de ne pas y répondre.

Bonjour,

Votre envoi N°Uxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx est arrivé sur le territoire et nécessite le paiement de droits et taxes de douane.

Payez en ligne via le lien ci-dessous, ou en vous connectant à notre site www.laposte.fr, et bénéficiez du tarif réduit des frais de gestion à 2€ TTC.

Vous pouvez payer en ligne sur notre site jusqu’au départ en tournée de votre facteur.

Si à son premier passage votre facteur n’a pu vous remettre votre envoi, vous pourrez avoir à nouveau accès au paiement en ligne avant minuit ce jour-là. Pour en savoir plus, reportez-vous à l’avis de passage déposé dans votre boîte aux lettres par le facteur.

Je souhaite payer en ligne  

Le règlement peut aussi s'effectuer auprès de votre facteur par chèque ou espèces avec l'appoint, ou en Bureau de Poste par carte bancaire.

Dans ce cas, le tarif plein s’applique et diffère en fonction du taux de TVA applicable dans votre département.

• France Métropolitaine : 8€ TTC
  • Guadeloupe, Martinique, Réunion : 7,5€ TTC
  • Guyane, Mayotte : 7€ TTC

Actually, 2 euros is right cheap. Try the Post office and their handling fee I think.
I keep on grinding on. The UK has left a customs union. For better or worse there is a customs check, and it costs. Do you want me to pay it for you. 
The ring, however, is good value. I remember watching my father making them, skill and work. 

translation, there is a fee, pay online, you get a QR code, show code to postie, cost 2 euro. Ignore this, pay postie 8 euro on the door.

Mine, will bring the change round next day. But he’s a nice bloke. Dog likes him, a telling thing. 

10 hours ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

2 Euros for a 10 Euro merchandise isn't much when I compare to what I have to pay here to the GoI towards import duties and Goods and service tax when I import my models and parts. And shipping from UK/Europe/US to a India is not for faint hearted😀

Ok but how did they get my mail and what is it going to cost to do all of the paperwork ?, still if it helps france with it's gigantic debt that's ok.🤣

yes a tenna ( £10 )  is cheap for a ring,,,

Got my piston ring this afternoon, so what did I get,,,,

The engine didn't like my antique Top Flight 12 x 6 so back on with the 11 x 6 😉, three different carburettors were used, on the left the Irvine .53 which is an 8mm carb, peaked at 9.300 rpm, the right hand one which came with the engine which is a 7.5mm carb 9.000rpm and the one installed which is some sort of rubbish carb like MDS is also a 8mm inlet and gave me 9.800 rpm, also if I left the plug ( new OS 'F' ) connected the engine knocked, not liking it at all and of no benefit to the idle which was more or less as before, at 4.000 rpm it died out so 4.500 was nice and stable, the compression was better the old ring is in the front of the picture.

So what next a plane ?, I do have a Robbe Do-it with an OS in it also it will give me something to do and get used to the engine.

RCV .58 carbs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...