Slope soaring near Bude, Cornwall

Bucksboy

I'm off on my holidays in September to visit Bude for a week. I've got an old EPP Zagi clone and would love to visit a slope or two. I'm also conscious of not upsetting anyone by just turning up and flying anywhere. I've looked at the Slopehunter guide and Dizzard Point is mentioned. Can anyone supply anymore details so that we don't upset anyone? Or suggest other sites that I could visit?

I doubt that I'll be able to fly more than 2-3 times but would love to have some advice about where I could fly. Thanks"

I have had a couple of good days of soaring in Tintagel - easy landings on a nice flat top, and the shape of the coastline allows a bit of flexibility if the wind changes. Not an "official" site, but I was never questioned.

Edited By MattyB on 28/08/2015 22:29:21

Was waiting to see if any locals posted. There are a number of slope sites in the area. Have a look at ;

**LINK**

I am relatively local but not flown any of the sites around Bude. Tintagel does require a W just to the West of the old Church. My favourites are in North Devon. If you fancy a great day out with some slope fun then Countisbury Common just East of Lynton is one of the best in England with beautiful scenery and a lovely little town.

http://www.okehamptonmfc.org.uk/?p=1002

http://www.okehamptonmfc.org.uk/?p=1019

Rob

Edited By TigerOC on 29/08/2015 10:11:46

• 9 months later...

I have to agree with TigerOC and his recommended location West of the old church at Tintagel and close to the Youth Hostel.

I am new to slope soaring and was on holiday near Tintagel in June 2016.

Passers by stopped next to the path and were amazed that it was only wind power and the updrafts that made the plane fly just like the gulls which were sharing the airspace. My motor was back up, but I only needed it when trying to land in the powerful rotor.

Launching and flying off the cliffs was straight forward enough, and there is plenty space behind to land in.

The bonus is that you can drive right to the launching area on the coastal path, so you don't have a long walk.

I had my trusty HK Phoenix and it flew like it was on rails in 15 mph Westerlies.

The slope bug has bitten.

Go With the Flow

Bruce