New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF

Tony  Nijhuis

• 2 weeks later...

img_20180403_162231.jpgimg_20180404_151916.jpgimg_20180404_151956.jpgWorking on the top battery hatch , I discovered the fit was terrible and so I finally decided to just scrap it and make a new one. While that is in workup, I was able (thanks to Craig for his help) to get the dreaded F-16 top aft former fitted. Work continues slowly. Sorry for the double picimg_20180404_151956.jpg

Edited By Greg Minden on 05/04/2018 00:31:38

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I could be wrong and I am sure more knowledgeable members will chip in, but I thought giros worked best located at the C of G as that's the position the aircraft rotates around...Just a thought to save you time later on if it needs to be relocated.

Hope this helps and last but not no way least great look builds there.

PS Darn...just read my post (else where) and I stand corrected frown, anywhere will do

Edited By Chris Walby on 10/05/2018 06:35:09

Really been enjoying your build Greg. I have just finished a slap together semi scale powered sloper as a bit of a practice for building a bigger Vulcan when I can fit it in the build queue.

You have probably seen this presentation, but it has some really nice pics included: **LINK**

Thanks for your observation Chris. For most gyros it would be correct to place it on or near the CG but i chose this one because it will work away from the CG. Critical that it be located on the centerline though. Just plan on using the rudder function - and nws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

le2.jpgLeading edges and wingtips added. I decided to do a wingspan measurement and had a big surprise. This "78 inch" wingspan aircraft actually measures 83 inches. Wow - free inches! It was built right on the plans too. Nobody tell TN or he will want to charge more for it Ha Ha.le1.jpg

Very nice work Greg - really starting to look Vulcanish now.

I have been enjoying a very detailed account of the development of the Vulcan in this book by Tony Blackman. So much (like powered control surfaces etc) was new to them at the time and seeing how they overcame problems is very engaging. For example, the cranked wing l/e was introduced to combat buffeting at high mach numbers which threatened to scupper the whole programme.

book.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...