Mascot & Yamamoto trainer builds

Paul Marsh

A while back I bought two trainers, another original Mascot I've still got in flying condition, but is looking tired.

So over winter will be putting these two together. Using OS 40 FP engine on the Mascot and a OS 35 FP engine on the Yamamoto - the same engines that were on my models. The original OS 40FP which is in the old Mascot is still going, after 25 years plus...

mascot&yamamoto.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 15/11/2015 10:57:11

Posted by Percy Verance on 15/11/2015 11:14:22:

KingKade

Chart and DB models are one and the same. I'm not quite sure of the timeline, but at some point over the past 30 years all the rights to DB models were owned by Chart, which itself was a part of Micro Mold. Or was it the other way round?

Still, the whole DB range is now in very capable hands, so spares shouldn't be a problem. The Mascot is a very good trainer by the way. Not so sure about the MFI sorry MFA Yamamoto, as I've no direct experience of it.

Excellant, didnt know that!

I think i owned both, i still have the fus carcass and wing of one in the shed. Will have to investigate to see which it is...

Thanks PV!!

I think I bought them off ebay, remember I paid £55 for the Yamamoto with a SC 40 engine still brand new in box.

The Yamamoto is the more comprehensive kit, I remember when I bought it, as had no rc spares, even an engine and radio I didn't buy yet (bought both off a friend in installments), so having the bit helped:

Fuselage sides of the Yammy being built (I know - made sure there is a Left and Right...!)

dscf9819.jpg

Fin Assy'

dscf9820.jpg

Included rubber bands - 20 plus years old. Don't think I will be using them - will give them to Chris, later...devil

dscf9821.jpg

You even got glue, although gone off a little...

dscf9822.jpg

And full hardware pack.

dscf9823.jpg

Want to really use the items, but did you know that the tank header bolts onto the firewall, so it can't rotate. Will show later,..

Wings tried and now just been glued. Used Aliphatic, as it's a large area to glue. Might use a 2 inch tape later and epoxy it, although the spars are probably strong enough, but would add extra strength. Wings are practically done, including the tips. Sort of a ARTF kit build , which it was...

dscf9825.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 15/11/2015 12:21:18

Percy I think Boddo himself explained it

" I therefore passed over the manufacturing of the DB Models range of kits to Micro Mold; as a point of interest, we had sold 8,000 ‘Tyro Major’ by this stage. Inevitably the television work began to wane after a few years and with Micro Mold’s blessing we started manufacturing kits again, under the title of ‘DB Sport and Scale’, with Micro Mold continuing to manufacture and sell the original DB models range."

Some designs are available as Plan Packs only from DB Sport & Scale and not available as kits.  These are the old designs that Micro Mold sold as kits.  I guess that might have been the arrangement.  The Plan Packs never seem to become kits, although some of these designs appear as MyHobbyStores or RCModeler (USA)  plans as well.  Mannock, Ghost Rider, Barnstormer are examples and size varies too Barnstormer 52 is MyHobbyStores.

Edited By kc on 15/11/2015 12:57:03

Hi Paul, the Yammy, my first model ever 26 years ago, brings back memories LoL. A good solid trainer, which most learners in my club used all them years ago, and a really good flier. Thanks ps there would be no need for a bandage as well, as the the spars, they will do the job for you. Cheers

Percy see my amended message with my idea of the reasons.

The great thing about Boddo and also his colleagues at the time was they all attended shows etc and kept in touch with ordinary aeromodellers as well as dining with the elite.. ( just envious! )

Just a suggestion Re the nose leg . They always cause greif unless flying off of tarmac so why not convert to a tail dragger as its an ideal time to make the conversion. Fit undercarriage so that the wheel centres are about one inch on front of the leading edge and you'll be fine.

P's The Yamamoto balsa model was a brilliant trainer with no vices .Enjoy

Edited By Engine Doctor on 15/11/2015 14:30:47