ATTENTION BEGINNERS(General Chat)

Alex Hasell

just thought i would share my exitment

despite building my Ripmax Nova 40 just after they came out (a few years ago now) ive flown it for the first time tonight! only the second time ive been flying in about 5 years and was only on basic circuits back then my new instructors had me doing loops and rolls and into the wind on tick over so the plane about stops...........untill it does! so ive also successfully recovered from a stall oh and a few low passes

hopefully on to take off's tomorrow if weather permits

unfortunatly a little to windy for take off's also a little to windy to 'hover' with a new ish engine as it cut, quite funny i nosed down and whacked the throttle up (there was a nother plane flying low so couldnt hear mine anyway) went to turn downwind thought hang on somethings odd here 'dead stick!!'......quickly handing the tranny over

Help! i've started building my Tutor 40, and i've had a couple of problems. After i had glued the wings together i found that they had moved while drying and they are not completely level, is this going to be a problem, also i've found that the metal bars that link to the servos are not in the same place when the ailerons are both level. Do I need to bend them so they match or just make one of the linking arms longer than the other?

Dave

If you can separate the wing panels and try again. One can do wonders if you are thoughtful careful and patient. I was starting to get an awwful twist in the fus of my Moth which would have had a dreadful effect on lining up the tail feathers with the wing. However, in your case, Dave, if it isn't much you could try a small soft aluminium trim tab on the trailing edge of one wing. Quite tiny really, especially near the tip. Got a flight in this past Wednesday, but found the silencer hanging off. All fixed but no teacher when we went down Friday. Thanks for the Moth picture. I can use that scheme, if I dont get anything else.

Cheers everyone. Alan.

Allan 

glad is was a help i actually saw a moth in this colour the other day and must say it looks nicer in the flesh than that photo so i think it would bre apleasing result.

By the way how are getting on witth your build?

i have started my first scratch build miss demeaner one of peter millers free plans in the mag really enjooying it too.

All the best Alex.

Allan

Sounds great your doing well. I have started my first scratch build now to i will post pics when i have time i am going to give her a "custom" finish colour scheme hey wo wants to be same as every one else.

Funny u mention the cap i have some plans of one to but they are not very good to be fair that is going to be the next project i was wondering of course if you would taKe the time to do this? If your plans are in good condition would you be able to photo copy them and send them to me if i sent you a S.A.E or if you can scan and e mail i would really really appriciate it?

The flying well not good im affraid dead stick 4 time while i got down ok from this mainly cause the boomer is a real floater i thought it was a blockage in pipe (fuel) went up again and lost control bit like a brown out by time i got it back i was inverted eading to tera ferma plus my panic ended in a bin bag full of plane a very generous farther has replaced the plane for me and after retriving all the bits and many hours of head scratching it was decided it was a dodgy switch so no wonder i lost controll only thing is my reciver got totalled as well!! so i cant do anything without a new one and at £40 its not going to be for a while yet as i have to many oter things/people to pay first so im not a happy bunny but at least i can get cracking with the build so as they say every cloud..........

Pitty im not an optamist though hey ! ha ha

All the best and appy landings Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear about your mishap, hope it is not too long before you are airborne again  .

I also dumped my Ki61, think the instructions indicate the wrong position for the  CoG ,just need to rebuild the nose and a new prop .

Cheers

Kelvin

Hi Alex and guys

Several things. Ihave another receiver works fine with my  6EXP tranny . It's a Cirrus and was only  £20 from my very reputable model shop.

Next. I'm awfully sorry Alex but I've virtually worn out my CAP plans the useful bits are all sellotaped together. May I suggest your best bet is to get the back issue of RCME for August  2007 as it is the free plan. I think they cost a fiver. Of course it is now available in their plans service but that will cost at least twice as much plus postage.

Finally, Monday was a disappointment as Bill did not come to the field again.Our Club has rather strict rules about anyone attempting to fly on their own because it is Council land. so it was another waste of a day. On the other hand, while I expect I shall commit a blunder sooner or later the Star still looks pretty pristine so I will contain my patience. I cannot criticise Bill because it's very good of him to teach us so well and to show what he is like I believe that he is a "carer" and may have had to take his charge to hospital, causing his no show. I'm also still waiting for my replacement silencer bolts.Now today the weather appears to have changed again for the worst so it is carry on building.

Cheers. Alan. 

Hi everyone

I have recently started model flying and have found a shop that has good friendly advice also they have a good range of stock its called wings wheels and rotors in bingley they are on the internet definitely worth having a look

also i think if you give them a call they may be able help you discharge your batteries

Hi Guys

It's been a day or two. In fact I noticed a lack of connections and decided that perhaps you were, like me, suffering from lack of opportunity blues, mainly do to very unsatisfactory weather conditions. I think that flyers who have mastered the rudiments, with a suitable model, can fly in far worse conditions. But we raw beginners require a modicum of calm weather to get used to lefts and rights and ups and downs. The year seems to be running away from me now, but I keep telling myself that we'll have a fabulous Autumn. Now I'm retired, and only reckon to go down to the field during the day. Actually I'm 76 years young but I dont go out much in the evenings. Another thing you may have gathered is that our field, while very convenient and accessible is Council land and is strongly governed by Health and Safety legislation. Do I understand that some of you, Alex?, are trying the self taught approach?

So quite a lot of building. I have done more on the Moth's fuselage and have now got some very substantial gen on the full size. Thereby hangs a tale to be told on another occasion.  I'm working hard on the CAP21 fitting the engine etc before covering. However, there are problems! The canted engine requires an extension stub to the silencer is one. If  you dont want this, mount straight up or inverted. Next, bolting the engine to the bearers ( temporarily at the moment ), I've used 3mm bolts and nuts but when it is all cowled in, how do I get at the nuts?  Do people use self tappers on these moulded engine mounts? Answers please on the hypothetical postcard.

Finally, I have made a tentative start on yet another model. I figure at this rate  the best flying season will be in the winter months so have checked out my parka, long johns and welly boots. The new model is based on a very old Duncan Hutson follow up low wing trainer. The fus is a pure box but I've sketched a few aesthetic mods to it.

Cheers. Alan.