PSSA Chat

Phil Cooke

Totally off PSS - but I still find it amazing that modern day aircraft can be destroyed with inappropriate rudder use at the wrong part of the flight envelope - I recall once reading a crash report on an airliner (Airbus I think) where disorientation and alternating rudder input at high speed effectively caused the aircraft to break up in flight. Frightening. Wouldn't you think there would be systems in place on modern aircraft to inhibit these inputs - like on my VW Passat - you cant put the electronic handbrake on above 5mph rolling speed - Rez and I did trials in the works car park to prove that.

Posted by Phil Cooke on 25/01/2016 23:15:44:

Totally off PSS - but I still find it amazing that modern day aircraft can be destroyed with inappropriate rudder use at the wrong part of the flight envelope - I recall once reading a crash report on an airliner (Airbus I think) where disorientation and alternating rudder input at high speed effectively caused the aircraft to break up in flight. Frightening. Wouldn't you think there would be systems in place on modern aircraft to inhibit these inputs - like on my VW Passat - you cant put the electronic handbrake on above 5mph rolling speed - Rez and I did trials in the works car park to prove that.

Hmm, Wasnt this the co pilot that over pumped the rudder from stop to stop causing the bolts to overstress, snap and the tail fall off! resulting in plane diving to earth!

Remember that one on Air Crash Investigation.

I saw that on ACI too. The flying school or training he had basically told them to be hard on the rudder to stop the oscillation - whereas they would have been better off not touching it.

At model size this is rarely an issue though, as most of our airframes are artificially stiff compared to the fullsize counterparts.

Posted by Andy Meade on 25/01/2016 11:27:21:

If that AC130 doesn't have an airsoft gun side-mounted for strafing missions, I will be very disappointed!

Not airsoft, but have just 'sourced' a credible alternative. It should work, and be stand off scale.

Mr Flyer (is it Ed? I can't remember, sorry) have you seen this build by Damon on RCG? 160" Herky bird - lovely. Amazing craftsmanship as always from him, really neat touches in the build too. Looks like a good scale for yours!

In other news, I found that Gorilla glue (the foaming one) is the BEST way to bond skins to foam wings. I have recently struggled with getting the wood too wet with PVA, and cure times with epoxies. I read it in Damon's thread listed above, and thought I'd give it a go - thin layer of glue scraped onto the skin with a credit card (it was full anyway, hehe) then a quick spritz of water on the foam. 3 hours later, bonded skin! Very happy and it means my Sea Hawk is at last moving again yes

Edited By Andy Meade on 01/02/2016 08:58:10

Posted by Andy Meade on 01/02/2016 08:56:13:

Mr Flyer (is it Ed? I can't remember, sorry) have you seen this build by Damon on RCG? 160" Herky bird - lovely. Amazing craftsmanship as always from him, really neat touches in the build too. Looks like a good scale for yours!

In other news, I found that Gorilla glue (the foaming one) is the BEST way to bond skins to foam wings. I have recently struggled with getting the wood too wet with PVA, and cure times with epoxies. I read it in Damon's thread listed above, and thought I'd give it a go - thin layer of glue scraped onto the skin with a credit card (it was full anyway, hehe) then a quick spritz of water on the foam. 3 hours later, bonded skin! Very happy and it means my Sea Hawk is at last moving again yes

Edited By Andy Meade on 01/02/2016 08:58:10

That's very impressive Andy. Not sure if I can get to that quality, but I must aspire to greatness.

Well there's nothing like being organised, and organising early. Quite often I manage to save myself a good deal of money by booking early. Like my return flight to Toronto for August which I paid £312 by booking in November, and to book that same flight today it would cost me £460.

So with all this in mind, I have booked my hotel in Llandudno for the April PSS meet teeth 2

• 2 months later...
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 01/05/2016 17:00:07:

Hi all.

Andy Meade managed to maiden his SU-27 Flanker at the Bwlch yesterday. This didn't go particularly well due to the slope conditions, but the model lives to fly another day.

The video and full story are available to read and view at A470Soaring.

Good stuff lads, and well done Andy - ya held your nerve there mate thumbs up