C17 Globemaster III - 1/15th Scale for PSS

Andy Meade

Posted by Andy Meade on 12/01/2016 08:53:17:

Thanks Harry - I hope it all goes together as nicely as it does in the CAD!

That's going to be some "interesting" decal work for you there Dave...

Phil - thanks smiley The B24 has been moved to storage in order for me to get this done. Loads of room on the bench for it..

20160112_063400.jpg

laugh

Now I feel so much better seeing this. I have hope. surprise So it is true, I have a workshop to challenge the best (shame my building skill's arn't there yet tho... crying 2 

I have a piece of plaster board on my dining table to work on, so Michelle isn't allowed over to my place for dinner when I'm building wink. I have one foamy build on the go now, a complex (for me) balsa repair next on a F5J thermal soarer, then the A4 project. It could be mid summer before I have to cook for her again! Lol.

Looking forward with great interest to see these two birds come together thumbs up

Cheers Steve

I have had some concerns over the operation and construction of the flap canoes. I sketched up a few ideas, and this is what I've ended up with. The flaps operate in much the same way as the full-size, with a hinge at the bottom of the canoes - for me this will be an arrangement of 3mm glassfibre board bonded to a central core of 3mm liteply. The hinge itself will hopefully be a 4mm ball-link with a 4mm carbon pin, and a clevis on the mating part will be glassfibre board.

canoe on wing flap test.jpg

Shown here in the model are canoes 1 and 4 (4 being most outboard), and the flap is deployed. Canoe 3 will be identical to these, but canoe 2 will be where the "magic" happens. There will be two core plates on number 2, with a 6mm gap in between them. This will allow a linkage from a servo to pass through and link up with the rear part of the canoe, close to the pivot, which will give me the required large throw.

All canoe cores will be sandwiched in blue or pink XPS foam, then glassed. Flap servo access will be in the top surface, just in front of the spoilers.

I have also done some work on the fold-out parts of the landing lights, just for Dave!

landing light deployed.jpg

This will no doubt be a 3D printed part onto / behind which the LED will be mounted, and actuated "out" with a mini servo.

Here's the full size item :

c-17a_96-0006_18796.jpg

Oh, and most of my full size pics come from a great walkaround here.

Edited By Andy Meade on 15/01/2016 15:42:57

Fantastic work Andy.

I think you need to come and teach me how to do CAD!

Flap and canoe design sounds spot on, as does the fold out landing light. Please tell me your going to have these as fold outs on yours also!! You know it makes sense!!

Not heard anything from 99 yet !

Going to have to build a bigger bow next for he hot wire work!!

Dave

Dave - I think I will go for it. Lights will be two either side of the nose, two in the undercarriage sponsons, and two on the wingtips.

There's also some loading lights in the underside of the tailplane if you wanted - but shouldn't really be on in flight so might be a waste.

I'm now contemplating nose weight and battery access. A servo halfway down the fus for the landing lights doesn't help matters, so she may have a large hatch around the crew access door for access. Well, I will - up to you how you skin that cat!

Edited By Andy Meade on 15/01/2016 16:29:22

Thanks Pete!

Well, here are some images of the 2nd flap canoe, which as you can (hopefully) see, has space in the middle for the flap actuation rod.

flap & spoiler test.jpg

I have also added a basic shape for the top surface spoiler. I think I should be able to reverse this one into a parking spot with that much brake.

flap & spoiler test 2.jpg

That looks like...a lot from the front!

And all stowed :

flap & spoiler test 3.jpg

I shall model up canoe #3, then that'll be it for CAD modelling, and on with proper modelling this weekend. I have some Sea Hawk wings to cut, then its on with the fin for the C17.

• 4 weeks later...

It's just waterproof 4mm ply from the builder's merchants. Nothing special as it's meant to be a cheap aircraft! If that was liteply I'd be bankrupt by now surprise

Here is a basic dry build to test former locations are OK for the nose section, alongside the A10 nose :

20160215_201045.jpg

20160215_201056.jpg

The formers will of course be hollowed out, apart from F1 which will be solid so I can bolt lead plates to it.

Edited By Andy Meade on 15/02/2016 21:17:58

Hi Ade and thanks!

The load of the weight and flight forces from the tail section are transferred into the ply structure via 15mm aluminium wing joiner tubes.

I did this a similar way on the A10, but there I only used 2. The C17 uses 3 (much more tail area). So the loads are carried by the tubes and the whole thing will be pulled together with wire fence tensioners - again a carry over from what I used on the A10. If you need some pics of how I did that, take a look on the build blog on this site

Posted by Andy Meade on 15/02/2016 21:39:06:
Hi Ade and thanks!

The load of the weight and flight forces from the tail section are transferred into the ply structure via 15mm aluminium wing joiner tubes.

I did this a similar way on the A10, but there I only used 2. The C17 uses 3 (much more tail area). So the loads are carried by the tubes and the whole thing will be pulled together with wire fence tensioners - again a carry over from what I used on the A10. If you need some pics of how I did that, take a look on the build blog on this site

Thanks Andy; just found the pic of the tensioners; know now what you mean. Many thanks

Ade

Posted by Andy Meade on 15/02/2016 21:17:08:

It's just waterproof 4mm ply from the builder's merchants. Nothing special as it's meant to be a cheap aircraft! If that was liteply I'd be bankrupt by now surprise

Cool, I used 3mm from Wickes (rubbish stuff) on the Imp. Which shop was it from? Want to build up a repository of budget large model building supplies