C17 Globemaster III - 1/15th Scale for PSS

Andy Meade

All formers are 4mm gash ply from the builder's merchants. 8 foot x 4 foot sheets are about £12 each, so are ideal for the bulk of this.

The only problem is that it does splinter and de-laminate quite quickly, so I am constantly running around gluing it back together! The tail parts are all 3mm lite-ply, which is so nice to work with compared to the other stuff. I was just going to say "stuff it" and use the 4mm in the tail, but then I remembered the weight problems I had with the A10's tail.

I have made more progress overnight and this morning, I will post some more updates later..

So, tailplanes are now sanded to "first pass sand" level, and one elevator is done - the other needs a quick kiss from the hand plane then a sand from the Perma Grit. Spar grooves have been let-in too; wing tips added (1/2" soft balsa-1/8" liteply core - 1/2" soft balsa); and the hardware for mounting is cut and ready. By the end of the day, this will all be glued up - currently this is a dry fit.

20160311_125211.jpg

It looks ready to fly as-is!

Here is a long & skinny elevator stuffed into position for a photo opportunity;

20160311_125253.jpg

I'm loving that. To do this weekend :

• plank the top of the fin box
  • add the blue foam LE - cut and create the light pod
  • final fill and light sanding
  • prep hinge mounting holes

That should be ready to cover (silver film) and stick in the loft so it's out the way by midweek.

Thanks Fred! Yes someone else pointed out that she was doing something...umm...unsavoury. The wife took the burst of photos, and in the rest you can see she was just turning around quickly after chasing a carrot. She likes to dig them up herself and play with them! (the dog does, not the bride).

Heres a pic a couple of frames on.  Thistle with carrot!

20160313_140041.jpg

Edited By Andy Meade on 17/03/2016 11:37:53

OK This time I have :

• mowed the lawn
  • got the dogs out the shot
  • gingerly held the wings on

As yet I haven't made the spar boxes, which will be the next big thing to do. I haven't got a lot of time to much over the next 2 weeks, so progress may be a bit slower until April.

20160320_155526.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Linds! She's getting there slowly, but as the saying goes - it takes many crumbs to make a cookie yes

I removed veneer from the top of the wing and made a little bent wire tool for the ancient soldering gun :

20160426_221435.jpg

Whizz it along and hey-presto, slot made :

20160426_222612.jpg

Some carbon tubes came to make the outers around the inners I'd bought a while back. These will be taking the loads in flight for the join between the front and back of the fuselage :

20160427_221435.jpg

Joiners are 22mm OD, bearing tubes 25mm OD.

Next I made 3 spar boxes in liteply around the steel spar :

20160428_124350.jpg

This then gets glued into the front fus section with some additional webs for support :

20160428_215056.jpg

Then back to the wings to box-in the spoiler slot. Medium 1/8" balsa bottom, 1/4" square spruce at the front, 1/8" medium at the back. The twin-servo bay is lined with 1/8" liteply, the bottom now glued in as shown :

20160429_063530.jpg

Spoiler servo on left, flap servo on right. Keep on keeping on yes

Edited By Andy Meade on 29/04/2016 09:26:03

Edited By Andy Meade on 29/04/2016 09:27:43

• 2 months later...