C17 Globemaster III - 1/15th Scale for PSS

Andy Meade

• 3 weeks later...

c-130_lapes_drop_in_vietnam.jpg

Brother, trust me, it's a COMPLIMENT!    

Before, during, and after Vietnam --- the Trash Haulers made it all happen. C-123 Thunder Pigs, C-124 Old Shakys, C-130 Herks, the works!!!

A blog post: **LINK**

A book: **LINK**

Another book! **LINK**

And, on a personal note, my Uncle Paul Renfro was a Trash Hauler!

Amigo, your wicked awesome PSSer C-17 TRASH HAULER is steeped in a tradition of EXCELLENCE!

Edited By John_Rood on 06/08/2016 17:51:23

• 3 months later...

Here's a wee updates, as most of my building tends to go on my blog, but I liked to update here every now and then with major updates.

The tail filled in with foam, and a quick test fit :

20160717_145519.jpg

Yesterday I glued the carbon sleeves in the tail, so set her up in the garden again to level things out. It looks like everything is within half a degree or so now, so I'm happy with that for now :

20161126_142134.jpg

Does my bum look big in this?

20161126_141726.jpg

A small spaniel for scale :

20161126_141841.jpg

The fuselage now needs the blue foam nose block adding and shaping, then I can plank the rear of that section. I decided to stringer and sheet it, as I really need all this area open for servicing and ease of use.

I think I'm still on course for April, but I am trying to finish a Fouga Magister and an Ilyushin IL-102 at the same time, too.

Posted by Andy Meade on 29/11/2016 09:10:37:

Cheers both! Any progress on the AC130 yet Ade?

I've managed to get hold of a roll of paper 36inches wide to draw up the plans; although work has been in the way for the past three months. I have set aside a week between Christmas and the New Year to finalise the drawings. I am basing the design on a 1/72nd Airfix model.

SWMBO has promised me a big balsa/ply order for Xmas, so will be starting construction in the New Year.

I am looking at 1/12th Scale, as this would give it enough 'presence', and still fit in the car. Not sure on overall weight yet, but am looking at a built up wing with glass finish, as I am please with the little bit of glassing I managed on the A4. It is relatively light and pretty strong.

And I've sourced the gun too wink

Oooh nice! I wouldn't worry about the weight too much, as long as you can make the fuselage as hollow as possible, and the tail end good and light. I still regret not doing the AC130 instead of the C17 every now and then, especially when I'm working with the more complex parts (flaps, T-tail etc.)

Posted by Andy Meade on 29/11/2016 10:09:44:

Oooh nice! I wouldn't worry about the weight too much, as long as you can make the fuselage as hollow as possible, and the tail end good and light. I still regret not doing the AC130 instead of the C17 every now and then, especially when I'm working with the more complex parts (flaps, T-tail etc.)

Ah, but your's will look so much better for having all these scale things Andy wink 2

In all honesty - horrid. I'll never do it again! Planking and stringers for me, from now on.

It was easy on the tail, I suppose, but it's only rough sanded and now lumpy in all the wrong places.

Yes it is fairly big! Quite close to the A10 in wing area, oddly, but with a much longer fuselage.

• 3 months later...

Still tickling along. Fully assembled fuselage takes up the entire length of the workshop. Just finalising the front to rear section blend here :

20170221_204536.jpg

Fully planked nose section, awaiting brown paper. Yes, the UC pods are different lengths from side to side - as per scale :

20170120_173236.jpg

Nose now brown papered, before sanding :

20170122_150547.jpg

One of the rudder servos, rebated below the surface and the linkage going through the rear post :

20170221_124307.jpg

This wing almost complete - full flap, full spoiler, aileron full up. All stop! :

20170209_222650.jpg