C17 Globemaster III - 1/15th Scale for PSS

Andy Meade

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Some progress! Yes the "Moose" inches towards completion, with a target of a maiden at the April PSSA meet, which should also be the first of 4 new PSS aircraft from me. I don't know why I do it to myself, I really don't laugh

Another assembled shot in the garden, getting the tension system between fore and aft fuselage parts sorted :

img-20191110-wa0012.jpg

At the top of the landing for an engine pylon alignment session :

20200121_125349.jpg

Into primer. Spraying 2k high build primer through a reasonably big (2mm needle) gun :

20200126_175524.jpg

20200126_145215.jpg

The great thing about 2k primer is, it was hard and ready to sand just 2 hours later in a not-very-warm shed. It's now buttery smooth, and after a few touch ups will be top-coat ready :

20200126_180717.jpg

You might notice that the top surface spoilers have been deleted - the complexity in linkages and lack of rigidity in the spoiler itself negated any gains, so the areas were filled in and glassed over.

I placed an order for a custom decal set with Callie Graphics, who made a fantastic job of making these for me.

20191119_123850.jpg

Onwards!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

More than a year since the last posting, oops!  Ah well, I have built and flown my PSS Meteor since then, so I have got an excuse, ish.

Lots of small niggles in rigging being beaten up, more spray touch ups (love a bit of hanger rash..) then on to a test balance so I could get a feel for where the batteries were going to go.

Ummm..well I know the balance rig I'm using isn't ideal for this airframe layout, but it was pretty much spot on!  I'm going to install the batteries in the nose to be on the safe side, and do a final "proper" balance this weekend.  8 days until we leave for the Lleyn and (hopefully) a maiden!.

To go:

• servo covers
  • battery install
  • receiver install
  • 2x looms to finish up
  • lighting to wire up
  • panel lines and decals to be fiddled with.

IMG_20210627_155352.jpg

IMG_20210627_155356.jpg

IMG_20210627_160721.jpg

Edited by Andy Meade
  • Like 7

An amazing build!  I love the ethos behind your construction, cheap ply, white foam, brown paper covering, some great ideas which I have stored away for future reference.

Question, What are you using to veneer the wings??  Doesn't look like obechi - which has become rarer than Unicorn droppings.  

Please keep posting

regards

• Like 1

Hope to see this at Llyn hell's mouth site then, and the meteor ?

Meteors where target drones for aberporth flown from Llanbedr...

The radio mast site at Rhiw was part of the control system infrastructure.

Radio control meteors, fireflies and jyndavics.

Saw a jyndavic in compound in Farnborough.

A jyndavic rashed on approach to land in dyffryn, was still smoking when I got there, a big black box servo...battery hit a car but no fatalities thankfully...

Hope weather is kind for Llyn pssa event.

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, stu knowles said:

An amazing build!  I love the ethos behind your construction, cheap ply, white foam, brown paper covering, some great ideas which I have stored away for future reference.

Question, What are you using to veneer the wings??  Doesn't look like obechi - which has become rarer than Unicorn droppings.  

Please keep posting

regards

Hi Stu, thanks for the comments.  I believe the wood was bass veneer?  It wasn't very nice though and I wouldn't use it again I'm afraid!  Not sure what to skin a wing with next time, it might just be glass straight onto foam, or even skinned in 1/32" balsa then glassed as I have 100 odd sheets of that from an ebay auction.

4 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hope to see this at Llyn hell's mouth site then, and the meteor ?

Meteors where target drones for aberporth flown from Llanbedr...

The radio mast site at Rhiw was part of the control system infrastructure.

Radio control meteors, fireflies and jyndavics.

Saw a jyndavic in compound in Farnborough.

A jyndavic rashed on approach to land in dyffryn, was still smoking when I got there, a big black box servo...battery hit a car but no fatalities thankfully...

Hope weather is kind for Llyn pssa event.

Hi Rich - yes the Meteor is back to flyable state and the C17 should be there too.  Let's hope for some flying weather!