Plan recommendation for first Slope Soarer

Only done slope soaring once and that was a long time ago ( I had one of the Foss models) I want to build my own from a plan and I'd like a traditional glider look, aileron wing. The only local slope we have is not that spectacular so i'll need one that can deal with not a lot of lift, but will ballast if I get lucky, about 72 inch I'm thinking, any recommendations.

John

How about the Phase 5? Plan available from Chris Foss

http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/#/constructional-plans/4538948935

Or a good selection of Stan Yeo plans here - you can open pdfs of a fair few of them, which is useful when deciding whether you fancy building them or not

http://www.phoenixmp.com/acatalog/Stan_s_Models.html

Edited By IanN on 10/02/2016 20:39:36

I built the 87" span version of this in the 1980's. Moded it to a 3 piece wing with 2 FD16 servos in the centre section with my own version of mechanical mixing. The flaperons of the outer sections linked together with the inners with pins & tube. It took a fair bit of building & I had intended to build a set of 72" wings but never got around tuit. The time & effort spent proved well worth it. It had a very wide speed range & good aerobatic performance. Although it wasn't snappy in rolls I was happy with it's aerobatic performance, it was slippery when required but also very good at using the lightest of thermals.
I flew it for 5 or 6 years before selling it - something I came to regret.

Most of the build time was taken up with the servos placement, flaperon mixers & outer wing section linkages. With modern gear 2 or possibly 4 wing servos it would be easier & much quicker to build now. It would be simple to mod to a 2 piece wing for transport purposes. If I was building it today I'd go for a 2 piece 72" wing version, as much for the change as anything (I rarely build the same model again).

Another excellent choice, & much simpler build, would be the 2M Algebra, built from this plan & moded for ailerons. I've never built or owned one but have flown a couple of other peoples both with & without ailerons. Also watched Sean Bannister, during a modeller's holiday week at Primrose valley, putting the rudder/elevator only version through an aerobatic performance that made me wonder if ailerons were really necessary.

• 4 years later...

An old thread I know but ...
A Soarcerer was my first many years ago. Still a brilliant design. Plan costs £14.50 from Sarik 
https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/rm47-sorcerer/
Or you can download it for free from Outerzone!
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8762

Edited By David Ramsden on 24/12/2020 01:10:46

Another vote for an aileron Soarcerer John, built lightly it will fly on a breath yet is fully aerobatic and is great fun to fly. Most dont bother with the rudder, you can have a blast with 2 channels whilst saving a bit of weight.
Daves one-sided fus construction method didnt work well for me, mine were all built conventionally - side, formers, side, pull it in, sheet... but others have said its a good method, each to his own.
Good choice.

Phil

We had what I think is a Dynaflte Piece O'Cake. Although the original design had an 049 engine on the nose, the one we had, bought secondhand from a model shop, was a pure glider. It was very light and ideal for marginal sites. Hankley Common, where we flew, was probably no more than 30ft top to bottom on the usual slope. The 72" span wing was tapered and quite light at the tips so it could turn tightly when the stronger lift was found.

Don't bother with the undercarriage, a plain skid is fine.

The plan is on Outerzone:

Dynaflite Piece O'Cake

The Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady is an iconic first soarer in the States.  It is slightly larger at 78" span and is also  on Outerzone: 

Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 24/12/2020 13:09:26