Phoenix Flight Sim problems with Windows 10

John Lockyer

My copy of Phoenix Simulator WAS working fine and up to date on Windows 8.1, but since upgrading to Windows 10 I am having no luck at all.

I have tried to re-install the Sim a number of times now with the same results each time, when I click on the Sim icon on the desktop I get the following

"Phoenix has encountered a problem

"SimApplication::createWindow-window creation/attachment failed

press ok and then get the following

No Window created

Press ok and then get the following

SimRenderer_createDevice-no window for attachment

I tried looking on the web for some answers and found a sight that mentioned the fault was because windows 10 uses DirectX11 and not DirectX9 as required by the Sim, but this was downloaded with the Sim Disc as required on each occasion, I tried to download DirectX9 on its own but was then unable to find out where to place it as a working file, I have checked that DirectX9 is infact on the computer in the files section???

The Sim worked perfectly when using Windows 8.1 so is it a problem with

windows 10 or is it something to do with the Sim, I have tried to contact Phoenix with this problem but so far I have been unable to do so.

I hope there is someone far more knowledgeable than me that can help out with this problem please

In theory an upgrade to a working earlier version of Windows should be OK.

Windows 10 will likely, depending on how you are doing it, prevent DirectX9 loading though.

You need to download the redistributable from Microsoft and then install it from there, IF that is the problem.

Phoenix are usually fast on :- support(at)phoenix-sim.com

I'm posting this from memory as I'm a long way from home at present but I had all sorts of problems when going from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

I tried Phoenix Support but their only response was the mantra to download DX9. Telling them that didn't work shut them up - I never heard from them again....face 22

I went through all the DX9 re-installs etc but time and again it was one or more missing .dll files (can't remember which) which was the problem. Eventually, in desperation, I found the solution was to copy the crucial .dlls from the DX9 folder to the Phoenix group of folders. Works fine now.

Sorry I can't be more precise for now....

Pete

A lot of people think that DirectX 10, 11, 12 are 'updates' for DirectX 9 - they AREN'T They are completely different and if an app wants to install DirectX 9 it does so because it's needed. dotNET is the same - v1 - 4.5 are all different and need to be installed separately when needed.

Windows 10 (as a clean install) still has problems which is why I'm holding off switching to it as my main OS for some time yet (I multi-boot this computer with Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10 and Gentoo Linux)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 14/02/2016 00:12:12

Thanks guys for the above info, I have tried to just install Directx 9 but the system won't let me it says that there is a later Direct X already loaded etc, which doesn't help, I just tried to download Directx9 from the microsoft website but the same thing happened, in fact it told me that I had to be running a different OS ( an earlier version) to be able to download 9, so no luck there either. I would like to have this working properly especially during the winter when its too wet, windy or cold to be out flying. I don't have enough knowledge to be able to run this laptop in various partitions which is probably the answer ?? I like on the Isle of Wight, and am a Pensioner, so can anyone pleade help????

Regards

Installed Windows 10 some weeks ago having previously had Window 8.1 and had no problems with Phoenix.

It installed the latest version and all the updates without a hitch. Having said that I did have a problem when it was first installed on Windows 8. I'm not computer savy and I can't remember exactly what the solution was but Phoenix `talked` me through it by email.

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the useful info. I have finally got it to work perfectly and up to date at long last, for anyone else that DOES get a problem this is how I eventually fixed it. I copied it from another computer running Windows XP which is in my hangar and then downloaded it onto my Windows 10 laptop in my office, but I noticed that on the XP machine the files were in a folder called "Program Files" but on windows 10 it kept trying to put them into a file called Program files (86), obviously something entirely different????, once the programme was inserted into the correct place all is now fine,

Regards

John

• 1 year later...

Hi, I had no end of trouble getting it to work under windows 10. My version was 3.0.

Eventually I did a fresh install and installing DirectX9. This launched Phoenix into a black screen - not much use. I then tried to install the update to version 5.0 . This failed. I managed to trace the problem down to Norton Internet Security. NIS saw the installer program as a possible threat and stopped it running. To get it working I had to go into the Norton Firewall settings and turn off Browser Protection in the Intrusion and Browser Protection tab. Turning off the Firewall was not enough!

It now works beautifully.

Hope this helps someone.

George

I found that I could not load my Phoenix on my new win 10 lap top ,it worked on win 7 , so I emailed Phoenix , they , replied with in 5 mins !!!!! they knew of a problem but sent me a link to download and it worked , and downloaded the latest version , .

Super quick customer service , !!! and for those who "do " the Caption Comp , the guy looking into my boot from a month or so ago was Phoenixing !!!!

cheers

Another with no problems loading and old copy of Phoenix - I ran it on an old HDD PC on both W7 and a "free" upgrade to W10. I took the Phoenix updates as offered by them.

I later bought a new SSD PC with W10 on the boot drive and had no problems installing Phoenix from my original CD (v4, I think) and updating to v5.

I all cases the software has been loaded into "Program Files (x86)" and no fiddling has been required.

• 2 years later...