A4 mass build Australia

• 4 weeks later...

a 3 view projected to the plan gave me these approximate shapes to work with. I just adjusted the projection until the overall length was correct lined up intake shapes and fuse bottom then drew on the plan where the projected lines were. hope this makes sense, it felt a bit like cheating but gave me a good indication of the alterations required.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 26/03/2016 09:26:46

Liking that Graham, looks spot on!! Have you retained a copy of your plan for future use?

Looking at your plan - are you able to use the same nose profile, F1 and F2 from the kit or are they required to change?

I do think the 2 seater offers more to the modeller with respect to detail within that big canopy, also some of the schemes on the 2 seat scooters are awesome!

Looks great. Will you be making your own vac formed canopy?

If the nose section ahead of the canopy is effectively identical in form to the prototype then Im not 100% sure how you can remove the doublers without ending up with a very thin wall section on the shoulders as the nose is rounded towards the front. You can see in the section on the plan, and below, how the correct sanded section at F1 just nibbles INTO the doubler at the top.

f1.jpg

OK i hadn't looked at the cross section had I. I may have to put something in there after all .thanks for the heads up. I haven't the technology to vac form a canopy but I have a system for stretching the plastic over a plug ,that I hope will do the job. it seems a fairly simple shape, and I think I'll add the framing detail separately after forming. I am certainly keeping a copy of the plan as I would like to add stuff if the first one flies as good as yours looks! brakes/ flaps/ AOA sender that works etc. dreams. G

• 3 weeks later...

My Kit has arrived, so after a couple more late shifts I will be able to get out the cyano. I have been reluctant to make a start as the plans I had printed up seemed slightly over scale, when I get a chance I will compare them with the kit plans hopefully more posts now with some progress being on the cards, look out guys i'll be catching up. G

Posted by graham Gilliver on 15/04/2016 02:05:38:

My Kit has arrived, so after a couple more late shifts I will be able to get out the cyano. I have been reluctant to make a start as the plans I had printed up seemed slightly over scale, when I get a chance I will compare them with the kit plans hopefully more posts now with some progress being on the cards, look out guys i'll be catching up. G

Hi Graham,

I had the same thought when I scaled up the drawings I have done, but they do look like that. The canopy especially looks huge compared to the single seater, although it does correspond with the 1/48th plastic kit I've acquired, so I think yours looks very similar to my scale up. The former for the nose is approximately the same profile, although it is set higher on the centre line. I will put up pics tonight of that part, which only means then that an additional former is need between F2 and F3.

Its nice to see your scaled up drawings as it confirms my initial thoughts too!!

Look forward to yours progressing (am still building the building board as of yet myself).

Cheers

Ade

I'would love to be there in september Peter, but the odds are not good, the following year is a small possibility so I will keep an eye open for the next mass build and .........maybe in 2017 ... and technically my visit would be from New Zealand as Australia won't give us kiwis citizenship. big lift sounds great, our local slope is a bit cramped and fairly wind direction limited, the sea breeze in the afternoons works best but 40 km inland they are rarely classified as BIG lift. cheers g

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a start on the fwd fuse of the Ta4 conversion, I ended up making a new F1,taller and with curved top sides, a new F2a to fit between and had to shorten F2 and add a little to the top sides to make it wide enough to keep the parallel sides of the new canopy. hopefully the pics enclosed will help show what I have done. I also want to fit a 3s lipo and bec that I have on hand so have widened the battery box by and 1/8th" otherwise F3 is unchanged they are just pinned up to the new canopy base in the photo's as I have omitted to buy any 4" wide 1/4" sheet . some is coming along with the Jet Provost kit fro Traplet AUS so I have lots now to be getting on with.

hopefully this will work Ok as it seems a fairly simple way to keep strength in the nose and still give me the Tbird shape. The canopy base is just roughed out at this stage ,I imagine the curve at the front will be a bit flatter once it is all faired in. and there will need to be a bit of block atop the fore canopy area to give that bit of curve otherwise not much has altered at all really. I really like the colours etc of the last A4 and look forward to seeing that on progress too. Cheers G

snv31890.jpgsnv31888.jpgminor progress despite working the last few days, I have glued up the nose portion and faired things up to where I think they will work. I have chosen to add the lower triangles as they don't extend past the wing seat and this gave me the opportunity to sand them back ,thus eliminating the need to fettle them into the former cutouts. I hope this won't come back to bite me when it comes time to fit the fuse sides. Algernon and Percival have had a sit in place, without masks and visors etc but how small they look! they are pretty close to the dimensions Phil has given for his rather nice Realpilot so the scale shouldn't be far out.the longer TA4 nose gives a gentler curve required for the fwd fuse sides. so that is a wee bonus. Cheers Gsnv31887.jpg

Thanks Phil, It is just a bit of fun really, Should have looked at making it operable? still couldn't resist adding some sort of effect here as it is quite a large feature of the A4 generally. am likely to go with balance area's on the elevator and ailerons too. I realise that the catch factor may lead to easy damage there but what the hell!. G

Looks lovely - better than flat sides for sure. It looks like only a minimal bit of effort to make it operable from this state. I'd go for it, but then I do love having a rudder on my PSS lumps yes

Thanks, perhaps on the next one I'll use rudder, this one will probably get brakes instead. G