John Rood's USA blog: A4D-1 (A-4A) Skyhawk, circa 1956, Southern California

• 3 weeks later...

Blues.jpg

ABOVE:  A-4F Blue Angels -- I post this image tonight as we mourn the loss of Captain Jeff Kuss, USMC who died yesterday in his F/A-18 preparing for an airshow performance that was to happen this weekend in Smyrna, Tennessee. And the image below is not a Blue Angel Skyhawk, but for me it captures the mood here.

A4_aloft at sunset.jpg

Edited By John_Rood on 03/06/2016 22:39:50

DRAWING IN THE NOSE CENTERLINE: As I mentioned earlier, the early Skyhawk "A4D" (A-4A, B, and C) variants each have a nose centerline that is higher than what's shown on Phil and Matt's build plans, which cover the slightly later E, F, M, L (et al) models. In an earlier installment here I sketched my take on what that early A4D centerline might look like, and now I have transferred it to the core balsa nose structure.

In this first photo the pencil points to my line penciled-in on the plans, and next I penciled it in on the balsa and highlighted here in blue. It will add to my other reference lines to later shape the nose curves. I feel it is important to "know" that centerline and place it correctly on the core structure, so as to get the basic "look" right from the get-go.

A4D_CL_1.jpeg

In this next photo, the lower edge of the ruler runs along that line. And I've now marked it on the balsa structure:

A4D_CL_2.jpeg

So now I feel more confident that the basic look and feel of the early Skyhawk nose config will be there!

A4D_CL_3.jpeg

Edited By John_Rood on 09/06/2016 23:32:11

Nose curves:

A4D-1 and A4D-2 (later redesignated A-4A and A-4B)

image.jpeg

This was a test and evaluation aircraft at China Lake; note how the orange-yellow day-glo band is wearing badly -- a common thing with the hi-viz paint back then.  

• The A4D-1 lacked a refuelling probe, which was introduced with the A4D-2.   
  • The A4D-2N introduced a lengthened nose to accomodate upgraded avionics, and this variant was redesignated the A-4C.
  • The A-4E and F introduced a still-longer nose with a lower centerline angle. 

Edited By John_Rood on 10/06/2016 15:56:23

• 3 weeks later...

Where but the kitchen to properly open the Ancient Scroll... Hark! The build plans, kinda yeah the rough-hewn TORAH for our A-4 Skyhawk misadventurings here...

img_3729.jpg

And to lay down a heavy thick piece of glass to both FLATTEN the plans (Traplet really SHOULD provide them ROLLED) but moreso, provide a nearly dead-flat surface for building the 3/8" thick sheet balsa tail feathers.

I have completed assembling the tail parts and prepared the 1/16th balsa sheet wing skins;  all looks good.  However frustrated as I am unable to upload the pics -- the old software this website uses software is too cumbersome for me to use my via iPhone.  I shall try again later when I can get to my Mac.

Edited By John_Rood on 01/07/2016 01:11:00

Edited By John_Rood on 01/07/2016 01:18:00

Guys, unfortunately I can't seem to use this web forum's software efficiently;  mainly it is just far too frustrating for me to post photos here.  

A better way to see my progress is via

• Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/john.rood.902
  • and/or Instagram https://www.instagram.com/johnny_rood/

I am no tech expert, but is it just me, or is ModelFlying's web forum system using an antiquated software?  Their image "album" system, at least for me, is far too time-consuming!  Seems it flips photos in ways we don't want, it does not reliably "remember" names and titles we give to our images, so we can't file them in a logical (e.g., alpha-numeric) system so we can see and access our image files quickly for posting them.   Or maybe somehow I'm just not getting it?  

I'd love to even just simply copy and paste an image URL from my Flickr account or Facebook or Instagram, and then post it here, but thus far I am wholly unable to make that simple task happen here.   

Edited By John_Rood on 02/07/2016 22:09:26

Well, I got over my little crying jag cocktailcocktail and am back on the beat... here on the 4th of July the port wing panel is in the werks and the wife has brought me some mango sorbet with blueberries... recommended for any intrepid sky-voyager trying to build a model of the A-4 Skyhawk.

img_3818.jpg

Edited By John_Rood on 04/07/2016 18:43:57

• Like 1

img_3901.jpg

The center-section gussets are now complete and the 1/16th ply center-section joiner/dihedral brace is now dry-fit in place. I'll need to make a replacement for that ply piece as per Phil Cooke's mention; it needs to run all the way through the section, top to bottom, including through the balsa skins, and Traplet apparently made it less than the proper width. All good... and man it sure is great to see the many and sundry Skyhawks in this mass build taking shape.

ABOVE: That starboard panel sheeting attached "OK" yesterday, all secure and the washout looks good;  all is "OK" yes but really not to my "OCD-overperfect-insane-oddball-weirdo" mil-standard;   yesterday I glued all the structure at the same time, but I wasn't diligent enough about having materials in place AHEAD of time to lock down all the sheeting more thoroughly.  

So today I'm gluing the port panel a bit more piecemeal, as follows:

Gluing it down at one corner, letting things set in strong there, and then I'll walk the process outward.

Edited By John_Rood on 16/07/2016 16:43:31

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Q: What is accurate? A: I don't know!

Q: Does it really matter here? NO.

Recently I was made aware of a far more detailed depiction of the A4D-1 (A-4A) profile than I've seen thus far. I don't know if it is correct or not, but I have enlarged it for comparison with Phil and Matt's build plan for the A-4E/F, and also to compare it with the mods that I've previously drawn up. As you can see in the above photo, there is variance with the build plan --- a more shallow underbelly and a shorter tail TE.  

BELOW: With my A4D-1 nose sketch/template, the fit is better than I expected; the centerline matches what I'd drawn up and the length and shape are close.   

image.jpeg

Edited By John_Rood on 09/08/2016 22:53:39

It was a conscious compromise on the underbelly profile - as the wing chord has been increased a little from scale the fuselage profile had to be altered so it met the revised T/E position of the wing. This does make our models look just a little more 'porkly' around the waist than the full size.

The fin position and shape should be true scale - perhaps you have a slight scaling error with the blown up overlay - in the view above it doesn't quite meet the fuselage lower skin datum - Is that a clue its slightly under size?

• David Ashby - Moderator changed the title to John Rood's USA blog: A4D-1 (A-4A) Skyhawk, circa 1956, Southern California