Not another A4! (Blue Angel!)

With the front uppers pulled in it was time to add some extra strip infront of the cockpit to level off ready for sheeting.

dsc01614.jpg

dsc01620.jpg

This was all sanded down to leave a flat surface and the top sheet was added here and aft of the cockpit.

Unfortunately, I omitted to photograph of this part and the next part which compromised building up the nose!

Once this was done the nose was given a basic shape ready for further work!

A little more top decking was completed along the rear and the cutouts for the tail were done.

At the same time, the intake former's were glued into the pre-cut holes on the fuselage sides.

Now at this point I cut some length of sheet balsa and soaked them in warm water before wrapping them around a few spray laquer cans I had on a shelf and left them to dry ready for use for the intake ducting skins.

dsc01622.jpg

I already knew that I wasn't going to enjoy this part due to the complex curves just rear of the cockpit and boy was I right!!!!!

Having made a complete hash of trying to cut to fit, I reverted to a more tried and tested method of planking!!

Only a few parts on up to now but so much easier (albeit a little more time consuming!)

dsc02062.jpg

dsc02065.jpg

So that's where its currently at!

Once the paneling is done and sanded to shape, I will be fitting the snake outer and exhaust former at the rear!

Then it will be back to the air intakes and the lower rear sheeting before I start to big process of carving the beautiful curves of the fuselage!!

I will update as soon as able but please bear with me as its a busy time here!

Dave

I'm Back!!!!

So with the exception of the F9 at the rear (as I havn't decided on a pipe yet!), I have completed all the sheeting for the fuselage and have moved my attention to the intakes!

Now the real things have the intakes set off from the fuselage and I wanted to partially model this on my airframe!

So after a little think, I have the following.....

Considering that the bottom of the intake section will be flush and touching the side of the fuselage as per the plan, I am not going to infill the gap left at the top.

Instead I have inserted a bit of balsa dowel which will be trimmed down a tad to a better shape to support the top front of the intake!

With me? No!! Not surprised.. So a picture or 2 paint a thousand words!

dsc02088.jpg

dsc02089.jpg

This will mean that I will have to leave the intakes off the fuselage for the main shaping and then cover behind them a bit before attaching and final shaping for them! However, I think this will look really good!

Now I recently received quite a ribbing for not admitting to not owning a razor plane...

What I found I did own though is a small palm plane so it has had a clean and sharpen and is awaiting the mass of balsa removal that is immanent!

Also I have seen in action recently, atop the Orme, a Perma Grit sanding block. I was sold as soon as I saw how good they worked and the fact they don't wear out really is a huge bonus! So one was duly ordered and has now taken up residence in the workshop!!

dsc02092.jpg

That's all for now..

Stay tuned!!

Dave