Faulty product

fly boy3

I bought a power panel from a reputable dealer and in my opinion it had a fault on it. It turned out that there was 12v on the plug socket, which blew a 4st plug on test. I have no doubt that the panel will be replaced, but would it be cheek on my part to ask for a replacement plug or put it down to bad luck. Thanks

No not at all ,in my opinion your request would be perfectly valid. This is an odd hobby in that some customers seem to accept losses with new equipment and sadly some vendors seem to think along the same lines.

Image if it were say a TV set, if it blew up and damaged your house wiring then you would accept compensation?

I'm in dispute with the "Once" highly praised customer service department of Horizon Hobbies & they seem to think it ok to ignore my emails etc. I'm not sure what's gone on with that company but it's gone down hill.

The panel may turn out to be faulty but many panels do actually supply 12V to the plug but limit the actual current by "pulsing" the voltage on & then off again thus effectively reducing the voltage.

If the panel does turn out to be faulty then I would defintely ask for a new plug.....4st plugs are not cheap after all...

There's a big difference between a TV, which the user merely switches on and watches and something like a power panel in which the user has some technical input. However if the panel is shown to be faulty then I would certainly claim for a new plug but it's possible the vendor may ask you to prove the plug wasn't faulty before you connected it just as the TV retailer Justin refers to above may ask you to prove it was the TV that blew up your house wiring.

Geoff

Hi Shaunie, it does have a control, which I have not touched. For Geoff, you are right there is an input as the 12 v and 1.2v sockets are the same size, so care must be taken. I have spoken to the supplier who has asked for goods to be returned. We will see what transpires. Cheers

I would have thought that you should turn the control right down (usually fully anti-clockwise) before connecting the glow plug. Once connected the control should be slowly increased until your plug shows a medium bright orange glow, the setting will likely be different for different glow plugs. Make a note of the current so that you can reset it for individual plugs.

Thanks Ian, I would have thought the out put would be between 1.2v and1.5v at max. Initially the plug did glow a nice cherry red, but then more or less changed to white before blowing. Bear in mind this happened in about one second. As I said in my last post, it has been returned to supplier at their request. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 08/03/2016 19:35:52