Flyer's RNZAF 50th Anniversary A4

Quick question, I've been left behind with all the tech advances etc; I'm looking at using two mini servo's for the wing, and have been trying to source some futaba ones (as I've just moved to 2.4, I thought I'd update my servos). But I have also 'found' (stuck on shelf) two Hitec HG81's; would these be sufficient you think?

Also, canopy now at the primer stage; I'll post some pics up later.

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade,

A word of caution should be appropriated here, I think.

‘MG’ isn’t always related to ‘Metal Gear’.

It can also mean ‘Merlot Gris’ which is a pink-skinned colour mutation of the red wine grape Merlot and is sometimes used in ‘vin gris’ and rosé wines.

But the grape is also distinct from ‘Merlot Blanc’ which is a white French wine variety that came from a natural crossing of the Bordeaux wine grape Merlot and the Cognac grape Folle Blanche.

Anyway, “A votre santé”.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Merlot Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/08/2016 12:33:45

Finally finished the plug; have shown the 30cm ruler alongside for scale, as it's way bigger than the single seater.

This has been a huge learning curve, but I'm reasonably happy with the result. I have left the plug approx 10mm oversize to allow for trimming.

I should have a completed canopy now by the weekend, which is cutting it fine to be completed by the Great Orme, but as the weekend weather forecast should allow me plenty of building time.

By next week I should have the airframe completed. Then it's two weeks to finish and test fly!

Cheers

Ade

Finished canopy Plug

Posted by Andy Blackburn on 16/08/2016 08:22:10:

Nicely finished plug, that!

What did you finish it with, I assume it's the same construction as the first plug?

Hi Andy, its actually the same plug. Based on blue foam, sanded and filled with P38 car body filler. I then gave it a coat of finishing resin, followed by halfrauds filler primer, sanded by wet n dry, used wet. Quite happy with the finish, as this is my first ever attempt.

Hopefully it will produce a good canopy.

Cheers

Ade

will i make it.jpgWill I finish it in time? Have made some progress at last. I know the intakes are not quite right, but I think they capture the 'feel' of the aircraft. Now have both wings half built, so should have airframe finished by next weekend.

Gold spray cans obtained, so would hope to be finishing the A4 by the end of the month, and decals on order. I may not have time to test fly it, so may ask one of you PSS professionals to maiden it for me at the Orme......

btw I've made the splitters from litho plate, which I have found stuck in teh back of the workshop. No quite scale, but looks ok (from 20 metres in fading light)....

There may well be light at the end of this particular tunnel....... I just hope it's not an approaching train!!

Cheers

Ade splitter attempt.jpg

At last I've skinned the top of the wings, think I've got the correct wash out, but time will tell. Not sure at the moment whether it will fly in Spetember, but I have adapted the wing to take the bomb release system, rather than regret never fitting the release. Made from brass rod within the plastic control rod outer. I have fitted a plate of thin ply on the underside fo the wing, hoping that this will ensure that the bomb releases easily. Simply mechanism should give years of service. Time will tell. I should be spraying primer by next weekend.

Canopy due early next week, so that will allow me to finish the cockpit with 'cartoon scale' cockpit detailing. Even if I dont maiden it at The 'Orme' I will still bring it along. Looking forward to hiding mine behind all those excellent ones already completed

bomb release method.jpg

Cheers

Ade

Now feeling the pressure!!!! Just about finished the wings, although still have to do the wheel shrouds, Hoping to be glasssing airframe on Saturday. It's still 50:50 as to whether it will make the Orme next Saturday, but I'll give it a good go. But due to work constraints, I'm minded to do a 'proper job' rather than rush it!.

So it will make an appearance next Saturday, but whether it is finished is another thing! But now that I've spent so much time and effort in it, I'd like to finish it properly. And I promise the next model I make will be better!.

Cheers

Ade

Looks like I'm going to claim the 'epic fail' award; work's been busy, and as a result I've fallen behind. Also, I've not had my canopy back yet, and that may well hold up progress. I've just about finished the wing, and that will start glassing this afternoon, along with the fuselage. But, given that I've chosen to model the two seater, and have made work for myself, I'm not going to rush things now, as it may well spoil what I've achieved so far.

I'm also trying to get a former power model finished so that I have something to throw off the 'Orme' next weekend. The A4 will probably be only in primer by the weekend, but I will bring it along for the ridicule lol.

Cheers

Ade

blush

glassing 2.jpgFinally managed to make a start on the glassing; used Deluxe Materials, applied by using SWMBO credit card, satisfactory finish, and will be able to complete task this evening.

As you can see in the background, I've also prepared a conversion from power, as my hack model. Wonder if I'll be allowed to fly this naked on Saturday ??? !!! And before you lot comment, I mean in primer!

Not enough hours in the day!

glassing 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

canopy 2.jpgFinally had my canopy back today; work still manic, so not had a chance to cut it down; but I am happy with my first attempt at producing a mould. Elsdest off to Uni on Saturday, so build can recommence on Sunday to make sure I can maiden at the Orme in October.

canopy 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

canopy trial fit.jpgcockpit 3.jpgcockpit 2.jpgWork gets in the way of everything!!!!

Just a relief to get this far; I can now see myself finishing the A4, although it wont fly this coming weekend. crying 2 But since I've spent so long on the project I may as well finish it to the best of my abilities.

I have enjoyed the build, and have also learnt quite a few new techniques, which will be handy for my winter build project (s) !

The A4 now is coming to life by painting the excellent pilots from real model piolts, and I must thank Malcolm Baird for his assistance in obtaining something reasonable for the cockpit. Given that it's my first scale attempt, I am reasonably happy, although I do want to improve with the next few models. This is surely what this mass build is about!

I'll bring the A4 up to the Orme this weekend, just to get a few opinions on a few items I need to finish.

Cheers

Ade

cockpit 1.jpg

cockpit trial fit.jpgWork has conspired yet again to stop me completing the A4; however, I will take her up to the Orme on Staurday, as I need a little advice from the experienced guys so that I can complete her. Also, have discovered that SWMBO does NOT appreciate me using primer in the conservatory!!!! Thus I will have to wait until a weekend in order to finish the spraying., secret

At least it's starting to look like an A4, even if it is from a long way away and wearing dark glasses lol.

probe and cockpit .jpg

• 1 month later...

the rock.jpgcanopy fixed 2.jpgI've been putting off attaching the canopy for a few weeks now; I've also changed the rear of the canopy too. Mr Kettle will be pleased to note the actual 1/12th scale clipboard complete with message!!.

Now that I've managed this, the rest of this week will be using the filler to get airframe ready for final spraying.

I am hoping to maiden between Xmas and the New Year, all things considered.

Creeping closer to conclusion.

I've also attached a lobg distance (almost next county) view of the lads on the Orme in October. I really must get a bigger lens.

Cheers

Ade canopy fixed 1.jpg

• 3 months later...

Finally got myself back into sanding and filling. I said at the start that this is a learning process, and this is the first time I have used a resin and glass cloth finish. I've learnt a lot so far, and will do better next time.

Now trying to finish the aircraft for the April meet. Here's the result of many hours of filling and sanding. Hoping to get the first 'final' coat sprayed next weekend, weather permitting.

Still in primer