Flyer's RNZAF 50th Anniversary A4

Your Scooter is coming along nicely. Interesting to note that the anniversary of the build start date is just around the corner - no pressure LOL. Here is perhaps a little bit of inspiration for the 50th Anniversary scheme: **LINK**

Being 2017, it is now the 80th Anniversary of the formation of the RNZAF and we recently had a very well presented celebratory airshow. It was great to see the RAF A400 making the huge effort to get here to join in the celebrations: **LINK**

Posted by KiwiKid on 10/03/2017 16:11:29:

Your Scooter is coming along nicely. Interesting to note that the anniversary of the build start date is just around the corner - no pressure LOL. Here is perhaps a little bit of inspiration for the 50th Anniversary scheme: **LINK**

Being 2017, it is now the 80th Anniversary of the formation of the RNZAF and we recently had a very well presented celebratory airshow. It was great to see the RAF A400 making the huge effort to get here to join in the celebrations: **LINK**

No pressure at all lol Nice link KiwiKid. I'm hoping to start spraying the gold top coat this weekend. Then it will only be the fitting out.

Onwards and upwards

cheers

Ade

• 3 weeks later...

when swmbos away..1 002.jpgDue to unforeseen circumstances, and inclement weather, spraying of the A4 has proven to be difficult. So difficult in fact that I have had to resort to sending SWMBO away for the weekend, leaving the conservatory available to complete said spraying..... shhhhhh please .....

Anyway, here's a few pics to prove that I am edging closer to throwing this off a cliff!!! devilwhen swmbos away..1 001.jpg

Getting a little concerned about weight now; just weighed in at 1,200g without any radio gear and battery.

Will this be a problem, or will it just not a light wind floater? One light coat to finish the gold, then it's the red, white and blue stripes.

Not sure if she'll maiden this weekend, but we will see. I'm not that happy with my finishing skills, but I have learnt a load more skills for the next time!!

Should look ok from a distance

blush

does my rear look big in this.jpg

Hi Ade, Looking good!

When you say "1200g without any radio gear" - do you mean bare airframe only - with no servos?

For info - several of the A4's were over 3 lb flying weight - mine for example turned out at 3lb 2oz. and a couple were heavier again.

Look forward to seeing her scooting up and down the slopes!

See you soon

regards H

Edited By Harry Twist on 04/04/2017 22:26:46

Posted by Andy Meade on 05/04/2017 08:49:01:

Oooh that's so shiny! Nice one Ade. One last push, and she'll be ready for the toss this weekend?

Not sure yet Andy; may have to ask one of you nice lads to test fly it for me, as I've not had any stick time yet this year. sad

And it looks like I may just drive up for the day. Will see after work today

Posted by Andy Meade on 05/04/2017 08:49:01:

Oooh that's so shiny! Nice one Ade. One last push, and she'll be ready for the toss this weekend?

Having seen Andy attempts at "tossing off" the edge of the slope, I would advise some caution, and not a little vigilance. If you watch Mark Kettle's video, you will see what I mean. He often nearly falls over LOL.

Thanks Peter, I'd not really considered the quality of tossers available for the weekend. NIce video though, thanks Mark for that. I'm hoping to pop up on Sunday ready or not!

Enjoy the Saturday evening lads, and I hope no one leaves their transmitter at home........

secret

And , btw , does anyone have an easy way to remove masking tape glue from a canopy????

Cheers

Ade

• 4 weeks later...

hack pss.jpgFINALLY...........she's flown! Landed out due to flying through the lift; broken probe and snapped wing bolt. Apart from that, wow!!

Tracked nice once I dialled in four clicks right........ elevator was fine; but I think my c of g was a little forward, but not by too much.

Also, the wind was reducing, so I think I will wait for a little more next time.

Overall, happyt with myself that I've made something that will fly! And I promise I'll do better with the next one!!

But gold colour did not contrast well with the horizon and late evening sun!!!

Also fly the P80, but that was nose heavy and landed heavily. At least I can take out some of the 'ballast' now. I'm using it as my hack model, was originally a Westfield models version powered by a SC32. Only a razor planned wing, but seemed nice and effective.

flyers a4 shyhawk.jpg

well done, looks great.

did you have any issues with the extra side area at the nose? I note your comment that it tracked well ,but how was it in turns etc? that is something that has been worrying me,although I am still some way off yet.

your cockpit detail really sets things off, I am afraid I have made structural decisions that won't allow me to go anywhere near that level of detail,

please keep posting on here as flying continues i would love to hear more impressions and that may even motivate me to crack on a bit more with mine.

again well done! Cheers Graham

Posted by graham Gilliver on 30/04/2017 00:40:32:

well done, looks great.

did you have any issues with the extra side area at the nose? I note your comment that it tracked well ,but how was it in turns etc? that is something that has been worrying me,although I am still some way off yet.

your cockpit detail really sets things off, I am afraid I have made structural decisions that won't allow me to go anywhere near that level of detail,

please keep posting on here as flying continues i would love to hear more impressions and that may even motivate me to crack on a bit more with mine.

again well done! Cheers Graham

Thanks Graham; although it looks a lot better from a distance. The increased side area does not seem to affect the flying, and the turns can be made scale like. I'll report back more when I get some better flying conditions, as it was marginal and I struggled to gain any height, but it was enough of a flight to know that I will definitely enjoy it. I'll also be replacing the canopy as there is significant dust ingress, which has spoilt the look. I'll also be adding the canopy frame.

cheers

Ade

Thanks Ade, It's good to know there are no major changes in the handling. getting a flight done is a big step and those little changes will feel more worth doing now. good stuff, keep at it, If only the need to pay bills would go away I'd be joining you sooner. I may still test fly mine in primer tho'. Cheers Graham

Posted by Harry Twist on 01/05/2017 00:24:27:

Hi Ade, Great to hear you have maidened your A4! It looks great with the graphics over the gold. I'm sure with a bit more of a breeze you will have her sorted.

P80- looks good also!

Look forward to seeing you soon. Regards H

Thanks Harry, although the P80 is rough; I'm only intending to use it as a hack to test the slope first. But for a 3/8 balsa wing, it does fly well.

cheers

Ade