Micron PL7d

gangster

I built a Micron transmitter when I first started getting interested in aeromodelling but I gave it away together with the documentation some years ago. I converted it to 40Mhz to use for model yachting IIRC. However I still have circuits and documentation for Micron receivers and you're welcome to them if they're of any use.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the offer but I have the documentation for the receivers that I have. Kind of you to offer though.

Percy Yes I believe that the last ones were red, The one I have is red

Yes I built the PL7D when it first came out, it was white and AM of course.

I must admit I went right off the open gimble sticks when the rain got in one evening and I swapped it for a Futaba M

I now have one which I might put on 2.4

That's interesting Bob it vaguely rings a bell

I already have the kind offer of a plan which I have accepted but I will bear this in mind as I think there were variations. I believe mine was a late one with rates and possibly mixers so would certainly be grateful for any info on those facilities. Cheers

From what I remember, Micron products were generally in white moulded cases, although this red one turned up in a search:

**LINK**

The RCM&E transmitter whci hwas built from a kit about the same period has a red plastic coated aluminium case with black plastic ends. The bottom of the case was a continuous curve from front to back, and the case tapered in towards the top.

Posted by gangster on 28/03/2016 14:41:55:

Hi

i am looking for a set of plans and instructions for the later red pl7d. The one with the adjustment holes in the side cheeks

anyoe able to mail me a PDF etc please

Is it the RM Digicon, circa 1986 ?
If so I have the original free plan style mag centre spread in my hands. Also have photo copies of the follow up articles from Jan to May '86.

Give me a shout if it's what you want.

Pat.

Robin and Pat. Thanks for your interest guys.

Robin

Yes that is very similar to mine with the six proportional channels on the red moulded front panel. The differences from what I can see from that photo is that the black aluminium part does not have an additional proportional channel but does have a very large Micron PL7D 35Mhz label. and a very large 35Mhz label as well.

The power LEDs are the same and there are two swithches on the top panel ,one three position.

Like you and others have said we generally remember Micron as black and white right from the single channel ones,

I know the RCM&E very well as I still have the one that I built in 1979 I built the full version with all the bells and whistles, well ahead of anything you could buy I would still fly it now but the sticks are worn out, although I believe SLM still make them. Mive was actually in that same tapered curved case but not the red vynyl covered one but a plain aluminium one, very smart, I cannot remeber the company that supplied it.

Pat thanks for the offer and I would be interested if the RM digicon is the same, surprisingly I never followed that article, I think it was due to the fact that with family commitments I stopped taking RM and RCM&E every month.

What I have is very similar to the one in Robins link with the differences described above

The rate switches have little pots biult into the assembly and there is a hole in the end cheek to reach this In addition there are three pots on the pcb assemblies around the sticks on each side each of these,total 6 has a corresponding hole in the end cheek , these are proper origional holes properly moulded. I have no idea what the pots do, I assume epa for the six channels, I have not experimented as once I got the thing to work I ripped out the power wiring,battery and the switch due to the worst case of black wire corrossion I have ever seen. It has been left like that since January due to other projects etc, The encoder board have plugs for all the channels ,reversing? Very complex screening and decoupling on the encoder ic, must have been the result of nightmare breakthrough during development.

If the RM digicon has a similar arrangements of the pots etc then yes please I would be very interested to see the plans,either scanned PDF or copies and would be keen to make some sort af arrangement with you to cover costs involved

Thanks Guys

regards Gordon

The RM Digicon was the one I was thinking of, there was an add-on board that plugged onto teh mainboard to add rates and delta mixer. I think mine went in a clear out a couple of years ago. I built the RCM&E one too, that was a more complex beast using basic logic chips to build the encoder, and a shift register decoder. The case was cut from old vinyl finish desk units in our toolroom as one of the toolmakers was into RC. My endplates were carved from walnut and lacquered, so the TX really was a nice piece of furniture.

Back to the RM TX - when I returned to RC back in the early 90s I think it was Geoff Sleath that kindly supplied me with his old Micron set to resurrect my RM Digicon.

Gordon, I've had a quick look at all photo copied parts, AFAICS - pt 1 is the Tx assembly instructions; pt 2 covers construction of a couple of Rxs; pts 3 & 4 cover channel mixing; pt 5 is a simple wall wart charger construction.

If you PM me your address & say which parts you'd like I'll get them plus the centre spread posted to you. I'm guessing that you won't want Pts 2 & 5.

Pat.

Gonzo Now that is interesting information Maybe explains why there is an earth sheild bent right over the top of the NE5044 to which is soldered the earth side of 7 capacitors all going to the pins on one side.

Is there an easy answer such as heavy decoupling on the power line or is 2.4 Ghz conversion best left alone on this

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys the little PC on the top of the NE5044 was to cover the chip from RF. Note the PC under the chip is also earth. In those days strong RF was a problem and could alter the center position of servos as the aerial was extended. 1000pf caps all over the place and screen the chip worked well on 27/35/40/72 MHz. absolutely no servo position change. Phil G would give better advice on 2.4GHz convesrion but I would bet no problem would be found.

Good to hear from you Terry a link with my RC rootsWe did indeed meet way back in the 70s when I travelled up to Sandiacre to buy firstly a n AM PL7d TX kit and a week or so later to get rx and servo kits.

To all of you who offered advice in this thread the project is still work in progress. First step will be to replace battery switch and power wiring then the descision will be whether or not to convert to 2.4 or not I would like to use my micron receivers so it may well stay on 35. It's in the pile of half finished projects but the plan is to fly it next year