Notams

ChrisB

I know its been discussed before but do clubs put themselves on the Notams map and or inform the RAF or their location? I know that clubs within ATZ need to make their locations known for obvious reasons but what about clubs that are based in uncontrolled airspace?

CB

I enquired about getting a NOTAM for our field after we had a bit of bother with a low flying full size aircraft.

CAA weren't interested.

It would make sense to me if all flying fields appeared on maps used for flight planning. Maybe the maps are complicated enough and the current practices for ensuring minimum separation are deamed to be good enough.

3 local clubs (including BEB's) appear in the Aeronautical Information Publication for Liverpool Airport's Class D Airspace under 'Warnings' as follows:

(f) Radio controlled models up to 20kg operate at maximum altitude 400ft agl during daylight hours only, between 1000-2100 (local), within the confines of :
(i) Frodsham Marshes (132° - 4.4nm)
(ii) Halton Moss (085° - 7.6nm)
(iii) Arrowe Park ( 290° - 11nm)

For interest, the BMFA are organising a map in conjunction with the CAA. I enquired after low flying military aircraft came over our patch. There is quite a lot of red tape involved like tenancy agreements, planning permission etc. Since we wish to keep a low profile and prefer to stay away from men in grey suits carrying clipboards we did not proceed. If you feel this is in your club interests contact Manny Williamson at the BMFA.

We have, however, implemented a rule that members flying alone keep below 150ft and when groups are present one member acts as a spotter.

Rob