PCB design.

Darrell Woodward

I want to build my mother a hifi amplifier for her 70th birthday BUT after 6 months of on / off struggling with design sw I'm still no closer and the build deadline grows ever closer.

The design is fully functional but for DIY Non-profit use only, designed by a chap called Nelson Pass, who's company Pass Labs produce some of the finest amps at any cost......

I've asked on some hifi forums and got what amounts to zero interest.

"Do it on perf-board" was the common answer and while I can solder and not make a hash of it, p-board would look horrid in a semi-open / glass topped case.

So, Does anyone reading this forum know of some one who could help?

PS: I am not after 'owt for nowt' and will happily renumerate within reason.

Yup, already have F5 and ACA...... built on perf-board.

The design I'm going to re-visit is called Zen V4 who's analogue is a 2 stage single ended valve amp' Pass did a pcb a long time ago and provided the gerbers, but a change of web host and I guess a lack of interest saw them removed.

Hand made PCB is quite easy to achieve using a Photoetch pen and plain copper PCB board from Farnell's or Rapid Electronics, but the etchant, Ferric Chloride is lethal on sinks and drains, and skin.

You can negate all this by buying made up amps and circuit boards on eBay or Radio Shack/ maplin, with regular circuit designs.

I design my PCBs in DesignSpark (free from RS) and then have the boards made in China; the company I use has a minimum order of 5, but TBH they're so cheap it doesn't worry me.

Failing that, toner transfer has worked well for me in the past, but doing double sided boards is more tricky which is why I switched to getting boards made outside.