One Eighteenth of a Canberra B.2

Andy Blackburn

> I wouldn't have time right now, particularly what with all the planking.

I feel compelled to point out that there's nothing to stop you making ~4 slots for 1/8" stringers per side with a needle file (Permagrit ones are really quick for that), glueing the stringers in and then covering in 3/32" sheet panels; there's a post further up the thread about pre-forming compound (3D) curves in 3/32" sheet panels, but a lot of the fuselage can be covered in 2D panels anyway. I didn't do it this way because by the time it occurred to me I'd already started on the fuselage, and the planking didn't take that long anyway.

• 8 months later...

My dad tried to order the woodpack on the phone with Sarik before Christmas too - it's still a few weeks off apparently - should be available in the new year - they announced similar on the 'Model Aircraft Builder' facebook page.

Great to see a pull out PSS plan in the mag (and a good one at that!) thumbs up Congrats Andy.

>Just to say that I tried to find it as a wood kit on Sarik Hobbies website but it doesn't seem to be there. Have you any news?

Hi Peter - I haven't, I'm afraid. I think the original plan was that parts would be available before Xmas, so they're probably running a bit late...

> My dad tried to order the woodpack on the phone with Sarik before Christmas too

Your dad's building one?...

After having flown it for a bit, the only additional thing I'd recommend is to pop-up the ailerons as brakes, otherwise it has a tendency to fly straight through the landing area if you have a little bit too much speed on; I wish I'd experimented with moving the aileron hinge line upwards a little bit so that there's more up-aileron available...

Oh, and the bomb-aimer's transparency is still in one piece!

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 29/12/2017 14:23:08

• 1 month later...

I haven't got an official list but let's see if I can make one up with reference to the plan; I tend to cut most of my strip from sheet so I know what density it is but I'll convert to strip balsa here;

• You should be able to do the fuselage with 4 sheets of medium-soft 1/8" x 4" x 36"
  • The fuselage will also need a bit of 1/4" x 1/2" for the hatch doubler and a bit of scrap 3/8" square for mounting the rudder servo. And some scrap bits of soft 1/4" and 3/8" sheet for the tail infill.
  • Wings are skinned with 16 sheets of medium 1/16" x 4" x 36"
  • Wing leading edge is hard 1/4", 2 lengths of 1/4" x 1/2" x 36"
  • Also, wings require two hard strips of 3/32" square x 36" and a few scrap bits of 1/8", and some scrap soft thick sheet for the tips
  • Nacelles will should be do-able from 2 sheets of soft 3/32" x 4" x 36" and (I think) 2 sheets of soft 3/16" x 4" x 36"

In summary, we have (not counting the odd scrap that you will probably have lying around):

• 4 x 1/8" x 4" x 36", weight 39-42 grams each
  • 16 x 1/16" x 4" x 36", weight 23-24 grams each
  • 2 x 1/4" x 1/2" x 36", weight 14-15 grams each
  • 2 x 3/32" x 3/32" x 36", weight 1+ grams each
  • 2 x 3/32" x 4" x 36", weight 18-22 grams each
  • 2 x 3/16" x 4" x 36", weight 42-44 grams each

And if you haven't got any soft sheet for the tail infill and tips, you'll probably need

• 1 x 1/4" x 3" x 36", weight 40-45 grams
  • 1 x 3/8" x 3" x 36", weight 55-65 grams

I think that's about it. Hope that helps...

> So it will be a toss up between the Hurricane and the Canberra at this rate.

Well.. looking at it, I imagine that the Hurricane might be quicker to build. But if you want something nice to fly that has speed, Presence and character, there is only the one choice. I'm bound to get a bit of flak for saying that, but couldn't resist... smiley

I used to have a Hurricane from a Balsacraft kit, but sadly it met its end when some fool (me) flew it into a barbed wire fence. I've not seen the mass build plan but I must admit I'd be tempted if it was a quick build (I've got a lot on this year); there are about four or five Hurricane colour schemes (MkI/MkII/PR/trop/Sea Hurricane) that I currently favour (it'll probably be a different set in a month or so).

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 08/02/2018 16:37:41

• 1 year later...