Harry's A4 Scooter

Hi All, just thought I would do a little post event update on the maidening and flying of my A4.

On the day- thanks to booming lift and a good launch directly into wind from Pete G, the A4 climbed away easily - straight and level with no left right tendency but also penetrating well. This helped me relax massively before putting in some turns. In turn the model felt really responsive - without tendency to overbank. In fact I think my favourite view of an A4 in flight is the topside view in a turn - fantastic.

It also brought a big smile to my face and gave me a big buzz - since one of my fears had been that the model would be highly sensitive in roll and I wanted a "soft" set up - certainly to start with!

Prior to launch I had set control throws at around the recommended elevator movement ( around +/-10mm) but had completely detuned the ailerons to around +/= 5 mm - this was my aileron low rate setting - and used for flight I also had 30% expo. In my case I think the detuned ailerons helped tremendously, since I felt straight away at home with the model in the air - immediately having confidence to fly the model positively.

I had taken great care to ensure the CoG was exactly as plan.

My model came out at a midge over 3lb - so it will be interesting to see the wind speed range over which the model will fly.

I need to get used to the size of the model -she is a little smaller than some of my other models - my judgement of how far downwind she went prior to landing was not very good!

Future tweaks - I may add an exterior switch - in my desire to keep a clean looking airframe I fitted an internal switch - with its attendant wing off to switch on/off issue - a bit faffy so a switch may appear outside. Also my "slide in" exhaust cowling piece is catching on the ele pushrod/link - so a little more shaving needed here - but a minor issue. I just want to fly and enjoy the model really!

In summary - wow - a great model to build and then such a joy to fly!

Many thanks to Phil and Matt for creating the whole A4 project -plus thanks to everyone else who offered advice and support during the build and over the A4 weekend.

Congrats again Harry on a superbly finished model! It's great to read your words about having enjoyed the build and finishing of this model as part of a community of modellers, and that the flying of the model for the first time last weekend gave you such a 'buzz'! I cant wait to get them out again on the slope when we meet in October!

Like the mass built JP before it, the A-4 Skyhawk will surely now become a regular site on our slopes for the next few seasons!! thumbs up