PSS A-4 Skyhawk - The completed model thread

a402.jpgOk all finished and ready for next weekend. Full credit to Phil and Matt for a sterling job, the kit parts, plan and instructions were so accurate making for a smooth and easy build. Well done guys. The only deviation to the original was to cut foam cores exactly to plan and skin in 1/16 balsa. I covered it in silver solartex as it smooths all the imperfections and takes paint well. Tamia spray is excellent. It came out at 3lb 4oz so it will need a decent wind. Unflown as yet.a401.jpg

Finished my Sky Hawk smiley

dsc_8300_5660.jpg

AUW weight is 1350g, a fraction under 3lb so similar to other builds covered in glass. It balances with the Rx battery right forward plus 15g of lead. I'm not sure why it has come out tail heavy compared with the prototype.

This is my first PSS model and a really enjoyable experience it has been too. It wont win any prizes for scale detail or build quality but not too shabby for a first attempt.

sky hawk 2.jpg

I'm off to Cornwall next week for a few days flying with some mates so I hope to get some test flights in then, before the Great Orme event next weekend.

Got my Skyhawk finished tonight.smiley

This version is an A4-D2 early model with build no 142083. Model is glassed with lightweight cloth/Eze Cote and then spray painted with rattle cans in aluminium and red/orange. Ended up at 3lb 2ozs. Really enjoyed building the model - an excellent plan and woodpack have helped! I would like to thank Phil Cooke and Matt Jones for the planning and creation of this mass build project enabling us to construct our A4's.

Not maidened yet but hopefully very soon....

p1060449.jpg

p1060441.jpg

p1060445.jpg

Wow - some stunning models reaching the finishing line just in time - fantastic stuff! I cannot wait to see all these models grouped together this weekend.

Harry - your silver and day-glo scheme looks superb! Good to see one of the earliest variants modelled. And Chris, your build is something special - and innovative. The last variant, indeed the last one ever made - so a full spectrum of A-4s will be on show from the earliest to the latest (and hopefully 25 others in between!)

Well done chaps, congrats on your new creations!

Posted by Graham Foster on 08/09/2016 15:51:04:

Finally finished my A4 originally built by Mike "electric" Austin. Balanced right on with no ballast.

Sorry I can't make it to the Great Orme, hope you guys have a great day despite the dodgy weather forecast.

Here's your pic Graham.

scooter.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 09/09/2016 19:58:44

After a 6 month build this only just got finished in time this week - whoops!

A-4E Aggressor Skyhawk - 'Jesters Hotrod' from the Top Gun film.

AUW 2lb 11oz - needed 1oz of ballast in the nose to achieve the 155mm plan quoted CoG. Glassed in 25g cloth with Fighter Aces epoxy resin and finished in airbrushed acrylic paints. Pilot by Real Model Pilots. Decals and masks by ModelMarkings. Refueling probe 3D printed by Andy Meade.

Fitted with 3 servos - programmed with a little flap and 'draggerons' for use on landing.

editimg_1397.jpg

editimg_1414.jpg

editimg_1449.jpg

Yes indeed..... a great mass build effort with some excellent looking finished models!

You've raised the bar yet again Mr Cooke....truly beautiful workmanship.

Not the booming wind forecast of earlier in the week, but I reckon it will still suit most of the lighter stuff - including scooters.

Looking forward to our penultimate meeting of 2016 yes

Edited By Tim Mackey on 09/09/2016 20:04:07

• 4 weeks later...

A4 Skyhawk glider for PSSA - 36" wing span 40" long, 3 x Hitec HS65 metal geared servo's, thats two for ailerons and one for elevator, AA battery supplies the power and weighs 36 oz made from balsa and ply, covered in Solar Film. I put in a second servo fly lead in the RX on channel to programme the ailerons, up going ailerons flap and down going elevator a kind of 'draggerons' for slowing down use on landing.

After a 1 month build I have just got it finished in time for the Mass Build Event at the Great Orme, and taking it this weekend for the last meeting of the year.

A-4D - 1 Skyhawk - Build No: 142168 based on VMA - 224 'Bengals'. Flying from MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina in 1957.

So a AUW of 2lb 4 oz with a 1/12th scale pilot 3D printed by Andy Meade and decals by Tim of ModelMarkings.

20161005_010255.jpg

20161005_010503.jpg

20161005_010837.jpg

2016-09-28 (7).jpg

Ready and shot taken before leaving for the slopes.

Black Knights Skyhawk

I finally had my Skyhawk airworthy and ready for flight at the Great Orme yesterday, but the wind let us down. It was only sufficient for lighter models, so the model remains unflown.

My Black Knight came out at a very satisfying 34oz, giving a wing loading of 18 oz.per sq ft (calculated wing area of 1.88sq ft, excluding the width of the fuselage).

These photos were taken at the ski slope site:

1610_0801_frontright.jpg

1610_0807_rearleft.jpg

1610_0804_underleft.jpg

1610_0805_headon.jpg

Control throws have been set as per the latest feedback from Phil and other fliers:

Ailerons: 12mm up 9mm down; using mechanical differential from a single Hitec HS225MG servo.

Elevator: 12mm up, 12mm down; using another Hitec HS-225MG servo.

Radio is JR XG7 with an RG712BX Receiver and Ripmax Eneloop 2000mAh Nimh battery.

AUW: 34oz, including 0.75oz noseweight.

• 3 months later...

Any more completed A-4s lurking out there since our event?

I'm conscious there are still a number of models flown at the event (and since) that have not been shown to us on here - lets see if we can capture them all in one place - Do please keep your photos and descriptions of the finished models coming in!

edit1024img_1743.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll class this as finished, although I do need to replace the canopy and add a few decals. But it has flown, so in my mind that is finished. Everything after this point can be deemed 'upgrades'.

laugh But I am happy that it did fly, and early signs are good. I am happy now I decided to do the two seater, although I have frequently questioned my decision.

Anyway, now to look to my next build. And yes, it is a two seater! flyers a4 shyhawk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...