RIOT XL

David Soper

Have been flying my Apprentice 15e for a few months and really enjoying it, It has taught me a lot, especially as now i am not too scared to fly in a bit of wind. Im thinking ahead as to maybe the next model?

2 have been suggested to me , the Ripmax WOT4 and the MaxThrust RIOT XL,

The WOT4 comes as ARTF and i really cant be bothered with buying gear and installing it. I like the look of the new RIOT.. has anyone got this model and how does it perform?

[edited for language infringement]

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/07/2016 22:01:09

I don't know about the XL but the smaller Riot is my model of choice when it's windy. I flew it most of the day yesterday and it flew very well and lots of touch and goes, spins, rolls etc were the order of the day. I had one flight with my Acrowot FoamE which was manageable but not entirely enjoyable. Landing wasn't too bad (a couple of T & Gs) but it was blown about a lot in the gusts.

If the XL is anything like its smaller brother it'll be fine.

I getting fed up with the wind (and rain!) this year. I really wanted to fly my DB 58" Tiggie but I didn't even bother assembling it. I think it would have been OK - just - but there's more time invested in it than the Riot.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff.. Im with you, we are in July and im up the field this morning in a jumper!. As newbie i appreciate the need to learn with a 'trainer' model, but with the apprentice you need full throttle to plough through any head wind, and down wind if not careful as with any model it can just get away from you!.

Im told the extra wingspan on the new XL makes it even more stable in wind which is what we seem to have more often than not

The bigger Riot flies well but it does have a few fragile areas which are highlighted by it's weight. I got caught out with a heavy landing that a Wot 4 FoamE would have shrugged off, the XL ended up needing splints in the fuselage under the tailplane and rebuilding of the embedded ply U/C mount points. A few more reasonable landings and it's starting to come loose again - there's no give in the U/C legs to absorb landing loads. I'd happily use that U/C on a 1.20 glow model!

Personally I'd be just as happy to fly my little Wot 4 in wind, at least it will bounce most of the time. The XL may seem a little steadier, but is less resilient.

The small Riot has a very sturdy construction. The undercarriage is screwed to a plywood crutch that extends right back to the area where the servos are fitted. It's been bent a few times but never got anywhere near being detached. I know about the construction because I destroyed my first airframe (after several 100 flights) when I inadvertently took off with reversed ailerons (don't ask because I don't know!). I had no hesitation in buying a new fuselage and wing set and moving the components from the original to the new. The old one was getting very tacky so it wasn't a difficult decision.

I don't know about the Wot4E but my AcrowotE undercarriage has had to refitted after getting wiped off in a not too serious landing. So definitely lighter but not so strong or rugged.

Geoff

Just establishing where I coming from: I have owned a WOT4 and flown many others. I have never owned either type of RIOT, I've not flown the XL, but I have flown a couple standard RIOTs.

Standard RIOT and WOT4 both excellent flyers I have no reason to assume the Riot XL is different - both great second models. Personally I prefer the WOT4 - but if I'm being honest I don't really have a good reason for that - just what I know best I think. smile.

In my view you could buy either and you would be very happy with it.

BEB

PS Ditto on the blasted wind - I keep thinking "its got to stop sometime"!

Posted by David Soper on 15/07/2016 20:07:34:

i guess its a gamble Bob on wether to expect any heavy landings, my Apprentice has spindly UC, i have already replaced nose wheel twice, but ty you have given me food for thought

It's a gamble I wouldn't take odds on if your intent is to fly in windier weather, it's a case of when not if. Your spindly U/C has the great benefit that it does not transmit heavy loads into the airframe so it's good that it acts as a sacrificial element in the overall structure.

The simple question is - would I buy another Riot XL. Answer - not at it's current retail price. I could nearly get two Wot 4s for the cost of the XL, or 1 Wot 4 and a handful of new LiPos.

Now im really undecided lol i had set my mind on Riot XL thinking the Wot 4  needed Servos and Esc, but the shipping spec for the Wot 4 is the same as the Riot XL... ie just need Receiver and Battery.

The Wot 4 is £114 the Riot is £209... what the hell do you get for the extra money apart from the extra 200mm wingspan on the XL

Edited By David Soper on 16/07/2016 13:47:41

HELP!

Have just bought a RIOT XL, i having problem with electronics.

I have installed a Spektrum AR 636 Rx, and i have a DX6.

The Rx has binded ok, I reset new model on Tx as required, all connections i think are ok ie Motor to port 2 Ailerons to port 3 Elevator port 4 Rudder to port 5 Flaps to port 6 (gear) and glider release to port 7 (Aux)

I have a spare wire named switch 7 i have no idea what that is.

The motor responds to Tx but nothing else. I can only assume ive missed something.

Any help appreciated

I can't help much as I don't use Spektrum, but if the motor is responding to throttle and all the servo connectors are plugged in the right way round I would have thought you would get a response from at least elevator and rudder. Double check the servo plugs aren't connected into the receiver the wrong way.

Switch 7 is probably the wingtip light connection. You can either plug it straight into the receiver for continuous on.

edit - isn't Spektrum channel assignment:

1- Throttle
2- Aileron
3- Elevator
4- Rudder?

I see the 636 is AS3X, does it need some programming?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/07/2016 19:35:15

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/07/2016 19:37:15

Posted by David Soper on 23/07/2016 19:15:34:

I have a spare wire named switch 7 i have no idea what that is.

That's for the wingtip LEDs if you want the LEDs lit then just plug it in any spare Rx socket, if you wanted them activated from a switch you'll need to get an electronic switch. TBH they are not visible during the daytime so I would just leave them unplugged

Posted by David Soper on 23/07/2016 20:11:15:

Can i set the flaps be on a 3 switch setting? ie no flap half flap or full flap?

I have mine on a 3 way switch, with first position about 25 degrees and 2nd position around 70 degrees, I have to rotate the servo arm round on the servo and adjust the linkage on mine to do this. You'll also need to mix some down with the flaps are it will nose up when you apply the flaps.

You wouldn't be using the AR636 from the apprentice would you? If so it will definitely need reprogramming. Servo/surface centre and throws will need setting up on the AR636. The AS3X functions need setting to each individual model. You will be able to programme the flaps to a 3 position switch on your transmitter.

Hi Ian no the Apprentice comes installed with E Flights own Rx.. it is not programmable... i wanted to turn AS3x off but am unable to. On the Spekrum AR636 the default setting is AS3x disabled. When i power up the model the flight surfaces are all over the place... i just need to set a center point for all surfaces