Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9

Former Member

Interesting. Looks very smart. It might be a "Marmite" bit I like it.

First thought - can you get to those rollers when using a tray?

Second thought - relatively few switches - or is that just an impression it creates?

Third thought - I'm not sure that "dedicated switches" is a step forward personally?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/08/2016 14:31:11

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 16:4

As pointed out in the RCM&E review, there are no free mixers or servo slow capability at the moment. I say at the moment, because I feel sure there will be an update to remedy this. I'm wondering if there's some reason why they were not included from the start. I hardly think they forgot. We'll see what an update brings when it appears.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 16:47:15

Hi Percy, a friend has one of these and we programmed in two of his 1/4 scale gliders, both with airbrakes but no flaps, all very easy an staightforward, we had a vario also hooked up to give vario tones and height readouts.

But you are a bit out of date the 1.20 release provides 8 free mixers, 4 control side and 4 servo side, this with the inbuilt mixers should make most users happy. Unlike the Royal Pro/Sx and Profi only some of the controls and switches are assignable, for instance the dual rate and combi switch are fixed, but for the fliers this is aimed at this is fine as they like to look at the tx and be told what it does. I can't see a tray being released for this as accessing the rollers wouldn't be easy, but I'm wondering if there's a Profi Sx in the works too.

PS there are also some updated instructions to go with the 1.20 update.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 07/08/2016 17:33:48

Percy, no special update lead required, just a USB cable. Then make sure you've let the Multiple launcher program do it's update and it will guide you through the update process, which is very straightforward and only takes a few mins.

Note this was on a Windows 10 PC, I don't think the Multiplex Launcher program runs on an Apple Mac

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 07/08/2016 18:27:43

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys, after deliberating for ages I took delivery of a Cockpit SX 9 today. I took a while to buy it as my 'old' Cockpit SX still performs faultlessly as always and the only real reason for upgrading is because I've used all the model memories on the old set. But I like the speech output as well, I don't always hear the beeps on the old Cockpit, and it will be much better on the models that use telemetry sensors.

I also bought the USB-PC lead (85148) so I could save all the models on the old tx and upload them to the new one. I've saved the old models OK using Launcher but I can't see how to upload them to the new set. Launcher works fine with it but I just can't work out how to upload the info. Have I just wasted £37 odd on the lead?

Andy, I'm going to say yes, I have the old Cockpit Sx (35mhz version) and a friend has the newer Cockpit Sx9, the programming while it will feel similar is quiet a bit different and I don't think it is possible to copy model settings across, you couldn't copy models across from the Royal Pro to the Profi and the programming structure on those is very similar. But on the upside the new Sx9 is very easy to program and resetting up your existing models shouldn't take much time at all. You should see if you can return the lead or exchange it for some other accessory.

Note Multiplex have a new technical forum for questions here it's in German but if you use the Google Chrome browser it translates it well and you'll get answers to questions posted in English.

Thanks for the reply Frank.

My old tx is the 2.4GHz Cockpit, don't know if that makes any difference. I read this and assumed I'd be ok: **LINK**

I've asked the question on the Multiplex Modellsport Facebook page, I may get an answer tomorrow. If not I'll try the forum that you suggest. As you say, it's not too difficult to set all the models up again manually if I have to. I bought the lead thinking it would also be needed to download any future software updates for the new tx, but of course I now realise that's not the case.

If all else fails I may have to exchange it for other modelling gear, could be worse!

Yes, MPX should update the description, it states future transmitters when the new transmitters now only require a standard USB cable, Also when hooking up the new Cockpit SX or Profi to the launcher program is different to the older transmitters, with the older transmitters the Launcher program brings up the older interface.

A quick update. I returned the cable and have been given a full refund, excellent, many thanks Kings Lynn Models.

I've manually entered the info for 5 of my most 'current' models and, as Thursday had perfect flying weather, I flew all 5 and trimmed them out. All good, no problems.

I like the talking timer, a great improvement on the beeps of the older version of the Cockpit. I also like the Range Check mode vibration. I've never tried to fly with the old transmitter in Range Check mode inadvertently but on the new one it vibrates so much it would be virtually impossible! I've seen a couple of people (with other makes of transmitter) take-off in Range Check mode...it never ends well!

Multiplex Modellsport messaged me following my query and said to ring Customer Support in Germany. I rang yesterday and was pleased that the initial "Press button 1 for sales" etc was in German and English but when I got to Technical Help there was only a message in German. I think it probably said "Go away, we're having our Christmas party" or similar! So I took Frank's advice and asked on the forum. I very quickly had a reply saying it's not possible because the hardware and software are not compatible. That's fair enough, at least I know.

Thanks for the help.

• 3 months later...

I've flown with mine a lot now and it's excellent. I don't find it as nice to hold as the previous version (C2, the new one is C3), but it's fine.

You can control the speed of flight phase switching so you might be able to use that to slow a servo, depends on what you want to use it for really. I expect MPX will add the feature before too long.

Rather off topic, I recently bought a Unisens-E sensor from SM Modellbau, it's excellent combined with the new talking tx. As well as the usual current, voltage,mAh consumed etc, it measures rpm and has a vario and an altimeter. As many of the readings as you want can be displayed on the screen, and also spoken if you want. I've been flying an electric glider and usually have it speaking mAh and altitude, and sometimes have the vario beeping away as well.

Yes +1 for the Unisens E sensors, I've got 2, they are excellent (and work on many other radios not just M Link). I've also made some arduino based varios too.

Keep you eye for an update, the Profi has just had a further update which has added Multiplexs Safe-Link which allows you to lock a Rx to specific model memories and they've advised that this is coming to the Cockpit Sx.

Keep you eye for an update, the Profi has just had a further update which has added Multiplexs Safe-Link which allows you to lock a Rx to specific model memories and they've advised that this is coming to the Cockpit Sx.

Ooh, I like the sound of that, something else to stop me being an idiot!

'...allows you to lock a Rx to specific model memories...'

I'm going to show my ignorance and ask wazzat then?

Also where do you find Safe Link on the updated Profi?

Also, how do you find out what the latest TX upgrade does? I can't find an explanation anywhere.

Told you I was ignorant. wink

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 28/03/2017 18:45:05

I'm subscribed to the Multiplex newsletters, but you can also find news here https://www.multiplex-rc.de/aktuelles/news.html and there are also some facebook pages too, and the Multiplex technical forum, some of these are in German but google chrome does a good job of translating these.

Safe link is settings menu, just underneath binding. Safe link i like a version of Model Match where if you select the wrong model it won't link up, the difference is that there are only 50 safe link slots so you can have a RX linked to multiple model memories, Multiplex have said they have provided this as they know some modellers like to have different set ups on a single model and his saves having to rebind each time they use a different set up.

Information on various updates is added to the manuals section in the Multiplex launcher program, but as is usual he manual updates do lag the actual firmware by a few days.

• 1 month later...