Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9

Former Member

Posted by Doc Marten on 08/07/2020 16:30:21:

No, I just find you opinionated, abrupt, rude, condescending and quick to offer advice which is usually questionable, I thought that was quite clear, didn't you?

Edited By Doc Marten on 08/07/2020 16:32:35

Whatever.

But I fail to see why accidentally posting the same post twice, as mentioned by Andy Palmer and  which mention  obviously 'triggered' you  invalidates my post.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 08/07/2020 18:35:29

• 2 weeks later...

and going all soft and sticky in a couple of years no matter how much care you take of it.

Richard,

There is a very simple and effective solution for the rubbery-sticky-soft plastic coating. Isopropyl Alcohol, the one being used for cleaning electronic equipment. Surprisingly simple and effective. Just wet a piece of clean rag (flannel is good) and rub the rubbery coating off. I cleaned one of the remotes like that. Unless this is a different type of yucky plastic...

Posted by Andrew Klos on 22/07/2020 23:59:53:

and going all soft and sticky in a couple of years no matter how much care you take of it.

Richard,

There is a very simple and effective solution for the rubbery-sticky-soft plastic coating. Isopropyl Alcohol, the one being used for cleaning electronic equipment. Surprisingly simple and effective. Just wet a piece of clean rag (flannel is good) and rub the rubbery coating off. I cleaned one of the remotes like that. Unless this is a different type of yucky plastic...

Andrew,

Thank you very much for that, I shall try it on my black 'old shape' Cockpit.

Multiplex must have eventually realised there was a problem and I recently purchased a new black Royal (Evo) SX to use as a spare for my older silver one. With luck they may have changed the finish specification but possibly they have not.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am a beginner and I am searching for my first transmitter. The Multiplex Cockpit SX9 is among the ones I like the most. I would like to ask you three questions.

1. Would you recommend it to a beginner?

2. Being familiar with computer programming, I considered buying an Open-TX based transmitter, because apparently they have a higher performance/price ratio. Should I realise that I don't like RC flying after all, I would probably waste less money. I have two concerns, though. The first is that to fully exploit their potential, I fear I should spend a significant number of hours programming, and I would rather spend more time learning to fly than sitting at a keyboard. The second one is about the possibility that some kind of malfunction might occur in flight due to wrong patches, or wrong modifications by me. That said, the question is, again, would you recommend such devices to a beginner?

3. Finally, how good an investment is a Multiplex transmitter now, in terms of support and value over time?

Posted by Stefano Lodi on 01/10/2020 18:56:43:

Hello, I am a beginner and I am searching for my first transmitter. The Multiplex Cockpit SX9 is among the ones I like the most. I would like to ask you three questions.

2. Being familiar with computer programming, I considered buying an Open-TX based transmitter, because apparently they have a higher performance/price ratio. Should I realise that I don't like RC flying after all, I would probably waste less money. I have two concerns, though. The first is that to fully exploit their potential, I fear I should spend a significant number of hours programming, and I would rather spend more time learning to fly than sitting at a keyboard. The second one is about the possibility that some kind of malfunction might occur in flight due to wrong patches, or wrong modifications by me. That said, the question is, again, would you recommend such devices to a beginner?

3. Finally, how good an investment is a Multiplex transmitter now, in terms of support and value over time?

I have a Cockpit SX9 and I bought it a couple of years ago when I got back into the hobby. It has performed faultlessly, has all the features I am ever likely to want. I fly full house gliders, sport aerobatic and funfly planes.

It is very easy to programme and takes next to no time to set up a new model.

However, the receivers are quite expensive and the supply is variable at the moment so I would check this out before you commit. Only MPX rx's can be used with it.

Because of this, I didn't want to put £35 + receivers into Lidl rc conversions so I bought a secondhand RadioLink AT10 which can use cheaper rx's.

At the slope today a chap was flying a Pike all moulded glider and it was being guided superbly by a RadioMaster TX16. The pilot said it was very easy to programme and has a multi-protocol module so could be used with most receivers. It's much cheaper than a Cockpit SX9.

It depends what models you will be flying whether it will be worth the expense of MPX receivers. Personally I love my cockpit SX9 and have complete faith in it and wouldn't want to trust my £300 glider to a cheapo receiver but, as I've said, I wouldn't want to put a 7ch DR rx in a Lidl glider.

Stefano, I am a long time MPX user (Cockpit Sx 35 MHz, Royal Pro and Profi), friend has a Cockpit Sx9, it is very easy to program and I have never need to refer to the manual or you tube videos and it's very easy to make adjustments at the field. The telemetry functions are very easy to use too. But receivers are expensive and there are no cheap compatibles around.

A few of my friends also use Frsky with Open Tx, and these work great too. The only issue some of them have is that they find it takes more time to program and also don't like making any adjustments to the programming at the field so usually go home to make any changes. Ironically being a Royal Pro/Profi user I can sometimes help, but do admit that some of the Open Tx menus are not intuitive.

I do agree with Geoff, I'd never put a 7ch DR rx in a Lidl glider but I would happily use one of the 5ch lights which are quite a reasonable price.

But if you are just dipping a toe in the water then have a look at what your local club uses, that way you'll not only get help with setup etc but possibility of buddy boxing, which a much less expensive way of learning to pilot a RC flight.

Multiplex make excellent kit (I used their TXs for 15+ years), but I couldn't recommend a beginner starts with them at this point. This is because I don't have complete confidence they will l continue in the market in the long term. Yes the M-Link protocol itself and receivers are now likely to be made in the long term given the emergence of the top end megabucks M-Link Powerbox Core, but will there ever be another Mpx branded TX for the rest of us? The Profi was a flop and with seemingly no intention to distribute in the US it seems doubtful there is enough space in the market for them; Frsky and other OpenTX transmitters are eating their share in the low/mid range and Jeti pushed the disappointing Profi out of existence at the top.

Re: OpenTX, given your background you are unlikely to have issues, particularly if you have used object oriented programming languages in the past. The people who struggle with it tend to be those who come from a none object oriented "canned mixer" system like JR, Futaba or Spektrum - it's much harder to "unlearn" one of those approaches than it is to start from fresh as you will be doing. Yes it has huge functionality and can be very complex if you want it to be, but equally you can setup simple models with the wizard in a few mins too. Despite what you may read thee is actually no real need to update OpenTX unless you really want the very lates bleeding edge functions - I went years before I updated mine. You just need to understand the basic flow, start with simple models and you'll very soon have all the understanding you need. This video may help...

PS - OpenTX was actually inspired by and takes most of it's concepts from Multiplex OS's from the 90s, so you are actually choosing between two systems with a very similar approach, though any OpenTX set has a lot more functionality layered on top than a current Cockpit.

Edited By MattyB on 02/10/2020 09:14:36

Posted by Geoff Copping on 01/10/2020 22:39:39:

I have a Cockpit SX9 and I bought it a couple of years ago when I got back into the hobby. It has performed faultlessly, has all the features I am ever likely to want. I fly full house gliders, sport aerobatic and funfly planes.

It is very easy to programme and takes next to no time to set up a new model.

However, the receivers are quite expensive and the supply is variable at the moment so I would check this out before you commit. Only MPX rx's can be used with it.

Because of this, I didn't want to put £35 + receivers into Lidl rc conversions so I bought a secondhand RadioLink AT10 which can use cheaper rx's.

At the slope today a chap was flying a Pike all moulded glider and it was being guided superbly by a RadioMaster TX16. The pilot said it was very easy to programme and has a multi-protocol module so could be used with most receivers. It's much cheaper than a Cockpit SX9.

It depends what models you will be flying whether it will be worth the expense of MPX receivers. Personally I love my cockpit SX9 and have complete faith in it and wouldn't want to trust my £300 glider to a cheapo receiver but, as I've said, I wouldn't want to put a 7ch DR rx in a Lidl glider.

My (very) long term goal is to fly a Freewing P-38 or a EDF plane. Before that I would like to complete the assembly of an old Amigo II. Probably I am being too ambitious and should start with small propeller planes. I haven't really decided yet, also because due to Covid problems I can't get the license very soon.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 02/10/2020 08:04:35:

Stefano, I am a long time MPX user (Cockpit Sx 35 MHz, Royal Pro and Profi), friend has a Cockpit Sx9, it is very easy to program and I have never need to refer to the manual or you tube videos and it's very easy to make adjustments at the field. The telemetry functions are very easy to use too. But receivers are expensive and there are no cheap compatibles around.

A few of my friends also use Frsky with Open Tx, and these work great too. The only issue some of them have is that they find it takes more time to program and also don't like making any adjustments to the programming at the field so usually go home to make any changes. Ironically being a Royal Pro/Profi user I can sometimes help, but do admit that some of the Open Tx menus are not intuitive.

I do agree with Geoff, I'd never put a 7ch DR rx in a Lidl glider but I would happily use one of the 5ch lights which are quite a reasonable price.

But if you are just dipping a toe in the water then have a look at what your local club uses, that way you'll not only get help with setup etc but possibility of buddy boxing, which a much less expensive way of learning to pilot a RC flight.

That is a very good idea. I know that one of nearest fields has a school and it's using Jumper TXs. But I ignore what the trend is here among pilots.

Posted by MattyB on 02/10/2020 09:08:26:

Multiplex make excellent kit (I used their TXs for 15+ years), but I couldn't recommend a beginner starts with them at this point. This is because I don't have complete confidence they will l continue in the market in the long term. Yes the M-Link protocol itself and receivers are now likely to be made in the long term given the emergence of the top end megabucks M-Link Powerbox Core, but will there ever be another Mpx branded TX for the rest of us? The Profi was a flop and with seemingly no intention to distribute in the US it seems doubtful there is enough space in the market for them; Frsky and other OpenTX transmitters are eating their share in the low/mid range and Jeti pushed the disappointing Profi out of existence at the top.

Re: OpenTX, given your background you are unlikely to have issues, particularly if you have used object oriented programming languages in the past. The people who struggle with it tend to be those who come from a none object oriented "canned mixer" system like JR, Futaba or Spektrum - it's much harder to "unlearn" one of those approaches than it is to start from fresh as you will be doing. Yes it has huge functionality and can be very complex if you want it to be, but equally you can setup simple models with the wizard in a few mins too. Despite what you may read thee is actually no real need to update OpenTX unless you really want the very lates bleeding edge functions - I went years before I updated mine. You just need to understand the basic flow, start with simple models and you'll very soon have all the understanding you need. This video may help...

PS - OpenTX was actually inspired by and takes most of it's concepts from Multiplex OS's from the 90s, so you are actually choosing between two systems with a very similar approach, though any OpenTX set has a lot more functionality layered on top than a current Cockpit.

Edited By MattyB on 02/10/2020 09:14:36

Thanks for linking the video, it was very helpful. It seems a very linear and logical approach.

Yep, that's what I like about it - you don't have to learn a prescriptive way of doing things because that is the way the designer envisaged the system would be used, just break it down logically and you can always get the setup how you want. To be fair the Mpx Cockpit is not that dissimilar, it jut has fewer bells and whistles (logical switches, telemetry as inputs to mixers etc) than OpenTX.

• 5 months later...

Hi All

I have a MPX Royal 9 still on 35meg, which I want to use with a MPX Cockpit TX, linked by a buddy lead. The Royal TX will be the master TX and the Cockpit SX the student TX.  I have the manual for the Royal set but not the Cockpit.

When I use the trainer menu on the Royal it will link up to the Cockpit but somewhere along the line a wierd mix has appeared.  The Throttle/rudder stick works exactly as one would expect   with control being switched by the trainer switch, but the aileron/elevator functions are being mixed in the transfer so aileron control is moving the aileron AND elevator servo and vice versa. The only thing that I can think is that there is a delta mixer in the Cockpit set which is not being over ridden by the master set.

The master set is operating the model as it should

Does anyone have a manual for the Cockpit set available as a file so that I can look for clues? ------ or

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation that can put their finger on the source of the problem??

I've spent nearly three hours this afternoon trying to get it to play nicely but had to admit defeat for the time being.  I haven't found the Cockpit menu particularly intuitive.

As an aside, I have found a tupperware box with around 20 x 35meg receivers inside, 'all deep sixed' 10 years ago.  Most of them are MPX IPD 9 and 12 channel types which never missed a beat.  I also re discovered three Weatronic dual receivers with inbuilt gyro & gps.

I wouldn't use them anywhere but at our home field as frequency control has gone the way of the dinosaurs.  At our home field, (small club) I have no hesitation in returning my trust and putting them to use

Stu, I can send you a manual for the Cockpit Sx if you PM me your e-mail address.

It does sound like that the model has been selected as a delta, the easiest thing to do would be to create a new model, using the Easy template, that would eliminate any mixes. 

I an still using 35mhz on several models at the field, using a MPX 35 mhz Cockpit Sx, I use the wireless buddy stick to use my 2.4 GHz Royal Pro as the student Tx.

• 1 year later...

I’m looking to get a new Tx, I currently use a 2.4 Cockpit Sx (old style) but I find the aerial quite vulnerable and have replaced it twice now.

my concern with the New Cockpit Sx9 are the 2 side switches sticking out …which to me are just a matter of time before they get damaged…has anyone got any experience of this Tx and can confirm or deny my concerns.

As it looks like a genuine design flaw given there’s no tray to ‘protect’ them

Friend has got one, no issues to report. My Royal Pro (and another friends) also have them and they have been fine (but we do carry them in a case). While they look vulnerable, in practise they are fine and they are very useful, as are the side mounted buttons. 

The rear rollers are the thing I find strange to operate.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck