AS3X

David Soper

I am struggling to program my AR636 Rx, I kind of understand the principles of AS3X .. I can input defined corrections to counter act turbulance.

I think Head Gain will try n keep model on same heading, where as Rate Gain will just try and correct attitude of model?.

I have lead to connect Rx phone along with the App... I want to assign AS3X to a switch so I have option of having AS3X on or disabled. I am not sure how to do this.

Any help appreciated

You can set different gains for each of 3 flight modes. Zero = off. You can set the channel you want to use to change flight modes in the "flight mode switch" tab.

Rate gain tries to damps out a disturbance to the model. Heading gain tries to return the model the original attitude. Be careful using heading gain. Especially on rudder. It's more for holding extreme attitudes (knife edge, prop hang etc) Especially on rudder.

What Tx aare you using?

Its doing my head in now, model was working perfect before programming AS3X. I set it up by the book, now i cant get the Flaps to operate. Have tried everything.

Can i reset AR636 to a default setting ie prior to programming it?

I must be doing something wrong, but no idea what.

Posted by David Soper on 08/08/2016 13:29:05:

Its doing my head in now, model was working perfect before programming AS3X. I set it up by the book, now i cant get the Flaps to operate. Have tried everything.

Can i reset AR636 to a default setting ie prior to programming it?

I must be doing something wrong, but no idea what.

You must set wing type as "normal" on the Tx and set dual alieron on the Rx programming. Flaps will just pass through the Rx and not be effected by the gains. Now you have flight mode on one channel check which channel flap control is on. The video's in the link above are worth watching.

Is the RIOT XL Dual Al's? If not do i still set Rx to Dual? Thinking about it, it must be Dual as it has seperate Al connectors instead of a Y harness?

Edited By David Soper on 08/08/2016 19:35:24

Edited By David Soper on 08/08/2016 19:39:51

Edited By David Soper on 08/08/2016 19:42:17

The other thing i am struggling to get my head around, is what channel to set FMODE to

My RX has a GEAR CHANNEL currently used for Flaps And AUX1 which is used for Wing Tip Lights

On the App set up screen i can assign FM to Gear/Aux1/2/3 What Channel do I assign it to?

On my Tx i have Gear assigned to a 3 Pos switch (Flaps)

Aux1 can be used either for Glider release (In which i would have to assign that to a switch) or in my case its connected to Wing Tip lights so no need to assign it to anything... Does any of that make sence!

Use what ever channel you want. Just make sure it's set the same on the Tx and RX. You're going to have to lose the wing tip lights as you only have 6 channels. Are you using AX1 to switch the lights or just power them?  If it's just for power then you can transfer the lights to the batt socket once you are set up.  If you are switching the lights you will have to lose this function as you only have 6 channels.

You said you did not have a Y lead on the ailerons, with 6 channels and gear and Ax1 in use the old Rx must have had 2 Ail outputs from 1 channel.

It's best to set the FM channel and switch on the AS3X gains screen on the Tx.

Edited By Mr.B. on 08/08/2016 20:43:52

The mist is clearing i think... do i need to disconnect wing tip lead from Aux 1 as now that will be assigned to FM, or can it be left plugged in?

I just noticed that if i set wing tip type to Dual... on the Port asignment screen 1 Alieron is assigned to port 6 and other to port 2 (port 6 is Aux1?) This is so confusing

If the lights are only drawing power from the Rx they can be plugged any spare port, including the Batt port.

With Dual Aileron selected onthe RX one ail output wll be on the Aux 1 port. But the Aux 1 input channel can be used for FM.

DX6 and AR636 both have only 6 channels.

Your Riot XL has:

Servos - Rudder, Elevator, 2 x Aileron, 2 x Flaps, Tow release

Other channels - ESC, lights and Flight mode

That's 10 individual controls, so something has to go.

AR636 configurations allow either 2 aileron servo outputs, 1 flap output or 1 aileron, 2 flap outputs. Therefore a Y lead will have to be used for either flaps or ailerons. If the servos on the flaps and ailerons are "handed" a normal passive Y lead will operate the ailerons correctly but not the flaps (one will go down the other up).

That accounts for 3 channels, the remaining channels (3 receiver ports), the remaining channels have to be assigned to Rudder, Elevator and Throttle. That leaves a probl;em with no available channel for Flight mode on your transmitter.

This means that the flaps will have to use a Y lead, which may have to include a servo reverser to make the servos both go in the right direction. The you have a spare channel to assign to Flight mode. There is no battery port on the AR636, power is usually supplied via the ESC/throttle port.

One final tip, leave a short extension lead in the bind/program port so that you can easily connect the programming lead. This saves struggling to plug into the receiver and possibly dislodging it.

Hoep this helps.

Thanks Ian I seem to have wasted 3 days of my life trying to get this to work!

Have i made the wrong assumption that this would work with 6 channel Tx/Rx...

I thought it would work with Channel 1 Throttle/ 2 Alieron/ 3 Elevator/ 4 Rudder/ 5 Gear (Flaps) 6 Aux 1 (FM).

I just assumed i could go without lights and Release and it would work.

The Alierons do have a Y harness, so both servos work on Channel 3. And assumed both Flap servos work from

Channel 5.

I have put an Extention lead on Bind channel as Rx is mounted forward and unaccessable.

What if I chose not to use Flaps and instead use that spare channel for FM ?

Wish i had bought a DX7/8 now!, now i realise where the spare channels come in handy

Posted by David Soper on 09/08/2016 19:00:08:

I thought it would work with Channel 1 Throttle/ 2 Alieron/ 3 Elevator/ 4 Rudder/ 5 Gear (Flaps) 6 Aux 1 (FM).

I just assumed i could go without lights and Release and it would work.

The Alierons do have a Y harness, so both servos work on Channel 3. And assumed both Flap servos work from Channel 5.

That setup should work, all you need is a Y lead for the 2 flap servos, providing they work in the same direction. You can verify this by plugging them one at a time into port 5, if they work the same way an ordinary Y lead ill do, if they work in opposite directions then you need a Y lead with servo reverser.

Having seen a Riot XL flying last weekend at our club I'm sure that you could manage without the flaps until you can sort the leads out.

i cant program my AS3X receivers with my IPhone 6s and my laptop. I connect the cable, do everything it says i should do, just keeps saying no device connected. I can however program the receivers with my old third generation Ipad. tried to phone Horizon hobby but since they have closed down their UK operation you get no reply from e-mail or phone. i thought it might be a software problem, so i down loaded the latest software from the Spektrum web site which only came out in June this year and it still didn't work. My partner has an android phone and tablet would these work better

Can anyone help, has anyone had similar problems to me

David, the sequence of connection is critical. With a PC, first plug the USB cable into the laptop/pc, then plug the cable into the receiver, then power on the receiver. Any other order it won't work. You should see confirmation in the top right corner of the Spektrum programmer screen as you make each connection.

This different to the iPhone/Android sequence, this requires the lead plugging into the receiver first, then power the receiver, then connect to the phone/tablet headphone socket.

Good Luck

Posted by Ian Reid-Jones on 10/08/2016 15:47:37:

David, the sequence of connection is critical. With a PC, first plug the USB cable into the laptop/pc, then plug the cable into the receiver, then power on the receiver. Any other order it won't work. You should see confirmation in the top right corner of the Spektrum programmer screen as you make each connection.

This different to the iPhone/Android sequence, this requires the lead plugging into the receiver first, then power the receiver, then connect to the phone/tablet headphone socket.

Good Luck

Ill try when i get home from work, I'm not very hopefull as it connects to my IPad first time every time.

Posted by Mystar on 10/08/2016 16:02:07:
Posted by Ian Reid-Jones on 10/08/2016 15:47:37:

Good Luck

Ill try when i get home from work, I'm not very hopefully as it connects to my IPad first time every time.

As i thought, didn't workangry......... a while ago when i mentioned this to one of our club members he suggested that it could be the cable that s to fault. he had heard that the early cables had some reported problems. and mine is one of the early ones and was free with my AR636. im scratching my head here.