How far are you prepared to travel to go flying?

ChrisB

I belong to two clubs one site is 8 miles away, the other is 12 miles. I have been to a fly-in near Swinderby a couple of times, about 90 miles.

My nearest slope site (very occasionally) is 1/4 mile and the next one about 10 miles.

The furthest I have gone to fly is the R.C. Hotel in Corfu, about 2000 miles.

Posted by Percy Verance on 24/08/2016 06:59:12:

Hi Martin

My club's proposed new site for electric only flying is literally just a few hundred yards from a small private private housing development. Try flying any thing i.c. there and I'd imagine you'd be hounded off in a couple of days. In theory at least, flying electric only may well be the only way the club can get away with flying on this particular site.........

It really depends on the individuals involved. The site where I used to fly 12th scale combat had a very nice development of "executive" houses bordering it, although the strip was a couple of hundred yards from them. As far as I'm aware, the club that flew there normally, operating models of all shapes and sizes, had good relations with all of the householders. I don't know whether they operated noise testing for their own models but 7 two stroke combat models in the air at a time (although by the end of the bouts there were often less) wasn't the quietest of operations!

Mind you, in terms of perceived noise nuisance, a well silenced and sensibly propped 4 stroke can compare very well with some of the noisier electric models. The noisiest model (by a country mile) flown at our site is electric powered - although it only runs its motor for < 2 second bursts (F5b) - rather makes a mockery of the term "silent flight".

Good luck with the new site!