MSE Cheap Energy Club

Dai Fledermaus

For anyone who is not aware of this scheme MSE gather together many thousands of people interested in a possible switch of Energy suppliers. They then approach a number of companies and ask them to come up with a cheap tariff which is NOT available to normal customers. It's called a collective switch. LINK

You need to register your email address and provide details of your present tariff/consumption.

We signed up when it first started and it has saved us a lot of money in the last few years.

Good call, I would strongly recommend this as well.

I too joined the MSE collective when it started and have used it ever since. I've not come across any better collectives, savings for me are around £400 per year compared to standard dual fuel tariffs. I pay about £950 pa against £1350 pa on standard tariffs.

It's no hassle, takes about 5-10 mins to switch, why wouldn't you do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Could one of you chaps give an indication please, as to what you're being charged by your new supplier i.e. standing charge, and unit rates for 'leccy & gas?

I've just changed from British Gas to Sainsbury Energy (actually the same company) and find that my unit prices are now about a third less than before and my monthly dual fuel payment has reduced from £130 to £96.

I've made the switch from EOn to British Gas. My tariffs are:

Electricity:- 8.79 per KWh, 21.81p per day Standing Charge

Gas:- 2.54p per KWh, 21.81p per day Standing Charge

£15 discount for dual fuel, payment by monthly direct debit, £20 per fuel early exit fees.

Hope this helps

Edited By Ian Reid-Jones on 18/09/2016 10:53:16

Thanks for that, very interesting. You have a good deal from BG, better that what I've got from Sainsbury Energy. I'm still paying less with SE than what I was with BG, but if BG can give you the deal that you have coming from EON, why don't they offer the same deal to existing customers and retain them.?

Yes, I do know the answer and it goes for car insurance, home insurance, internet, TV etc etc................

My wife's Green Flag breakdown cover almost doubled this year to £55 so we got the same cover from the RAC for £29.............Green Flag not interested in retaining her custom (best they could do was £50) despite no call-outs, so they lose our business this time. I guess the RAC will do the same next year, so we'll look for the best new customer deal again...........seems mad that we have to play this game of going around in circles, whether with energy or anything else.

Our current BG tariff ends in Dec 2016. We are paying £72/month for Gas and Electricity for a 3 bed semi built in 1998.

Just switched via MSE Energy Saving Club to BG Collective Fix ending Oct 2017. Tariff:-

Gas........2.699 p/kw. Standing Charge 21.809p/day

Elec.......9.503p/kw Standing Charge 21.809p/day

Our monthly direct debit will go down to £69/month, and we'll get a £30 cashback after 3 months.

Difficult to compare but my Sainsbury (British Gas) tariff (not via a collective) is 2.56 / 8.16 but with standing charges of 26.01p per day fixed to next May - so cheaper per unit but @ 9p a day more for standing charges. This was much better than my previous collective deal with OVO when it came up for renewal.

Whatever, the benefits of comparing/switching are very tangible.

One tip I'd like to pass on. British Gas, and I suspect other companies do the same, have a meter reading year which runs from September to August. I don't know why, I suspect it's historical.

This means that if you swap suppliers towards the end of the year, and you pay by monthly direct debit, by the time you get your March statement you should be in arrears. If your not, you are paying too much. At that point BG will try to increase your DD on the basis that any arrears must be cleared by the end of August - the end of their meter reading year.. Don't let them do it. They tried it with me, I argued the point and finally they agree to keep my DD as it was and to pay off any arrears in when I received the August statement.

Far from arrears, I just had an £18.57 refund from them.