Show Us Your 3D Prints

Ian Jones

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my latest 3D printed pilot, Baron Otto Von Schnorkel. in my 25 year old Magnatilla which I've been restoring to take part in float plane events. He's on Thingiverse if you want the files.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2845436

Otto painted

Ottos unpainted

Hi Bob.

Initially by accident, I spiralise / vase printed one of these pilots. I soon realised what was going on but let it finish just to see how it turned out and despite the obvious holes surprisingly usable.

dscf1742.jpg

With a little lightweight filler, your Manfred turned out very good and only 5g including the balsa base, also at 1/6 scale. Nev.

dscf1770.jpg

Edited By Nev on 22/04/2018 19:51:07

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My second attempt at printing a complete 9 cylinder radial with something like scale thickness cooling fins.finefin

It is 125 mm overall diameter and weighs 50 g.

The crankcase is completely empty with a 46 mm diameter internal clearance which should be big enough to house an electric motor capable of swinging a scale prop.

• 1 year later...

cowl.jpgpuller.jpgI bought a printer a couple of months ago and have made several household items with it. They have got to be quite cheap.

I made some tools for my modeling, a nice sanding block that uses that 19mm sandpaper on a roll (awaiting a long threaded rod to arrive in the post), a gear puller, which, of course would be useless for anything stuck fast (but is absolutely great for pulling my folding prop spinners off motors) and several thin cowls for my gliders where a replacement motor is longer than the original or to clean up the nose.

All fun learning, I foresee all my servo trays and cowls being made like this. Great for gadgets. As I write, the printer is printing a router jig system that I can use with my Dremel to easily and quickly cut simple holes in foam wings to fit a range of servos.

Wouldn't it be good if we could link or upload our designs here?... searching on other websites seems to be a hit and miss exercise..

sanding.jpg

Edited By David Hall 9 on 31/01/2020 17:38:51

Edited By David Hall 9 on 31/01/2020 17:40:43

• 1 month later...

It will never fly, but this is what has been keeping my from my spit!

I built a home brew mendelmax alike printer, great fun but I kept looking up at my 3 part built planes hanging above me in the workshop.

my new friend kept me busy, I wanted to up production so designed my own printer that I could print, then printed that, so now have two printers.bf1ce6b2-3719-49e2-b84e-a945a834b3d7.jpeg

whilst looking at servos for my 3D printed robot, I remembered my Spitfire - Now my printers will be printing Spitfire cannons and arials and air scoops - the fun never ends!!