Show Us Your 3D Prints

Ian Jones

Infectious pastime is it not! I am curious as to why you used printed A frame components instead of M8 threaded bar that you used for the cross members, I would have thought the bar would be stiffer than the plastic. I know there are designs out there for the plastics of the Mendel printer, because I built one, and if self design was the main motivator then couldn't adaptation of the existing parts, or creation of new designs have satisfied that inventive urge?

Here's mine..used yesterday to make a new lever for my Saitek throttle quadrant that I accidentally snapped off with my chair.....again!

img_20200403_125148.jpg

img_20200403_130158.jpg

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 03/04/2020 12:05:22

To be honest I didn’t start out with printing it in mind, I was going to use 20x20 T slot frame again, but everywhere I looked the frame would have cost a fortune.

it looked like buying a Prusa or some such would be cheaper than building it myself, and that goes against the grain.

As usual I looked around my workshop, I didn’t have enough threaded rod to hand (yes I could have bought some!), but I recently bought some reels of filament..........

there you go, would have been far less bother to use threaded rod, but I had started down the printed frame road🤡

now it’s done and up and running I am quite pleased with it, though I haven’t used it for a few weeks now since I got the RC bug again.

Furlough has had its advantages - all 3 printers here have been flat out for me and customers.

1/4 scale seats and switch panels for a CT-114

20200331_205352.jpg

Lots of ordnance for my Vietnam veteran :

20200401_210734.jpg

FRSky rx and aerial mounts :

20200403_142059.jpg

A whole bunch of 10th scale Spitfire parts - exhaust stubs, control columns, radios, gun sights, throttle quadrants, rear view mirrors.

20200403_142810.jpg

I needed to test a small (9.5 g) out runner (5x3 prop) and could not find my home made wooden test stand but in any case the motor is so small none of the pre drilled holes would have been usable.

So I designed & printed one. smile o

Testmount

Basically hollow boxes with 8% infill. The most complex bit was creating the top plate to match the motor mounting holes. It includes 3 small holes that allows the screws to 'self tap' into the plastic.

It used 2.75 m of filament and took 48 minutes to print.

Not very sophisticated but with the current 'lock down' it seemed a reasonable (and cheap) way to pass the time.wink 2

On a 3s it confirmed the motor/prop combination would produce a more than adequate thrust for the intended application.

I have designed and printed some servo covers / holders in a couple of sizes. They were designed in TinkerCAD which I find is quite reasonable for designing basic components like these. I did show these on the TN 78" Vulcan build thread, but here they are again for those that have not seen that thread. Rudder and elevon servos.

dsc08693.jpg

dsc08691.jpg

dsc08696.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My most complex print so far. A 'spare' ASh-62 and bulkhead mount for my AN 2.Xash-62

It follows my usual 'lots of bits glued together' approach in fact there are 73 individual pieces just to make up the 9 cylinder radial. It is also self coloured, the parts being printed in silver or black filament as appropriate.

Intended to replace the slightly simpler version current installed in the AN 2 if and when it got damaged but so far that hasn't happened.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 29/04/2020 00:10:14:

My most complex print so far. A 'spare' ASh-62 and bulkhead mount for my AN 2.Xash-62

It follows my usual 'lots of bits glued together' approach in fact there are 73 individual pieces just to make up the 9 cylinder radial. It is also self coloured, the parts being printed in silver or black filament as appropriate.

Intended to replace the slightly simpler version current installed in the AN 2 if and when it got damaged but so far that hasn't happene

thats a fair bit of crafting there Simon, very nice too  .. how long in total print time did you commit to it ?

I'm also working on an exact copy of the Szekely SR3, so much time spent converting images into drawings into parts.. I can't seem to be able to get any good 3 views or technical drawingsof it to work from.

Using Lockdown to help develop a better set of skills in both 3d software and 2d cad..  I'm enjoying working in virtual (3d and 2d) as I dont have an infinite supply of modelling materials. 

Edited By Pete Crosby on 29/04/2020 11:16:40

• 2 months later...

I wanted to be able to film the maiden flight of my LA-7 and didn't want to have to rely on others to do it for me. Whilst I have cameras I haven't got an action cam (Go-Pro etc) so thought I'd try out my Mobius 2. Mounting it on my cap meant that it was pointing down so I made this clip which, on trialling it in the garden seems to work OK. Quite what it will be like in the field is anyone's guess!

fullsizeoutput_159b.jpeg

Last year I converted my 16 years old Tutor 40 to VTOL for it's final and unplanned landing surprisecrying 2. That shortened it considerably and what could be saved was consigned to the spares store.

I always like to have a trainer to play with so sought a replacement, which courtesy of a seller on Ebay I now have. Though it's hardly been flown it did have it's noseleg "locked off", which is an absolute pain. The problem with 3D printing the required steering arm and mount was that it would need to be highly durable so the usual PLA was not even worth considering at all. ABS would be better but nylon better still.

Well I bit the bullet, did some research and to my surprise my first nylon printed failed due to a filament snag and then success came at the second attempt. This is going to be a game changer for my future modelling needs.

So here is the completed assembly:

img_20200615_142943a.jpg

img_20200618_194020a.jpg

The was also an issue with the push rods, one of them rattling against it's nearest former so decided to convert to snakes (as I did with the original). This time using ABS I made some push rod/snake exit covers.

img20200703235430a.jpg

img20200704181123a.jpg