Hawker Hunter

Scott Edwards 2

Many thanks to Matt Jones because I ripped off his Pilots Seat design from his Vixen

Having had a go with several different paints over the past few years, I am now a complete convert to WarbirdColours from Fighteraces. Here's why:

1) It's water based, so easy cleanup, and minimal odour and spray fumes.

2) It covers really well and dries quickly

3) It has a nice natural satin sheen, it's tough and a quick fine sanding leaves a really nice surface.

4) The colour range is good, and supposedly accurate (even though I darkened it 'cos I like it darker)

5) It goes on beautifully, and is remarkably forgiving. This means that a Gorilla like me can slap it on like Jordans lippy and it still levels off nicely and doesn't run !

6) The service and advice from the guys at Fighteraces is brilliant.

Other points:

It's pigment is thick, so needs a lot of stirring. In long standing tins, the pigment forms a golf ball in the bottom of the tin like the Devils own bogey.

I couldn't get it to go through my 0.5mm Airbrush (other airbrushes may vary) So I spent £18 on a spraygun from Screwfix with a 0.8mm nozzle. This works great, but you need a big old compressor to drive it, a 3 Litre tank airbrush compressor won't cut it.

Overall - highly recommended, I prefer it to Flair Spectrum, Humbrol Enamels, and anything from Halfords

Scott - one word- fantastic! Your Hunter is really coming alive in the camo colour scheme - also the drop tanks, shell case pods and pilot details really make her stand out. Thanks for sharing the info on paints also. Can't wait to see her in the air in 2017!

Edited By Harry Twist on 09/12/2016 18:09:01

The best looking jet ever and Scott's model looks great too. In the 60/70's they were overhead all the time,aircraft from the NAVY in the 60's and ones from RAF second tactical weapons squadron in the 70's.

By the middle/late 70's some of these aircraft were getting a bit long in the tooth and several crashed in the county and other parts of Wales [ no fatal ones I recall ] Myself and friends would spend time at the airfield fence next to the main runway and would on more than one occasion witness an incident like aircraft landing on just two wheels or brakes failing and running into crash barrier. Airmen we knew told us such aircraft were soon repaired and back in service.

One day I was working in a shed on my farm when there were two loud bangs,I ran outside to see a Hunter go vertically into the sea a mile away with the biggest splash ever. The two crew were drifting down on their chutes.I raced down to the coast and arrived just in time to help the student pilot [ on his first trip in a hunter ] who was having trouble with his chute and was in danger of being dragged over the cliff by the wind. The instructor went into the sea but was soon in his dingy and before long the Whirlwind came and picked him up.

The cockpit canopy [ still have a piece of perspex from it ] and students ejector seat fell in a field along with other bits and pieces, one item I found was the aircraft flight manual that was still open engine relight procedure. They had glided some ten miles before banging out having had no luck with the engine starting again.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Thank you all for your kind comments ! I'm pleased to say its now flown ! We were blessed with 40mph winds at the August PSSA Meeting last weekend up the Orme. Borderline too windy for it, but it had to be done ...

It went surprisingly well ! CG and all throws seem fine, only one flight as I stripped a servo but all good !

Photos by the insanely talented and legendary Phil Cooke himself:

editimg_0641.jpg

editimg_0606.jpg

editimg_0579.jpg

edithunter1forum.jpg

• 2 years later...

I've just bought a PSS Hunter off the BMFA site and can't wait to get it in the air. It's all there including flight battery in the nose but no indication of where the C of G should be. When I "balance" it it seems way back, about 50% from the leading edge. I don't want to wreck it first time out so the question is. Does this c of g seem ok? if not where should I balance the mode,?. frown

Posted by Scott Edwards 2 on 31/10/2016 16:20:03:

And this is where it is now ! Pretty much ready to fill the multiple dings and start covering. Tissue and varnish because I'm a cheapskate.

The weight so far is 1740g, that's 3lb 14oz in Caveman. I'm hoping for a final weight of well under 3Kg, but noseweight with these things is usually an unpleasant surprise !

7.jpg

8.jpg

Scott you mentioned you covered it in tissue and varnish, I have not heard of this, can you please explain a bit more about this as I would like to try this idea. Can you use any type of tissue and can you use acrylic varnish. By the way I have a love for the Hunter and yours is a very beautiful model well done.. I was killed by a hunter! When I was in the RAF we had an exercise our Canberra were the bombers the Hunters that were stationed elsewhere were the enemy. I was out on the airfield during an alert picking up 2 injured pilots when 2 Hunters strafed the airfield and apparently I was killed trying to save them. I shall never forget that sight of them going over me low level.