Bwlchfest 2017 - A Fly for Fun slope soaring event in S Wales

Sunday is looking like a fine flying day with light cloud and a good south westerly blowing.

Meet at the ice cream slope lay-by before 10am ready to go through the gate. Late comers will need to park in the lay-by or on the grassy area opposite and then walk up the gravel track to the right of the snack van.

I will leave a poster with the man in the snack van.

See you there.

Hi Steve, just to say thanks for organizing the Bwlchfest. Managed to fly Sunday morning in probably the highest wind speed I've ever experienced.

The afternoon had me grounded with gusts of 50mph+, but I enjoyed watching the faster models fly, particularly the PSS, and seeing the big F-104 Starfighter carve around the sky, and then hover to a landing topped the day off.smiley

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 12/06/2017 13:28:52

Hi Andy, I must admit your F-104 did impress me, I know the lift was good, but to perform like that on those small wings was remarkable.

Was the model scratch built, and could you tell me the wing loading.

I did a bit of PSS some 25yrs ago ( see my avatar ) and I have an L--39 in the attic that a clubmate gave me. The model wasn't successful as a DF, and pushed a retract through the wing on its second landing

The damage could be repaired, although the wing section is a rather thickish biconvex, and it feels heavy I've often wondered if it would go off the slope.

l 39.jpg

Ron

Ron,

I'm afraid the F104 came to me through some "wallet-modelling", bought from the slope Guru / RCM&E columnist Simon Cocker. He had never flown it, and had bought it from a chap who had a pulse jet in it before that! I believe the aircraft has only ever flown off the slope, which is nice news for us PSS addicts. I maidened it in it's original Italian air force colours, then earlier this year finished off the new Luftwaffe scheme you saw at the weekend.

The construction is a foam / veneered wing, and a very light, thin, glass-fibre fuselage. I'd say the wing loading is around the low 30 mark, but I've not done the calc. Weight is somewhere between 4 and 5 pounds.

The L39 looks nice!