Seagull Hurricane

Steveflys

Any suggestions as to where I might buy a 1:6 scale instrument panel to replace the Seagull stuck on digital model would be appreciated. It would be nice to improve the cockpit a bit to add some touch of scale. I’m not going to make a panel myself though as I’m afraid I’m too time limited. The scale of this plane is roughly 1:6 with its 82 inch span.

Thanks Jon . Good tip . Luckily my garage is dry but I will coat  it anyway as condensation can easily happen when transporting or at the field. About to do summer hols so will get it ordered when we return. That Mick Reeves site has some great looking planes! Happy Flying 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/08/2018 06:21:02

• 1 month later...

It’s coming on well now. I just cut the cowl today this left me with a rather wide gap behind the spinner about 1/8” but I will eliminate that with some balsa blended into the cowl. I can’t put the pitot further back as it’s already close to the tank. I did use the recommended backplate to firewall gap but that was too much. I should have measured rather than use instructions. Anyway it’s looking nice now. I improved the cockpit with a Mick Reeves pilot and some of his instrument panel to replace the standard Seagull Vauxhall Chevette digital panel and “toytown” pilot. Here she is now . 3e9957df-ee18-41c6-b374-681ae9c4f670.jpeg

Looking good Tim, soon be in the air! What’s your view on the overall quality? I’ve recently ‘built’ a Seagull Radial Rocket, something I approached with trepidation after my P40 experiences, but was pleasantly surprised with its build quality. Even with mods for Laser 100 (fitted sidewinder style) which included having to mount servos in tail to balance the ‘lump’, it only took 3 days and is a real hoot to fly!

Really does look nice but i see what you meant on the phone about the cowling. If the fit is not ideal you might be able to tweak it by heating the cowl with a heat gun to soften the resin and coax it in to better shape. that said, if you cant see it on a banked flypast then its probably not important anyway. Perhaps just hit it with something to make sure it and the rest of the model are the same finish as that it likely to be the main reason it looks different.

In any case it looks great and im looking forward to seeing it in the air. Keep me informed about the maiden. Do you have any idea how the c/g and overall weight are shaping up?

Hi Ron good to hear from you and hope all is well with you. The Seagull models I have built ( this and the p47 have been excellent in quality overall. The P 47 was superb and I didn’t need to do very much at all to improve it. All the pushrods were correct length and clevises ok. I think the pilot was ok too. I broke a wing on it a couple of months ago but bought a new kit to use as spares. It’s a real keeper! And flies very well. The Hurricane is slightly more “budget “ in my view as it has things like the front cowl mating with the wing leading edge rather than faired in using balsa . The supplied pilot and instrument panel were comedy items 😊 . Mick Reeves pilot and instrument panel improved it a lot! The wing light covers are also slightly cheapo looking and could be done better. The front of cowl left a 1/8” gap behind spinner but I’m filling using a balsa disk painted black which seems similar to one on full size plane. I always use fibreglass and epoxy and “go to town” reinforcing nose sections so I rarely need to use much weight and don’t have the worry of invisible glue free joints as on your p40. Hopefully this should fly ok. I will need to make a balancing cradle to get c of g right.

Cheers Jon. I think I will probably just matt coat the cowl and fuselage like on my Spitfire. Once it’s a bit flatter the join lines should diminish a bit. Re balance I will be looking soon but will get cowl done first with a bit of internal reinforcement glassing and need to paint and finish the balsa spacer . I will be putting batteries and switches in during balancing

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/09/2018 09:13:02

As I said, I have been pleasantly surprised by the good build quality of the Radial Rocket and the only strengthening I have done was to copy your idea of epoxy to the rear of the bulkhead. Even the glue joints appear to be overglued if anything! Here are a couple of shots to emphasise what I mean:

Inside1.jpg

Inside2.jpg

Servo_mount1.jpg

Looking good Tim. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your Mick Reeves instrument panel if you get a chance. Mine is almost ready to maiden. If we get a few nice calm days in September I reckon it'll be done! I did some mods to mine, like reducing the height of the canopy and flairing wing roots to meet the cowling. I'll add some pictures to show mine as it currently stands. Still need a better warbird spinner to replace the rubbish seagull one. Engine is a Roto 35vi which is now run in and ready for flight....just wish I could change the colour of the head!!! Any ideas anyone, I'm thinking the safest option is to have it reanodised in silver? Ron, I had the seagull radial rocket and it was lovely to fly but a bit of a sod to land on longish grass as it kept nosing over. I replaced my landing gear as once the standard wire bends it's hard to stop it bending back on a hard landing...unless of course you fly off tarmac. Great little plane though and the flaps slow it down lovely. Now....how to add photos to this thread, any advice as can't see an attachment link!?

Edited By neil martin 1 on 23/09/2018 11:54:50

@Neil - slightly off the topic of this thread but in answer to your question, I think they must have changed the landing gear design at some point but I agree that if it does bend then that will be a weak point for future. Having said that, if the landing is so hard to bend the gear then I suspect that there will be a lot more damage than just bent gear! I fly off tarmac or grass but the RR really looks good coming down onto the grass (it also acts as a brake!). I’ve only flown it 7 times but haven’t had a nose over (yet!).

49c069b4-e16d-4da9-9110-e5cce9199bea.jpegLooks great Neil . I can see what you mean by the flairing of Wing roots. Did you add the oil cooler? It seems quite big and plastic and might easily break . I’m wondering whether to miss it out as it will certainly be vulnerable. I have spent today getting the cowl sorted . I cut out the exhaust exits to aid ventilation and did needle valve etc. I’m not sure how much reinforcement I will do with glassed epoxy in the cowl as the vulnerable bit can’t be reinforced as it needs to fit closely on the wing . Next I might fit the wheel covers . I will probably use large zip ties rather than the steel hose clamps in the kit. Here is my cowl cutout out to help those contemplating the same kit .

Like the cockpit, the dials look so much better than I expected.

I have epoxied the oil cooler in place, it is pretty sturdy on there and can only see if being damaged if the gear doesn't come down and a belly land is required. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen!

I also used large zip ties to secure the gear doors, although they seem to twist and I expect they will turn when the wind gets to them in flight. Need to lock their position somehow, but not thought of that solution yet.