Horizon Hobbies

I have a DX6e Spektrum Lithium battery upgrade discharge fault sad.

Bit of a bummer, had Futaba for years no problems of any kind.smileyyes.

Is it safe to fly or am I at risk of battery failure, not keen on sending the Tx back for repair or is it safe if I change it back to dry cells ????.

Not impressed disgust

I've got two DX6s, one is early, several years old and the other three years old. Originally I was nervous about dry batteries, but they last such a long time that in the end, I couldn't be bothered to convert them. The consumption rate must be very low. My DX7 is rechargeable. It must be one of the first, also several years old. I keep thinking I should buy something more recent, but it still works perfectly so have never bothered.

A student of mine bought a Dx9? From SMC.I was trimming out the elevator on the maiden flight of his new Wot trainer. All of a sudden the elevator trim took off on its own and I was unable to stop it. All the way up, all the way down, all the the way up. Well, you get the picture. Needless to say that was the end of the flight. Plane brought down safely once the "auto" trim had stopped.

The Tx was taken into SMC when the pupil was on holiday visiting relatives. SMC him they were aware of such a fault and that they had new trim switches in stock.

Anyone else had this happen?

My man does model boating as well...... All they have to do is fetch a long pole and a dingy.

He bought a Futaba for flying. Just saying....not picking fault or anything blush. The lads at Davidstow Club almost exclusively use Spektrum and have no issues that I'm aware of. I'm very much in the minority with Futaba 

Edited By cymaz on 26/09/2017 06:46:58

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 26/09/2017 06:08:06:

I've got two DX6s, one is early, several years old and the other three years old. Originally I was nervous about dry batteries, but they last such a long time that in the end, I couldn't be bothered to convert them. The consumption rate must be very low. My DX7 is rechargeable. It must be one of the first, also several years old. I keep thinking I should buy something more recent, but it still works perfectly so have never bothered.

My Dx6i worked fine on dry batteries and I never had a failure the batteries lasted for ages. When I bought my DX6 I decided to install the Li-on battery, as previously posted when not in use it completely every 10 days or so.

I am not sure if the DX6 is at fault, or as previously stated the battery has a charge protection circuit built into it, and it is this circuit causing the problem. To determine if its a Tx or battery fault I intend to remove the li-on battery and fully charge it and leave it disconnected to see if it loses its charge as rapidly. At the same time I will fit dry cells in the Tx and see if they discharge.

Posted by Steve Colman on 26/09/2017 06:40:28:

I had a trim switch break on my DX6i many moons ago and it was a well known weak point back then. Luckily for me it didn't result in the loss of a model. Horizon sent me two new switches completely free without any fuss.

How things change.

I had this happen an I replaced all the trim switches with an after marked meatal upgrade.

I'm not an expert at all(!), but I could perhaps make a couple of remarks...

Looking at the above, all those who've had any kind of problem with Spektrum have changed something (e.g. Li pack option), whereas the gents who've just used Spektrum "straight out of the box" have never had a problem. The implications are obvious.

I started to fly RC properly 5 years ago. Using a Spektrum Tx, I decided to use 4 Eneloops and to charge them (externally, on a domestic fast charger), before every flying session. This takes around 30 minutes. It isn't a chore and is easily absorbed into the elapsed time between deciding to go flying and actually leaving the house, i.e. zero "additional time".

The bottom line is that I've never had the slightest problem, I'm totally satisfied and I certainly won't change anything while I never have a problem... I'm also tempted to add that perhaps some people can't resist "upgrading", for largely theoretical reasons, when the standard configuration does the job perfectly well.

Edited By brokenenglish on 26/09/2017 09:08:24

Posted by brokenenglish on 26/09/2017 09:07:08:

Looking at the above, all those who've had any kind of problem with Spektrum have changed something (e.g. Li pack option), whereas the gents who've just used Spektrum "straight out of the box" have never had a problem. The implications are obvious.

Not sure fitting a genuine Spektrum Li-on battery which is recommended by the manufacturer for the Tx would suggest the problem is obvious.

Straight out of the box for the dx6 would be Duracells (or similar).

Spektrum equipment works well but the current arrangements for repair and servicing are atrocious. Let me offer you two contrasting experiences.

When one of the trims failed on my DX6i a few years ago, I posted it off to Horizon Hobbies in England. It was repaired and returned to me without charge within a few days. I was generally pleased with Spektrum equipment so finding myself having a little money I bought a DX9, which comes with rechargeable batteries as standard,  reserving the other transmitter as a slave for use when teaching beginners. I was delighted with it until it failed to function completely in August.

Spektrum closed down their operation in England about six months ago so I felt that I had no other option but to send it to Horizon Hobbies HQ In Barsbuttel, Germany. I opted for a tracked service and know that it was delivered there on 21st August. Over one month later and I still haven't heard anything despite several emails and phone calls which are either unanswered or end up with a recorded message asking me to phone back. I can speak a little German having studied the subject as a youth. I have tried through their English and German options without success. Not impressed.

I can understand why Horizon Hobbies wanted to centralise their operation, I've heard that the company was losing money, but surely they could have anticipated a great increase in the demand for servicing if their British operation was closed down and surely they could have trained more staff in advance of closing down the English office.

In a recent RCM&E survey Spektrum was the most popular choice of radio, 36% of respondents having bought the equipment. If things carry on like this they'll lose lots of custom.

I wish I had heard of Mike Ridley before I posted my transmitter to Germany.

It's a good job I kept the DX6i. At least I can still go flying.

Edited By David Davis on 26/09/2017 10:25:45

It's amazing how the marketing behind a product can be counter-productive. Two or three times I've heard different people say how rubbish Spektrums radio must be if it needs satellite RXs to work. No amount of friendly explanation of the basic physics behind the idea would convince them otherwise, and that not all Spekky RXs use (or indeed require) satellites. Spektrum's main competitor realised this and I recall seeing a micky taking video on the subject.

I wish I knew why many people have trouble with Spektrum and equally, why loads of people never get a hint of bother.

Posted by David Davis on 26/09/2017 10:24:03:

It's a good job I kept the DX6i. At least I can still go flying.

Edited By David Davis on 26/09/2017 10:25:45

David,

I also kept my DX6i when I upgraded to a DX8. I had to send the new DX8 to the UK for repair after losing a couple of models for no apparent reason. The DX6i allowed me to keep flying in the meantime. The DX8 was repaired under warranty and has been faultless ever since but I still have the DX6i as a back up.

If I were to start all over again I would look to another manufacturer. However, I have a considerable investment in Spektrum gear in many models which, apart from the financial element, would be a nightmare to replace and set up.

Hello David D,

My wife has been in contact with HH Germany service department regarding my friend's DX9 repair.

There are details on the DX9 broken thread.

She has always gets through on the phone , only waiting max 3 minutes. She speaks fluent German and speaks direct to a man in service dept. Anyway my friends dx9 was sent from Germay to USA for repair. Last Friday it was in customs in Germany. Hope to ring today and see if it is on the way back today.

Geof

What does service agent mean? Does it mean that Als Hobbies takes care of representing HH in cases of dispute, where foe example, faulty goods are replaced or something along the lines that AH takes care of shipment of faulty items to Germany for repair.

Or perhaps non of the above.

Update to discharge problem when not in use the new DX6e.

Still complete discharge after 2 weeks will disconnect to see if li-on holds charge.

Should not happen when it is an expensive horizon upgrade ??

I like the radio not put off by this, may go back to dry cell to see if they last longer .