Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

On 02/06/2022 at 20:13, Graham R said:

Kevin, nice picture of your bf110 in flight.

Just returned from Wiltshire and whilst there I met with THE BOSS!

Took both my b110 and bf109 with me for their maiden. After setting up checks the 110 was lined up into wind, powered up and away she went - beautiful no trim changes, climbing circuit , wheels up, perfect!

another circuit AND what happened next? We were not really sure what happened - clockwise spin then heavy crunch into the corn field. ?.

Then it was time for the bf109 but that's another story.

Thanks Richard, good to meet you at last. A most enjoyable day.

Any more idea for the clockwise spin? Do you use counter rotating motors and props? Could the starboard ESC/motor quit? Do you any differential mixes?

Did it spin flat or drop a wing and roll in?

Apologies for asking, but I am still trying to pin down the reason for the demise of my Ta154 that spun in.

• 5 weeks later...

Morning chaps . You will remember that a few weeks ago , Graham R's Bf110 did some very strange things on its test flight . 

This silly old twerp was at the controls .  The take off was dead straight and no problem . She then chuffed around for a bit in the outfield while Graham brought the U/C up . 

All seemed well and as it cruised serenely over our heads in steady level flight , I was just about to say , "look Graham , hardly any trim change " . At that point she rolled straight over and spiralled down from 100ft. As with my original 110 , she was lazy on both aileron and elevator , just like the Ju88 . So I was surprised at the speedy roll , which I personally thought the ailerons were incapable of . 

The long and short of it was , we had to call in an expert . Winnie had been trained as a truffle hunter in Northern France , but as she couldnt speak French , never actually went there . However , she has been usefully employed as a Gremlin Hunter . 

These little monkeys are all over our models , as you all know .  

gr4.jpg

So I volunteered to get the 110 flying but not complete the cosmetic repairs . Grahams finish was superb so , it would not have been to his standard anyway .

Here are some vague shots of the test flight this morning . I didnt have my usual photographer so had to just grab another club member (Pete , thanks ) who was good enough to point his phone in the correct direction . 

GR1.jpg

GR2.jpg

GR3.jpg

• Like 4

Thankfully she behaved very well . With 3300 packs , no lead , or cowls . Flew for 4mins 30 sec with 57% left in the batteries. Only needed 2/3 throttle for scale speed . The ground tracking was straight and take off easy . Full power gave too much pitch up , so I will add a little down thrust . (I had to rebuild the motor box mounts from scrap so that may have been a factor) .  As before , she was nice a calm on the main flight controls . 

The best bit was the landing !! It was very hot and no wind so not ideal for test flying . 

However , those flaps at 45 degree are superb , much better than the ju 88 which ( as per full size) has under sized flaps. 

I wish we had a film of it but it was a real steady "air liner " style landing . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1