Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

As promised.... more info hot of the modelling table.

Good quality vacuum formed parts these are of a good thickness so are quite sturdy.

vacuum formed parts.jpg

As you can see by the cowling I have opted for a late version G and will be schemed to the one at RAF Hendon's museum.

The kit also has a cockpit plate to get you started in the 'office'

The laser cut parts are of a high standard. Hats off to Richards man here as the Spitfire, my first balsa build, had some heavy scorching and required a lot of carbon removal before gluing, these are perfect.

I think Richard may have been right to keep Sweep away from the beer!

laser cut parts.jpg

The wing panels are well protected in the box and I will store them as such until needed but had to have a peek !

wings.jpg

Now as this is my first foam cored build and for any other Noobs amongst the gang the marks on the veneer is a natural wood colouring and NOT dents, I had a sharp intake of breath when I first saw them but to prove a point.

wing panel illusion.jpg

The next step for me as a lesson I learnt from the Spitfire build (you old hands are no doubt not worried about this but us noobs need help) was to mark the tail feather ribs with a marker pen BEFORE releasing them from the sheet as they are very small differences in lengths and I didn't want to have to start measuring them and trying to sort them out later.

marking parts.jpg

I am going to build the tail as suggested in the manual and at Richards advice then the engine nacelle's so the area of domestic disruption and ear bashing is kept to a minimum. Well I am chomping at the bit here so more later

Thought for the Day...

If Richard can organise and have this little lot sorted and out to us at such a short notice maybe we ought to put him up for the next election for the main position. Show 'em how it's done!

TTFN

Posted by Graham Russell on 04/03/2017 10:56:53:

Looking really good. Can't wait but still can't decide which version.

Graham

It's the year 2325... after the nuclear holocost in a bunker sits Graham looking at his beloved BF110 box......still unopened, a C or even an E wait wait no an F mmm maybe not.....

To be continued......

cheeky

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 04/03/2017 16:30:37

i an just going to clone my post from the other thread as it is getting confusing. in future I will post all 110 related things here and future kit chat can go back to the other thread.

I dropped in to see Richard yesterday and offer up the Laser 70 to the new 110 .

It was nice to see the lads in action. They really seemed to be on top of the packing and were surprisingly chatty when not engrossed in proof reading the instruction book.

boys.jpg

Sweep does most of the organising but Graham does all the heavy lifting .

What a team ! The cream of British Kit manufacturing.

boys 1.jpg

For those pondering the fit of the Laser 70 it can be done. its a simple job really and just needs f1 cut through and a sub firewall glued a smidge further back. nice and simple. there is also plenty of space for a fuel tank and throttle servo.

I will say again though that the engine will overpower the model and I expect scale cruise speed to be achieved at about 50-60% throttle when using the performance limiting 3 blade props. That said, the lower rpm of the engines combined with their reliability and smoothness will be really nice. also if external stores are added the additional drag can easily be offset with the reserve of power. If anyone is happy with this and wants some engines let me know, if you already have engines that's fine and I am more than happy to offer tips on setup.

dsc_0292.jpg

Great to see Jon with the lads . Sorry I missed him .

Sweep used to be the one with issues after his many years with that damned bear and his manipulative sidekick the Panda .

However there has been a bit of role reversal lately . Sweep's really got his act together after getting into theology .He did some research on Zen and did three weeks in Tibet retracing the trail of his maternal Grandfather Woo. Came back as calm as you like , burning bloody joss sticks and rattling a little bell .

Funny thing is , while he was on the trip , Graham went the other way . Hit the sauce and the fags in a big way .Just when we thought it couldnt get any worse , he discovered Haribo . Took him to another level . Next thing we knew he was doing neat Tate and Lyle , What a mess ! As you can imagine , Fags , Booze and a massive sugar hit , a pretty ugly scene. Still , we run a tight ship here , so we're pulling through .

The back story of this business is a shocker .

Richard

I think you guys have a book in the making with the antics of Graham, Sweep and Panda. Looking forward to the next entries in their diaries.

May I offer a possible working title (borrowed from Spike Milligan)

Richard Wills - Our part in his downfall

Posted by Graham Russell on 05/03/2017 10:50:02:

I think you guys have a book in the making with the antics of Graham, Sweep and Panda. Looking forward to the next entries in their diaries.

May I offer a possible working title (borrowed from Spike Milligan)

Richard Wills - Our part in his downfall

I agree with you Graham there's a story there no doubt...... mmm..... he might have to make it an 18 only though.

quick update on build progress..

The tail has a little gotcha if you are not careful Luckily I had a moment and avoided it.

On the drawing it shows the bell crank on the top on the plan view but underneath on the elevation view. It Must go underneath. It is secured with a captive nut same as the wing bolts but smaller.

I bet Sweep was on the Moams again and forgot which way was 'up'..!

The screw provided is a very tight fit in the bell crank centre support and you will need to file/drill this out or it causes this to expand and jams/makes the bell crank very stiff.

20170305_141628.jpg

The instructions tell you to fit the ply plate and cut the underside in the skin to give access to the plate to fit the bell crank later. If you don't fit the captive nut BEFORE skinning you won't be able to fit that nut without cutting the top skin too. Oh and when you find the little u shaped piece of laser cut 1/4" wondering 'And where does this go?' you can see it fits as in the picture below just in front of the bell crank in the picture filling the cut out to support the skin.

20170305_143613.jpg

At this stage after locating and gluing in the ply plate I removed the bell crank then aligned the frame over the first skin and marked the location of the space occupied by the ply plate on the lower skin then skinned top and bottom at the same time holding together with masking tape and allowing it to dry.

20170305_144854.jpg

20170305_145909.jpg

I would make sure you use a good Loctite when you fit the bell crank as once in it will be a nightmare to get to.

More soon.... that is if you are not bored?

Thanks DD

Well you must be bored or have you been opening boxes?

Anyway a little bit more to bore you cheeky

I have got the elevators glued and the tail plane sanded.

No gotchas here just be careful sanding the trim tabs you don't want to damage the ribs.

Left elevator not yet sanded

left elevator to be sanded.jpg

Right hand elevator sanded down.

right hand elevator sanded.jpg

laid out to show...

sanded tailplane and elevators.jpg

No rocket science.....

All fits nicely.

Hi Richard
It's some guy I met over a coffee, wierd guy really....kinda spooky being followed around by a big green hairy bloke and little grey fella always on the white stuff. I think it was icing sugar.
Nice design though. Must get him to do some more.

Edited By Paul Johnson 4 on 07/03/2017 22:24:06

I'm interested in this model....., years ago now , I had a conversation on the phone with Richard about a twin he wanted to produce, ( the Heinkle I think it was) he may remember, but back then nothing came of it, now ....here is the 110. I want one...I hope I have not missed the boat.

So watching with interest.

D.D.

' Der Adler ist gelandet'!

The Bf 110 seems to have landed by my desk at work, thankfully it is a slow day so playing is the order of the day.

Top job Richard, looks like it is going to be a great build and the Waspen decals are spot on, may well use those instead of making the masks and air brushing, we will see.

First thoughts is to make the nose cone removable for battery access as this is going to be a leccy one, I have been looking around for sound systems and had planned on putting the speakers where the cooling rads are but have to do a bit more research on that one, I will be making the ordinance and bomb dropping mechanisms for under the Fuz and outer wings, was my first need when I first looked into building a 110 many years ago!

I have also started to make the plugs for the various bits and bobs that hang off the air frame such as the aileron balance weights and aerials which I intend to mould in flexible polyurethane resin to make them a little more user friendly.

Nice to have new toys to play with.

Posted by Nigel Dell on 08/03/2017 10:43:48:

' Der Adler ist gelandet'!

The Bf 110 seems to have landed by my desk at work, thankfully it is a slow day so playing is the order of the day.

Top job Richard, looks like it is going to be a great build and the Waspen decals are spot on, may well use those instead of making the masks and air brushing, we will see.

First thoughts is to make the nose cone removable for battery access as this is going to be a leccy one, I have been looking around for sound systems and had planned on putting the speakers where the cooling rads are but have to do a bit more research on that one, I will be making the ordinance and bomb dropping mechanisms for under the Fuz and outer wings, was my first need when I first looked into building a 110 many years ago!

I have also started to make the plugs for the various bits and bobs that hang off the air frame such as the aileron balance weights and aerials which I intend to mould in flexible polyurethane resin to make them a little more user friendly.

Nice to have new toys to play with.

Hope that you will put some pictures up for the rest of us to get ideas from.