Martin`s Lancaster 81"

Martin  McIntosh

I really do not need any more models but wanted something to keep me busy over the winter which this certainly did. Still in mourning over my lost TN 132" Lanc. I just had to make another, but this time electric and of a more manageable size. I could have done the TN 72" one but wanted something a little larger which I could call my own, so I started with just the 3 views. The chosen size was very easy to scale up, just measure to within 1/64 inch and multiply by 3.2. Even to five decimal places the dimensions came out to nice round numbers in inches.

I have added as much detail as I am capable of but drew the line at putting 1:15 little men in it, sorry. Still some gun barrels to add but I need to fly it first.

I took it to the field today to take the pics. and do some taxiing trials. There was very nearly air under the wheels on a fast run over as yet unmown grass.

As you will see the wiring was a nightmare, especially since I had to move a battery rearwards to get the cg somewhere near.

I have tried a new way of opening the bomb doors using a couple of small retract units.

Maiden will take place as soon as the patch has been sorted out.

martin`s lancaster 81 002.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 003.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 004.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 005.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 006.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 007.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 008.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 009.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 010.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 011.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 001.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 013.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 012.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 014.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 016.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 015.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 018.jpgmartin`s lancaster 81 017.jpg

Thanks guys. I started drawing this at the beginning of November. I was rather ill at the time and needed something to keep me busy but not requiring too much physical effort.

The big one? I wanted to win the local club scale comp. and took off in a crosswind. It weather cocked towards two large trees so I stupidly applied aileron instead of rudder to correct. It opposite yawed making matters worse, stalled and turned 180 degrees downwind. End of model. If I had kept the acetate and glass mouldings I may have built another.

Despite much goading by club members I was not about to make the same mistake again. Just taxiing around showed up a couple of things which required a little attention such as a screw needed in the rear wing tube which pulled out slightly on full power and the need for thread lock on the u/c grub screws.

Thanks again.

By far the hardest job was pulling the canopy and turrets. I have done a little of this before with some hit and miss success but despite building a better vacuum box the creasing got me nearly tearing my hair out. Got through an 8x4 sheet of PETG!

The wiring originally looked a little less scary than it does now but having to move the main batteries back a lot put paid to my bespoke looms. I was not about to start that lot again.

Quite a lot is crammed in there, six wing servos, two retract units, four motors with very heavy duty wiring, four ESC`s, rudder and elevator servos, two extra retract units, three nav. lights, home spun strobe unit plus switcher, four battery packs and a Failover switch. Oh, and there is a Rx and two satellites buried amongst that lot somewhere.

Martin

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 12/03/2017 10:41:05:

Thanks again.

By far the hardest job was pulling the canopy and turrets. I have done a little of this before with some hit and miss success but despite building a better vacuum box the creasing got me nearly tearing my hair out. Got through an 8x4 sheet of PETG!

The wiring originally looked a little less scary than it does now but having to move the main batteries back a lot put paid to my bespoke looms. I was not about to start that lot again.

Quite a lot is crammed in there, six wing servos, two retract units, four motors with very heavy duty wiring, four ESC`s, rudder and elevator servos, two extra retract units, three nav. lights, home spun strobe unit plus switcher, four battery packs and a Failover switch. Oh, and there is a Rx and two satellites buried amongst that lot somewhere.

Martin

I hope when you open the bomb doors all that stuff doesn't fall out !! face 3

I know Tom, but there is no space whatsoever to fit tanks and throttle servos. Even on the 132" one I had to settle for 6 and 8oz fuel tanks. Four OS 26`s would stick out all over the place and there is nothing smaller. Add 4x glow drivers and their batteries and switches for safety and -------! Could always fit a sound module or two but I need to get it flown before thinking of such things.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I am afraid I ran out of excuses, the wind being near perfect, so full power and fingers crossed.

I need not have worried. After 60m it sailed off no problem, just four clicks of up and it was flying straight and level.

I just need to add more aileron/rudder coupling. Power is adequate but not excessive. Maybe 35/30 motors instead of 28/30`s would have been better. I made two circuits and decided to land so that everything can be checked over and the battery usage measured. Landing needed a fair amount of power to be left on. I did not need to try the flaps as yet.

And no, nothing fell out Cymaz.

A few club members suddenly appeared just before take off, as they do, one videoing it with his mobile.

Yeeha, couple of sherbets to celebrate.

You are a brave man Martin, and gave good observations for all of us, namely not to power off and attempt any sort of glide in.

This had to be a " fly to the ground " ; wheels touching the deck, before power off, model, if you get my drift

Have no hesitation in 50% rudder to aileron mix with such a model as yours, giving you time to observe the graceful Lanc

How spectacular are your efforts, thankyou