Lidl XL Glider

Well, I copied Steves and Shaun has copied mine!    The first time out for Shauns Lidl-Wing was flat calm, but better this time:

Shauns radio is an old World Engines 'Digit Migit' with homebrew leckies inside... I think the Digit Migit was intended as a pylon racing set, only 3 channels...

Edited by Phil Green

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good stocks in Lidl porthmafog but selling well. I got 3 ( 9.99 each and still good value for money ) but saw 5 other customers taking them thru check out.

Slightly different to the last batch but no problem for an aeromodeller.

For the price they make perfect sense due to balsa/covering costs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently done Lidl number 5, for this one I wanted a powered lightweight for calm days on the slope.  Its my only Mk2, bought at the BMFA swapmeet.

The Mk2 is preferred by many as it has a chunkier fus hence more room inside, feathered trailing edges and a smoother finish overall - but for some reason this year Lidl went back to the Mk1.  

The Mk1 R/E glider version is a real floater so I went with R/E again and a tiny (30w?) BRC 1404 motor on 2S 500mAh and a 4x2.5 prop. 

I can get 30 minutes of climb-&-glide on a flat field so I'm well pleased with this one.  Flies inverted remarkably well for R/E too, steers fine!

Lidl gliders are the best tenner you will ever spend!

IMG_20220825_115535.jpg

IMG_20220826_141940.jpg

IMG_20220825_174854.jpg

Edited by Phil Green

6 hours ago, Phil Green said:

I've recently done Lidl number 5, for this one I wanted a powered lightweight for calm days on the slope.  Its my only Mk2, bought at the BMFA swapmeet.

The Mk2 is preferred by many as it has a chunkier fus hence more room inside, feathered trailing edges and a smoother finish overall - but for some reason this year Lidl went back to the Mk1.  

The Mk1 R/E glider version is a real floater so I went with R/E again and a tiny (30w?) BRC 1404 motor on 2S 500mAh and a 4x2.5 prop. 

I can get 30 minutes of climb-&-glide on a flat field so I'm well pleased with this one.  Flies inverted remarkably well for R/E too, steers fine!

Lidl gliders are the best tenner you will ever spend!

IMG_20220825_115535.jpg

IMG_20220826_141940.jpg

IMG_20220825_174854.jpg

Looks like a nice clean build that one Phi.

Steve 👍l

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the last couple of Lidl gliders in the local store, reduced to £6.99 each, so it would be rude not to. Having seen clubmate John Davidson's EDF version blasting round the sky this weekend I might try one as a chuck in the rucksack version for the slope - maybe with a spare Parkzone transmitter and  suitable micro receiver and one with a fan.

Found method for flattening the wing in Steve's other Lidl glider thread, flying wing Lidl glider or two...thanks Steve.

I have one of the smaller Lidl gliders which has a "leaning" tail/rudder to experiment with/make mistakes on. These are stocked by TOFS ( factory shop) and elsewhere for about £4, in Lidl again from Sunday.

Small so easily transportable via m/cycle to my nearest slope. Bike ride, good excercise to the slope face and then flying fun, brilliant.

Edited by Rich Griff

Thanks Keith, saw a similar you tube video...will give it a try on the "experimental" donor small glider...

Also watched a yt vid which came up after watching, I knew there was a job for the small domestic relatively cheap steam generator I see in Aldi/Lidl from time to time. A toy for steam cleaning automotive stuff but looks ideal for foam repairs, and some house hold stuff.

Jamjar piggy bank started off for its purchase as I speak/write.

7 hours ago, Keith Billinge said:

image.thumb.png.0cf1c80cffd500481ab389b88171a406.pngimage.thumb.png.5889151f9ba8def1f65ab80d0bc57bcd.png

My second foray into Lidl Town is the plank wing style pusher. I 3D printed the adjustable motor mount and now need to mount a pair of servos dn runs some wires.

You have done a nice job their so far . I find 3D printed parts being used more and more for these home brew foam jobbies.

Steve

Looking at your marker-pen outline Keith, I've seen a lot of lidls where the nose is so deeply recessed that theres very little strength left, for example this one from the facebook group:

image.png.77f878d70cb4bd9e06cfa6b0ad62ae7b.png

...  better to cut away as little as possible for a 'just fit' 🙂

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...