help / What model first for newbie..

Chris Chaplin

Hello Chris,

If you are able to join a club and get tuition, then 4 ch every time. If however you are thinking of goinig it alone, then you may possibly find 3 ch easier (powered glider style model). There are loads of trainer type models on the market, I suggest you look at the "newbie" sections on this forum and, if possible, visit a club and talk to them.

All the best.

ah well, you're half way there then. In my opinion, you are still better to go for a high wing trainer to begin with, but get one with a semi-symmetrical aerofoil wing, not flat bottomed, as this will take you through to basic aerobatics and well capable of the "B" and beyond.

Simon, I gather from your comments that a flat bottomed high wing trainer does not meet with your approval for A/B test passing... Could you explain please ? At this point I have to declare my interest as an owner (I think) of one of said flat bottom wing machines, a Seagull Arising Star. Thanks.

Hi Chris,

The flat bottom wing is the basic form of aerofoil designed for lift, the faster it travels through the air, the more lift it generates. In models this is countered by mounting the engine with down thrust. But it also means that if there is a breaze blowing down the strip, then the wing is generating lift standing still making it more differcult to land on a windy day as the model is trying to lift while you're trying to force it down.  A semi or fully symmetrical sectioned wing cuts through this better as other factors come into play to make this sort of section fly (angles of incident etc). Therefore, over years of teaching budding pilots to fly, in my opinion, a semi/fully symmetrical is much easier to cope with.

As for the A&B tests; the Arising star will do the A no problem but will struggle with the B where you need to perform outside loops and passable rolls. Again its the wing section that will let you down. A semi/fully symmetrical wing will perform just as well inverted where a flat bottom wing will struggle.

Now , stand back and wait for the bombardment of comments from guys I have just upset !

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the explanation which makes perfect sense to me... however it does almost present a challenge to get my flying skills to the point where the moves can be executed even with a non ideal wing section.....

Of course that is a long way in the future as I have just crashed my 'Star' due to getting too frustrated waiting for the weather to be suited to my minimal abilities. See the 14th post on this thread:- here 

I have decided that the quickest way to get back into the air is to purchase another Arising Star and keep the new wing as a spare (in case I decide to have a go at repairing the broken fuselage over the winter). Hopefully I will have finished the build and radio swapover by tomorrow night so that I can get it checked out at our local clubnight when I go down there.

Given my current attrition rate, I may have something completely different by the time it comes to thinking about doing the tests. 

i have a Boomerang and what chris says is spot on it will take you further than an Airising Star they are a very good starting point there is a buid blog on one if you want to look probably on the second page of threads as its not been updated for a while, and you  can get them readily for £40 which is a lot of model for the money and if you stuff it you wont break the bank replacing it either