Acro Wot Kit

Michael Little

Ill Look into that Ken thanks, i see carbon copies make these, do they work well on grass as our clubs strip is grass?

And if you have some Plane flyer i would be very grateful, am i right in thinking i can just use pliers to secure the clips supplied for the wire? or do i need a crimping tool?

And i have noticed on the photos people have used metal clevis's is this better than using the supplied plastic clevis's?

Unfortunately not much further with the plane as the moment as my daughter has chicken pox meaning i haven't been able to build on the night as i have been doing, however she's getting better now and i have put a tank of fuel through my OS AX55 so i can mount it in the plane and see where servos and suck need to sit for good COG, then its painting hopefully!

Mike

mike...pliers are fine if you don't be too brutal,good quality plastic clevis are ok also ... and a good old wire skid on the tail is ok for the grass strips..in the old days Wots were thrown together in all forms and flew with very little TLC....

ken Anderson...ne...1....belt and braces/TLC Dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 20/07/2017 11:03:47

Thanks very much rc plane flyer ill attempt to do mine soon hopefully so the pictures will be a very handy guideline for me to follow!

Cheers Jon i would like the versatility a steerable tailwheel first however if now ill just get a skid! & for the sake of the price i might just get metal ones considering the price of everything else just to be sure!

Mike

One little tip is not to sheet the bottom of the rear fuselage until you have installed the closed loop and aileron control rod. It isn't essential but makes it a bit easier. I left the "lid"off the engine compartment until later for the same reason. I also glass covered my Acrowot like you and it's very very strong. It used to have an OS80 four stroke in it but I now use a OS55 with tuned pipe and it is very fast. I built mine as per Chris Foss instructions using two separate aileron servos and his steerable tail wheel design. It's a great fun plane and so much stronger than an ARTF. Sorry one extra tip to add is about cutting closed loop or braided wires. Some braided wires unravel when cut. A tip is to apply a small bit of solder ( about 1cm)on the bit you intend to cut, then cut it with pliers in the middle. You will then have a solid end which is easy to thread through small holes. I also always tend to use boden cable(sleeved wire) for throttle linkages as it is far mor flexible and can run around tanks etc. 

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 21/07/2017 09:48:27

"One little tip is not to sheet the bottom of the rear fuselage until you have installed the closed loop and aileron control rod. It isn't essential but makes it a bit easier."

more than "a bit" easier I would say!

did you mean elevator?

Unfortunately I've already made the fuselage so unfortunately ill just have to manage now!

How do you find the os55 mounting, did you have to angle it a bit? i think i might buy the exhaust extension so i can mount it straight! & yes i think it looks as strong as it will need to be now i have covered it all. And ill have to look into the bowden wire, never seen that before.

Im just need to complete the wing now so i can paint, I'm just stuck on the aileron torque rods, i don't get what they are for, can't i just put another hinge there and leave them out or am i missing something?

Hi Michael

In the old days the normal installation was a single, central servo driving the ailerons via torque rods. This is the basis the kit is sold on.

More recently, a separate servo driving each aileron directly has become the norm.

If you have fitted two aileron servos, one for each surface, then the torque rods supplied in the kit are superfluous, and you should just post them to me and forget you ever heard the term.

If, however , you are planning on using one, central servo for the ailerons we need to talk further...

Yes i think I'm going to try the extension set for the exhaust as it will just make getting the 2 degree thrust angle easier.

Yes in my kit i have 1 servo in each wing for the ailerons so i can just ignore the torque rods then? This would make it so much easier i think just having an extra set of hinges rather than the torque rod!

Thanks Again for your help with this build Tim!yes

• 11 months later...

20180702_214201.jpgHi guys, I thought I would post an update as I've started building again, I've finished all painting and connecting all servos and connecting all control surfaces. I have installed a fuel tank and not I just need to install a receiver (Frsky 6 channel) and add a battery and connect the tail wheel to the rudder. For the battery to power the servos do I need to get just a Nicad receiver battery? Im not sure what to do as I've only ever flown electric and I just plugged the lipo into the ESC. Thanks, Mike