Do they still print textbooks these days ?

I thought everything was published online for people to download.

With regards to library's, have you been in one lately ? They don't have many books in them and you try ordering something to borrow (if they can get it !).

Anyway, that's a soap box for another thread.

The general impression then is, I assume (either correctly, or incorrectly) that the magazine side of the company has completely gone and that everything else is likely to be available again.

Not only that, but RCM&E might have themselves a new advertiser. It's an ill wind they say.

Posted by kc on 02/08/2017 15:35:10:

It's worth saying that there seems to have been 2 Sarik companies - Sarik Hobbies may be newer than Sarik Vacform. Sarik Vacform made parts for our hobby for many years I think, with addresses in Bristol & Ledbury.

Saric vacform doesn't exist on companies house. It could have been a trading name, or just not a limited company?

Posted by Fanyak on 02/08/2017 20:20:42:

Just seen, Australian Airborne magazine has closed too.

Yes, I was horrified to see that even "Australia's No. 1 top selling magazine for the radio controlled aircraft enthusiast" has fallen victim to the general malaise. It was always a good read.

Understandably, they are a bit miffed: **LINK**

Posted by KiwiKid on 03/08/2017 03:28:48:
Posted by Fanyak on 02/08/2017 20:20:42:

Just seen, Australian Airborne magazine has closed too.

Yes, I was horrified to see that even "Australia's No. 1 top selling magazine for the radio controlled aircraft enthusiast" has fallen victim to the general malaise. It was always a good read.

Understandably, they are a bit miffed: **LINK**

That's very bitter blaming the consumer. Maybe they should have tried moving with the times. Anyway, I have a LMS on my doorstep but don't use them because the service is rubbish - I'm I supposed to support them anyway? angry

Edited By Rich2 on 03/08/2017 06:27:49

Yes it was a bit of a shock about Airborne, just out of the blue, I aways bought one although the majority of the reviews seem to be arfs but that's a sign of the times I suppose, as an ex pat Brit I usually pick up the British mags when I see them but they are a couple of months out of date by the time they hit the newsagents, I will watch out for a new Aussie mag but so far have heard nothing, I hope so, our hobby needs some support, luckily I do have a good model shop 20 minutes drive away and he has a wide variety including a good stock of balsa and dare I say it, some proper kits as well, just bought a Top Flite Mustang kit this morning, I will finish the BT FW190 then its either the TN Spit or the Mustang, what a dilemma!!

I totally agree with Rich (now there's a first! smile). Its down to the product provider to give the customer what he/she wants - that how it works! - not the other way round. If it were so that the duty is on us to simply "lap up" what's provided without question then we would never progress and shops would still be selling candles as the main means of lighting!!

It's very sad when any modelling enterprise goes under - nobody wants that - but I'm afraid if what is written there is indicative of how the staff on this mag thought about their customers then it was inevitable!

BEB

yes i feel the same Danny.

my claim form for monies owed has been sent in, but i don't expect to get anything back.sad

Lets hope that sarik make a success of their new venture and that we all gain in the long run.

still, life goes on...i suppose.

Tony B

Edited By Tony Bennett on 03/08/2017 10:26:43

To know why Traplet failed, you need far more information than I am aware of. What seems reasonable to assume, the new owners and management of the assets, will necessarily have to change some aspects of the business.

I can only hope that the staff continue to have a future within the new business. Again, things will change, if a repetition is to be avoided.

We have debated LMS, building from Plans, Building from Kits ad nauseam. The underlying story is that model making in general is a diminishing market, in a world of increasing populations. I am hoping that the new owners of what was Traplet and RCM&E are managing this process, as it is at the moment.

Like many I hope for a re-assurgance for our hobby. The general signs indicate otherwise, probably restrictions on where and how people fly, workers either having little time, lack the disposable money or the inclination to either make or fly a plaything.

In my opinion it is essential that RCM&E, the BMFA, keeps their eyes on the ball. and do not allow themselves to be side tracked from making sure that todays issues are addressed, as without today, there will not be a tomorrow.

At present this and the Fury thread have been concerned with availability of existing plans and bits. Going forward, I'm wondering how RCME will distribute their plans in future. Presumably not all future plan sets yet to be designed and presented will be free inserts in the mags. Hopefully Sarik will take on where Traplet left off with designs yet to be published.

Gordon

Just had a reply from Sarik.

"

As and addition to the previous statement regarding Sarik Hobbies, please be aware that the company has not taken on any of the liabilities of Traplet Publications, whose creditors should consult the administrators MB Insolvency, using the contact details below:

Email: [email protected]

"

You have no idea how angry I am with this stance. I appreciate that this is quite a legitimate position to take and I would be (a little) more sympathetic if Sarik was not managed by the same directors who were responsible for Traplet.. Morally, I think it absolutely stinks

Martyn

Martin you have hit the nail on the head. with the law as it stands the directors of 'Limited Companies' are not held responsible for the debts of said company if it goes broke and can (and often do) re start what is in effect the same company with a slight change of company name whilst leaving the customers of the old company 'up the creek' an feel nothing for them. In other words pull the ladder up I'm OK.

Yes it stinks.angry

If it was only that simple! I'd have done the same years ago! However in my case Its been 35 years years of pain and sweat not to mention a huge amount of investment!

I don't think that the Directors of Traplet would have taken the decisions lightly. As an unsecured creditor I'm waiting to find out the full measure of the problem .

The statement on the Australian Magazine sums it up very well as this a World wide issue for the retail industry. Magazines rely on both its Subscribers and advertisers (and that appears to be a somewhat diminishing number! - apologies I'm also generalising) .

Best of luck to the chaps at Sarik . I look forward to seeing what they will be offering to the hobby.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/08/2017 08:07:34:

I totally agree with Rich (now there's a first! smile). Its down to the product provider to give the customer what he/she wants - that how it works! - not the other way round. If it were so that the duty is on us to simply "lap up" what's provided without question then we would never progress and shops would still be selling candles as the main means of lighting!!

It's very sad when any modelling enterprise goes under - nobody wants that - but I'm afraid if what is written there is indicative of how the staff on this mag thought about their customers then it was inevitable!

BEB

Indeed it is (a first!) laugh

Martin, I feared that Sarik would take this position but hoped for the best. Fortunately I had no outstanding orders with Traplet but feel for the folks who had. I agree that this is a legitimate position for them to take but in my view morraly wrong, so my legitimate position will be to not have any dealing with this company in any shape or form and wish them the success they deserve 😠

Paul.

Sorry chaps business is not and never has been run on philanthropic lines. If the ship starts sinking first one to the life boat is not women and children.

Majority of millionaires in this world have left a trail of destruction behind them.

Them again I am on old cynic.

I have taken out a two year subscription for the RCJet international magazine, mighty sad that mag has now gone as it was the only one that I read having stopped all the others including RCM&E as not worth the money they cost me

I am with Martyn I am afraid, to me it is theft to wrap up the parts of a company that are failing and start again with the bits you want to keep. If the enterprise had gone to somebody else then I would have applauded them for taking a chance of making a go of it, and given them my full support.

However the plans and parts market is very niche and quite small, the damage the Traplet/Sarik directors have done to their reputation within our hobby is shameful, even if it isn't illegal. The cost to honor the orders would have been small by comparison. I spent money less than a month ago on parts that I now have to pay the same people for again, with no guarantee that I will get those parts!

To pass the burden to the credit card companies just pushes all our banking and credit fees up.

I am not alone in saying that I will now find other ways of sourcing parts and plans.

Danny

RCMW is still on sale today at WH Smith and Tesco with an issue for August that came onto the shelves after the problem was anounced. That issue does have a very interesting free plan for a 54 inch sleek looking i.c. aerobatic design by John Rutter.  Also an article on using lithoplate .  Worth a look. ( Tesco have RCMW bundled with a free RC Jet magazine too)
If enough people actually bought this issue it might influence whether any other firm decides to buy the magazine side!

Edited By kc on 03/08/2017 14:03:32